Used a pouch sling 8 years ago, now what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch that I absolutely adored - we used that sucker for years and years. It's the only piece of baby gear I saved - that's how much I loved it.

Besides the fact that my last baby was a November baby and this one on the way is a June baby (no way can I carry an infant in fleece in July/August!) - I've been reading that the pouch slings aren't really acceptable anymore? At least for small infants? I can imagine it's still alright for a hip carry (although I found it much more comfortable early on).

I have no idea what to do. I loved how quick and easy the KK sling was - I could pop it on, pop baby in and be moving within 20 seconds. Everything else I see seems to be more cumbersome, have substantially more material or will take much longer to get baby positioned properly - and if that's the case, I'm afraid I won't even want to do much babywearing. :(

So help me out if you know more than I do! I'm totally overwhelmed with where to start and what my choices are. I had a Maya wrap once upon a time (10 years ago with my first baby) and barely ever reached for it. I just didn't like how much material I had to deal with, it wasn't as portable as the KK pouch and the sling would slip after some use, no matter what I tried to do differently.

Is there an awesome pouch style that's acceptable? Or a super, super easy sling that provides quick in and out for baby?

Thanks so much!

Wife to the sweetest man in the world and Mama to 2 precious boys (7 and 9), and one little miracle girl (born June '13)

#2 of 4 Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM

I don't think pouches are a complete no for a newborn. You just need to ensure the fit is good (for you) and that you are very very aware of positioning and the baby's status at all times. I like the TICKS acronym:

Tight: Baby is hugged close to body. No slack in fabric allowing baby to slump

In View at all Times

Close Enough to Kiss

Keep Chin off Chest: Atleast a finger width seperate

Supported Back: If you put a hand on their back the baby does not uncurl and press into you more. 

That being said, I personally think a ring sling is an awesome carrier for a newborn. Very adjustible for different wearers and as baby grows. Can use on high chest, midchest, and then hip and back as baby grows. If you get a size appropriate for you there won't be a ton of extra fabric. Sleeping Baby Productions does an extremely high quality, low cost ring sling. Ring slings also come in a variety of fabrics, I would recommend a single layer linen for your June Baby. In the summer (or when cold) the tail on the sling can make a great sun or wind shade for baby (not totally covering of course)

p.s. Hi - we are both due in June together!!!

* evidence based crunch *

#3 of 4 Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for responding! I'm looking into the sling you rec'd. I'm willing to try something new, but will so miss my fleece KK pouch!

Wife to the sweetest man in the world and Mama to 2 precious boys (7 and 9), and one little miracle girl (born June '13)

#4 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM

I used a Seven Slings (and actually liked it!) until my baby outgrew it. There are usually offers on the web for a "free" sling (you just pay for the shipping) so I had a sling for like $12. People complain that the material is cheap but I liked how light it was and the fabric was pretty stylish.
I saw reviews that it wasn't very popular with most people but I was pretty happy with mine.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page