how often do you nurse in your sling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-21-2004, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious... I've only nursed in my sling a few times. How frequently do other mamas nurse using their sling, and what are you doing while you're nursing? Also, how old is your dc? And what carrier do you use to nurse the most?

The few times I've nursed with the sling have been at casual events, where I was gently walking. I haven't done it for a while, though. I hope to do it more when I get myy new ABC.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#2 of 15 Old 04-21-2004, 08:01 PM

I nursed my oldest ALL THE TIME in our OTSBH. I'm still learning in my wrap. I nursed at the San Diego zoo, while grocery shopping, while...any time! Most people were oblivious, too.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 15 Old 04-21-2004, 09:30 PM

Um are they supposed to use the sling and NOT nurse? Joe seemed attached at the titty when in the sling for the first 6 months or so (Unless DH was wearing him ) but really I wore my sling all the time so nursing was pretty much every feeding in the sling.
#4 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 AM

When we are out and Bleuet is in the sling or Bjorn, given enough time he will eventually want to bf. So we do, although in the beginning I NEVER thought I would learn how. I am looking to get a new carrier that is very bf-friendly for a small toddler.
#5 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 AM

My huge and non-cooperative boobs make breastfeeding in the sling impossible. So sad... I did actually manage it once, but it took so much effort to get started, definetly wasn't discreet(not that I care that much about that)that is just wasn't worth it. I have to say, I am always envying those who can just stroll around with their little ones nursing contently.

Once I was at the mall, on the upper level, and saw a women on the lower level walking with her baby in a sling and nursing. From up above I could see everything, but I know that people on the lower floor had no idea! I grabbed dh and said "look, look...isn't that so sweet?!
He wasn't to thrilled to be staring down another mamas breast, but he agreed with me just the same!:LOL

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#6 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 AM

sling nursing is so much easier once they can sit on your hip - that's what i do, even with my huge breasts! - she just sits on my hip and is at just the right level to nurse. its great
#7 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MyHeadIsRed
My huge and non-cooperative boobs make breastfeeding in the sling impossible. So sad... I did actually manage it once, but it took so much effort to get started, definetly wasn't discreet(not that I care that much about that)that is just wasn't worth it. I have to say, I am always envying those who can just stroll around with their little ones nursing contently.
I have big huge boobs too, but I have found two things that help, one get a good supportive nursing bra, one that has support even when open that helps a LOT. The other thing is make the sling lower, and throw a blanket (or the tail of the sling if you can) over the top part of the boobie. since my sag bags are lower than ladies with the bitty titties the sling has to be worn lower to nurse in it, a bit harder on the back, but it is easy once you get the hang of it.
#8 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 08:52 AM

sh'es almost 11 months now and i'd say if it's not at night (nurse lying down in bed) she's *always* nursing in the sling..it's the only way she'll nurse..otherwise gets too distracted.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#9 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 PM

I never got the hang of nursing in the sling with dd#1. With dd#2, basically whenever she wants. I lift my shirt up, she takes a couple of sips and falls asleep. We have a wrap carrier and using the newborn cross carrier. What am I doing when she's nursing in the sling? Hmm, sometimes taking a walk, reading to dd#1, on the computer...
#10 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 01:28 PM

When we're away from home, I try to always have a stling along in case my 17 month old wants to nurse. She's too heavy to hold and nurse while standing without. (I could do that when she was small) You have to be comfortably with both nursing and sling use before you can really combine them. It's easier after they learn to latch themselves on. All I have to do is get the cloth out of the way.
#11 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 01:43 PM

Everyday. Ds is 16 mos and I nurse him down to sleep for his nap and nighttime everyday. We use a maya exclusively for nursing and we it. I'm thinking of getting another one in a totally diff color tho 'cause as soon as I put it on he wants to nurse That way I can have one we use for out and about.
#12 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

This is so interesting! For some reason I had the idea that it was easier to nurse little babies in the sling, but it seems like a lot of y'all nurse older ones. That is really cool.

I think my problem with sling nursing was maintaining a latch, plus my sling (OTSBH) isn't really that adjustable... I should be getting 2, maybe 3 new carriers, so I really really hope one of them will be better for nursing!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#13 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 PM

Yeah, the OTSBH is much harder to nurse in than our maya. I learned to sling-nurse with the maya and now I can make the OTSBH work for us when needed but with the maya you can cinch it up as tight as you need to maintain a comfy latch position.
#14 of 15 Old 04-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Quote:
since my sag bags are lower than ladies with the bitty titties
:

That is it exactly!!!:LOL

I need to get a sling with a tail. Right now all we have is a Bjorn and a OTSBH. We are waiting for a Kozy.
I also didn't realize that I could nurse an older babe in the sling. Hey, it might even be easier now! We will give it another try.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#15 of 15 Old 04-23-2004, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These days I mostly nurse DD in the Kozy, although I can still also nurse her in the maya wrap in hip or cradle carry, we just don't use it as much.

I nurse in the carrier/sling whenever we're out:
On the bus
in the grocery store
walking or sitting
while pushing stroller full of groceries home
in the mall
etc.
Almost every day, sometimes most of the day.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page