Babywearing while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Xpost from the I'm Pregnant forum - it was recommend I post here and I didn't even know this forum existed!

I love wearing my 21 month old DD on my back when we're out - she just wants out of the stroller to run if she's in the stroller and then she just RUNS. When she's on my back though, she's happy as can be. I currently use an Ergo to carry her, but I'm 15 weeks pregnant now and I don't think I'll want that waist strap around my belly as I continue to grow.

Anyone have any experience babywearing while pregnant? Is it not recommended? Are there any carriers out there that are better suited to the pregnant body?

My DH doesn't mind wearing her but he has a very long torso so when she's on his back she is too low and can't see anything so she doesn't like it as much.

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM

I wore my 26 month old everyday in my ergo front carry while pregnant....  The day before I gave birth to my 2nd...  my toddler and I were at the pumpkin patch and grocery store...  breastfeeding while babywearing.  I only had a four hour labor.  I owe it all to babywearing!!

#3 of 7 Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 PM

I could be wrong, but isn't it better to have the strap below your belly even if you're not pregnant? Mine kind of sits on my hip bones and it's much more comfortable than up around my waist. 

#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with a 2 year old that I've been carrying and wearing in a SSC the entire pregnancy so far.  I put her on my back all the time and the belly strap just gets pushed down below the bump anyway.  I also carry her often on my front when she's sleepy (she falls asleep for naps like this in less than 5 minutes of walking).  I've used the Ergo, Boba, Beco Butterfly, and Action Toddler carriers to carry her on front and back while at the store, on a walk, hiking, snowshoeing, etc.  It's surprisingly still comfortable!  And I thought it would be really hard when I got a big belly (and when I say big belly, I mean BIG belly ;), but it's been great!  I think if your toddler wants to go on your back, you should go for it as long as it's not straining your body to do so because, after all, you're about to have a new baby to hold all the time and your toddler won't be able to get his fill as much as he can now while you're still pregnant :)

Right now: femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif

Soon to be: dh_malesling.GIF femalesling.GIF and familybed2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I've been wearing her on my back now and it hasn't bothered me - I just assumed it would later on but I'm glad to hear that's not necessarily the case. I will definitely try moving the strap further down to see if that makes a different.

#6 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM

Hi! I know you asked this question a week ago but I just wanted to say that I'm 27 weeks pregnant and have been wearing my one year old on my back. There are days when I do feel sore but I think that is mostly just from the pregnancy itself. Also, putting the strap below your belly is a lot more comfortable! smile.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 PM

Xposting my reply:

I am 31.5 weeks and still wear my 3-year-old.  I either use a mei tai with the waist strap tied above the belly, or a woven wrap usually in a ruck tied tibetan, so nothing around the waist.

This was from a couple of weeks ago:

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page