He HATES slings!:( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
I have a seven week old baby who LOVES to be carried and "in arms," but seems to really detest every carrier I try to use with him. We have an adjustable fleece pouch from KK that we used in the vertical position for the first few weeks, but now he seems too big for that and he doesn't seem to like going in in the kangaroo hold or sideways. We also have a maya wrap- absolutely the ONLY way he'll sit in that is in the vertical position facing me, with his legs dangling out. We also have a baby bjorn, which he sometimes tolerates but more often does not like. What am I doing wrong?!!! We didn't buy a stroller because I LOVE the idea of attachment parenting and I want to be as close to my baby as much as possible. However, my visions of wearing my darling son around the house while I do laundry, clean, etc seem to be shattered. He will only hang out in a carrier without screaming if he is exhausted and we go for a walk outside and he sleeps. Please help! Is there a different sling I should try? Anyone else have this problem? Any special holds?
THANKS!

Meg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-21-2004, 08:57 PM

It's actually really, really common for babies to not like slings until you head out for a walk.

Honestly, the idea that you'll be doing housework while slinging your newborn really doesn't pan out for most of us (at first).

My DD hated it too, until I went for a walk. I'd barely be halfway down the block and she'd be happy as a clam and she slept all the time in it. But if I put her in it at home even if I tried to move around, it didn't work. So I'd usually go for a walk around the block and then come back in.

Take heart though, they do get better when they are older. As soon as DD started to take an interest in the outside world and things going on around her, she was fascinated by everything I did around the house and was quite happy in the sling.

So put baby in the sling or pouch and head out for a walk. I'll bet you dollars to donuts he'll be a happy baby in no time.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Maybe you could try putting him in his sling only after he has a full tummy and is rested. In other words, get him as happy as you can before you try to wear him. It worked for me. Then after few days to a week my daughter was more comfortable with the sling.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 11:28 AM

If it's any consolation, they often grow into it. I was disappointed when I finally bought a OTSBH when my son was 2 or 3 months old and he hated it! DH would never let me buy another one, until I recently borrowed a MnM pouch and a friend gave me a Rev Jan she didn't like. He's gotten pretty fond of them, and it took me over a month to return the pouch! I'm getting a Kozy now.

My son was the same way, only liked being upright and with arms/legs fairly free. His personality is one where he must know what is going on at all times, so I think that was part of it. Use whatever works, occasionally try new positions, borrow different types of slings or pouches and see if your baby likes those better, and reintroduce old ones every now and then to see if baby has warmed up to them.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#5 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 PM

Since he likes to be held, try to mimic how he likes to be held but with the sling. At first the sling may only substitute for one arm, but that's one arm free right?

My daughter never tolerated any position that confined her legs. Some kids are just like that.
#6 of 10 Old 04-22-2004, 01:43 PM

up until recently, ds was the same way; would only tolerate the MW in the vertical position. about 3-4 weeks ago he developed a sudden passion for the kangaroo hold, so we used that a lot. now we have a new kozy and so we're getting used to that (he's just too heavy to use the MW for long stretches of time, and as he gets more wiggly it feels less secure to me). i'm disappointed because he is completely opposed to being carried on my back, which is the main reason i wanted the kozy, but i have faith he will change his mind about that.

anyway, i think the moral is just don't stress and keep practicing and offering him different options, and at different stages he will enjoy different things.
#7 of 10 Old 04-23-2004, 11:09 AM

I can second what most others have said here. DD was not into OTSBH and I think is because she hated lying down and being squished even though I read that she was *supposed* to love that. We sold the OTSBH and got a Maya Wrap. She only likes being upright and I have yet to nurse with her in it, let alone do that hands-free. She'll definitely chill once we head out on a walk. I can use the hipcarry for about a half hour doing stuff around the house but really no longer and that's recent. I was sure that she would NEVER enjoy slinging given our first experiences but sticking with it sure did make a difference for us. I imagine that there are some babies out there who just don't like it (some of us don't like chocolate although most of the world sure does ) but hope you'll try different things. I too am getting a Kozy in hopes that she'll do a back carry. Good luck to you!
#8 of 10 Old 04-24-2004, 12:18 AM

I will be the bubble burster and say my dd never got into them (she's 5 1/2 now, so I can pretty confidently say our slinging days are over :LOL). She did not like to be "confined" in any way. She didn't even like to be hugged close. She did, however like to be up on my shoulder from a very early age. Just not up on my shoulder in a sling. She liked the snugli though so maybe if I had heard of wrap slings I could have tried one of those and used the front upright carry (have one with ds and love it). Good luck
#9 of 10 Old 04-24-2004, 12:39 AM

just another idea..i've read lots on here abt babies with reflux who *only* wanted to be held upright..or maybe an ear infection..just some other ideas to think abt..maybe its not the sling so much as the discomfort he feels lying down

my dd was this way till i cut out all dairy and a couple weeks later it was a big improvement

hope things get better soon

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#10 of 10 Old 04-26-2004, 11:46 AM

This might sound dumb, but have you tried nursing him in it? My dd didn't care for the sling until she found out she could nurse any time, any place in it, though at that age I mostly used it for grocery shopping and trips to Wal-Mart. She was a little older before she wanted to be in it while I did house keeping. I know this isn't as AP, but she also really liked to sit in her bouncer and watch me work, I talked to her the whole time and I felt like it was a positive thing. Good luck.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page