Hot baby in hot weather - carrier advice needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am just wondering what would be the best SSC for hot weather?

I live in Santa Fe, NM so although it is mild until end of May/beginning of June I am having a baby in the end of April/May sometime. I've been EDD for this baby is May 7th. I have a Maya ring sling for the beginning few weeks. My firstborn son was a hot box. Like, sweaty from a few weeks to now. He is almost four and still sweats even at winter in bed. So, if little brother is anything like big brother I would like to have a cool SSC for the summer. My goal is to spend $200.00 or less for a SSC. 

Also, this baby will be around 7 lbs due to his big brother being just under 7 lbs, and 19.5 inches long. My firstborn also tended to fatten up really fast before 4 months breaking 16 lbs and at 6 months 22 lbs.

#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had a summer baby this time too. We've had temps above 35C and we've been ok with the Beco Gemini. It's hot and we're both sweaty but it's not unbearable. I find adjusting my shirt or draping a cloth over me so her head isn't resting against my bare skin helps us both.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I had a summer baby this time too. We've had temps above 35C and we've been ok with the Beco Gemini. It's hot and we're both sweaty but it's not unbearable. I find adjusting my shirt or draping a cloth over me so her head isn't resting against my bare skin helps us both.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I am 5'1 and I am worried it may be too long on me.

#4 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Not a all, I'm 5'6".

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM

I am due on August 4th. I run hot so even when it cools down, I need something light weight as well.  ESP also runs warm so I found most of the slings too hot for the two of us. Back then, HotSlings made a soft mesh fabric sling that was perfect for us. The photo is from a trip to Hershey Park in July. I can't find the mesh Hotsling anymore but ....

There are more choices now.

http://www.theslingstation.com/summer.html

This list some light weight slings.  I am considering the TaylorMade Water Sling

which can be used out of the water up to 35lbs

#6 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM

http://store.bobafamily.com/boba-air/     I am also thinking of getting a Boba and they have a lightweight version. 

#7 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

DD was a winter baby (Nov 13) but she's super hot blooded all the time so when summer hit and she was 7/8 mos and 20 + lbs and not walking, I carried her everywhere in my ring sling with no issue.  I've got a single and double layer linen, neither of them were too hot here in CT or even while visiting my sister in SC.

#8 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM

ErgoBaby Performance carrier has been good to us in the hot and humid DC weather. My daughter is also a big baby. I would put an ice pack in the front pouch (where the hood is stored), carry an umbrella for shade, and periodically dampen her legs with a water bottle.
#9 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I heard the boba air has very little padding. That is the only thing i'd be concerned about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESPMadre View Post

http://store.bobafamily.com/boba-air/     I am also thinking of getting a Boba and they have a lightweight version. 

#10 of 10 Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM

How about an Action baby Carrier? It is a lightweight SSC so it is cooler and more comfy compared to bulky ones. My DD and DH was also a sweaty, but DH can still wear DD for a long time in this carrier and DD loves being in this. It only cost $98 (standard size- Weight limit-15-40lbs), $114(toddler size-Weight limit 15-45lbs.). By the way, I'm 5'2, DH is 5'9 and we both can use our ABC. Hope this helps.Goodluck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER-W_l5jTLA

http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/shop/happy/

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page