most user-friendly sling for a newbie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2004, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok mamas, my good friend is pregnant with her second. She's never used a sling before, not sure if she's even aware of them, and I'd like to get her one and a doll sling for her 3 yo. So what do you suggest as a very easy-to-use sling for her? I started with an OTSBH myself but did not get the hang of it till ds was about 4 mos and could ride in the hip carry, I had the video too! I'm thinking New Native. I haven't used it myself but it looks pretty basic and self-explanatory and really good for a newborn. Anyone have any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 PM

I would get a hotsling if you want a pouch--cheaper and better sizing, and you will be supporting a WAHM to boot. Plus they're better looking. The NN tends to be too big or too small but rarely just right, KWIM?

My vote would be for the MamaBaby. All the benies of a ring sling with a super-low learning curve because of the stretch and the simple fan shoulder.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 PM

Pouch! No rings, no adjusting, easy on and off. Most user-friendly sling IMHO...

Old 04-22-2004, 07:21 PM

I would get an adjustable pouch like a KKAFP or MomnMe. THere is no learning curve, just pop the baby in and you're done! I wouldn't get a hotsling because it's non-adjustable so if you're buying it for her it would be hard to get exactly the right fit. Also if she is bf'ing she would want to looosen it a bit to wear the baby lower.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:04 PM

I would get either a hotsling (PRICE!) or a Pea in the Pod!

THe hotsling's price is just TOO good though!!!

Kimberly
Old 04-22-2004, 08:28 PM

I'm all for pouches, and if they're adjustable, that's better, because I'm assuming you won't be able to measure her. I personally like the Maya Pouch for newborns. But the MamaBaby is a good choice too. It's almost as easy as a pouch but so much more versatile! And the KKACP is another one that people seem to like for newborns, because you can do the tummy to tummy upright hold that so many babies like.

-Kate
Old 04-23-2004, 12:02 AM

I found that pouch slings were (are), by far, the easiest slings to use. I loved my KKAFP when my son was a nb.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:08 AM

it doesnt get simpler than a pouch, and there are so many different ones that are great.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ok mamas, thanks for all your suggestions. It's looking like a pouch is the way to go. Now to decide on which one I have to say tho that I have a KKAFP and it's about the only sling that hasn't worked for us. The mamababy sling, is that a maya company sling. I'm thinking 2 slings of stretchy fabric that you wear together. Is that right?
Old 04-23-2004, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by *solsticemama*
Ok mamas, thanks for all your suggestions. It's looking like a pouch is the way to go. Now to decide on which one I have to say tho that I have a KKAFP and it's about the only sling that hasn't worked for us. The mamababy sling, is that a maya company sling. I'm thinking 2 slings of stretchy fabric that you wear together. Is that right?
I loved my KKAFP when DS was a babe. However I did eventually sell it because I moved to a hot climate. Wit my next baby I'm going to get a mom n me mainly because of the slimmer shoulder design and the gorgeous colors. I also heard the hemp isn't as sweaty as fleece which of course wouldn't be a problem with a winter babe.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:59 PM

Yes, the mamaBaby is made by MW. It's stretchy (but not too) and can be worn in pairs, but you can buy just one. I don't find that too many people buy and use them in pairs, but more as a regular ring sling. One cool thing you can do even with one is a vertical hold with the rings at your hip. It's great with newborns who really like to be up at your shoulder.

User Tag List