Help with Dolcino wrap - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I just got a gorgeous, expensive, brand-new Dolcino wrap for my second child. I used a homemade somewhat stretchy wrap for my first child and loved it (and then it was destroyed in a flood). I splurged on the Dolcino because I want to use it as long as possible.

So I've had it for two days and I'm having some difficulty. When doing the FCC, I find that if it's tight enough that my daughter (6 wks) doesn't slump, the wrap is uncomfortable, especially on my waist. And also the length is just crazy! I am having difficulty with that much fabric. I've watched a dozen tutorials and am following all the advice.

I'm tenacious and determined to make this work because I think it'll be worth it. Can anyone offer some advice on what I might not be getting? I really need it to be comfortable.

Thanks, mamas!
#2 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

I don't have anything to share about this particular wrap but wanted to bump your post up for attention. 

Anyone have any info to share? 

#3 of 6 Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 PM

Do you have a local babywearing group? It might be helpful to get some hands in help! Otherwise, practice a lot! Woven wraps have a learning curve for sure. It may take a while to find your groove but once you do it's so worth it! Is your wrap nice and broken in? A floppy wrap is easier to work with than a stiff one. Sit on it, sleep with it, braid it.
#4 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 AM

Are you using the FCC or the FWCC with her?  Both are fine, but before giving advice, I just wanted to clarify which carry you're using b/c they wrap a little differently - if you're doing the FCC, you're starting with the middle of the wrap in the middle of your back and then making an X across your chest; if you're doing the FWCC, you're starting with the middle of the wrap on your chest, and wrapping each side across your back and over your shoulder, hanging down straight on the front, leaving a horizontal pocket and two vertical tails coming straight down on your front.  

Would love to help :)

#5 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! Was beginning to wonder if there was anybody out there. . . 

I was specifically referring to the FWCC. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks and it's getting much better. I think I needed practice and also the wrap may be breaking in a little. So that's pretty good.

Now I'm struggling a little bit with the FCC. I LOVE this hold--it's my absolute favorite. I love that it's poppable, baby likes getting in and out faster, baby likes the position better--she can have her head up more--and it just feels good on my body. I did it will a stretchy wrap with my last baby. But I no longer have that wrap, and I am doing it with the woven wrap. The problem is that I can't seem to get the baby's height just right. If it is tight enough that baby feels really secure, the X on my chest makes her head collide with my chin and the straps dig into my neck. If I get her head at the ideal height for us (head resting just below my clavicle), the wrap is too loose. Didn't have these issues with the stretchy wrap. I actually wrap with the cumberbund in front so that I can pull that over the X, and that helps with support but I'd like it to feel as secure as the FWCC.

Any thoughts? :)

#6 of 6 Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM

For the FCC (your basic X), there are a few things you can try....

First off, with the woven you're not using the cumberbund, right? b/c you really only need that with the stretchy wraps.

So, one thing I LOVE about Dolcinos is that the different colored edges help you know where to tighten.  I like to make an x over my chest, and then come around my waist and tie very loosely in a half knot, making sure to leave enough room in the X to get baby in (and I find that too much room is better than too little room, since I'm going to go back and adjust).  Then, once baby is in, I undo the half knot, hold each tail in each hand and pull and snug up the carry.  Then I use the colored edges to guide me if I need to make a top rail or a bottom rail a little tighter or looser before retying with a secure double knot.  

Another trick some people use is to thread the tails like a holster on your side instead of tying in a half knot.  This way you can go right to adjusting from there.  Here's a video I like that shows that way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNEPdeEsSzE

Okay, one more option... if you don't like having the X up by your neck, you CAN do a variation called a front double hammock with a flipped shoulder.  The double hammock is how the french tend to do a front carry with a newborn, as they tend not to have baby sit with legs through an X the way the germans do... Instead, baby sits in 2 "hammocks" almost like 2 ring slings going each way across baby.  By flipping the shoulder, similar to a kangaroo carry shoulder flip (if you're familiar), you get the fabric away from your neck.  It's a little trickier than the regular FCC and might take some practice, but I love it for the reason that the inner edges don't ride really closely on my neck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRFuAhAeP0   The person demonstrating in the video leaves the edges tucked and never ties in front.  I would suggest always tying in front, so that the wrap is held securely.  

Hope those are helpful! :)

Tags
Babywearing , Dolcino Organic Woven Wrap Baby Carrier

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page