Am I slightly stupid or did anyone else read this forum wrong? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At first I thought this forum was a sick joke.  Why would there be a forum about wearing babies?  

I feel mothering should provide a slightly different description for this forum for the slower folks like myself.

#2 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Well, the forum is about wearing babies. "Wear" means "to carry or have on the body or about the person as a covering, equipment, ornament, or the like." Were you imagining skinning babies and turning them into clothes? Wearing also refers to things like backpacks, tool belts, etc, not just clothes.

#3 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Babywearing is a standardized term used throughout the world, but our society is not heavy into the practice. You're not stupid; you just haven't been exposed to this part of parenting. I knew nothing about babywearing until I got pregnant and started investigating infant and childcare. I think with the major stores carrying the various types of wraps and carriers and the growing community of people who wear their children in carriers or wraps, it will be a more commonplace term and the confusion will disappear.

Aradia88 and Tracy Atwood like this.
#4 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Babywearing is a very common term in the parenting "world." I can see how it might seem weird to someone who is new to the concept, but no babies were harmed in the wearing of my children :)

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 PM

This thread is making me LOL. I NEVER really thought of it in the way the OP has!!
3lilchunklins likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#6 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

The forum description for baby wearing is as follows:

Welcome to Babywearing! Here you can learn about and discuss all aspects of wearing babies and toddlers.

Once I clicked the forum and read the title of several threads I quickly figured out what was going on.  Then I started laughing at myself.

My partner and I own many baby wearing devises, i.e. Ergo, Gemeni, Mobi etc...  I just never thought about it as wearing our baby.  

#7 of 15 Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 PM

I agree, the term is bizarre to me, too. I've always thought of them as "carriers" and the act as "carrying" not "wearing". smile.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#8 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 AM

I think the term "babywearing" is weird, because usually you wear an article of clothing or equipment for the benefit of yourself, not for the benefit of the article of clothing/equipment, whereas babywearing has benefits to the baby. I would go for a different term if there were one. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#9 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I agree, the term is bizarre to me, too. I've always thought of them as "carriers" and the act as "carrying" not "wearing". smile.gif

Same here. I just can't bring myself to use that term when referring to holding my baby using a sling.

#10 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM

the actual term was coined by Dr. Sears and has just become the way most people describe using soft or structured carriers to hold/carry baby.  There are TONS of "babywearing" groups, forums, etc., and the term is just a common phrase used in the community, especially the attachment parenting community. (again, another term coined by Dr. Sears...you're talking about laughing about babywearing...my husband and I had a good laugh when we found out parenting simply by following our instincts had a label and a coined name..i.e. attachment parenting).

#11 of 15 Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 PM

I have never liked the term either.  Yet, one cannot change what is already adapted.  Humans only wear an inanimate object.  We don't dogwear, catwear, petwear.    These inanimate objects are used for a purpose:  Clothing (w/logos or specific brands), glasses, jewelry, backpacks, makeup, masks . . .  Now, more than ever, the world at large is concerned with the image this creates to promote their ego identification, often for self aggrandizement.  Highly inappropriate for how we do unconditionally love our baby.

#12 of 15 Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
l was reading a UK forum and they call it 'slinging' (someone correct me, I may be wrong).
Oh well, either term works for me.
#13 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Yay, Ronart, I'm so relieved that I'm not the only person who experiences hilarious misreadings and mental images like this. I always seem to come up with the wackiest way of envisioning something, so I don't blame you for having the impression that babywearing was some kind of Silence of the Lambs thing! flowersforyou.gif

Naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, writer, avid commuting cyclist and community-theater performer; joyful mother of Kathryn (adopted summer 2011) lady.gifand Luthien (born 11.30.12babyf.gif), and guardian of seven feline ascended masterscat.gif!

weadopted.gifbuddamomimg1.pngbftoddler.giffamilybed1.gif namaste.gifcd.giftrekkie.gif 

#14 of 15 Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 PM

I like the term "slinging" that Asiago brought up.  Gives me a fun cowboy image of whipping out the baby for a duel.  Sounds more American than UK.bouncy.gif

#15 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 AM

I was explaining babywearing to my partner, who is from Central America, and he was like ''You mean carrying your baby? What's so innovative about that?''  I think babywearing only seems innovative in countries where the norm is pushing your kid in a stroller.  People don't really use strollers here, everyone just carries their baby.  Occasionally you see someone with a sling or other device, but it isn't seen as some new concept, it is just a tool to help you carry your baby more easily.

I think I'm going to have trouble using the term ''babywearing,'' honestly.  I know it is what people who practice ''attachment parenting'' often use, but I'm weary of new words having to be invented to describe something that has been done for so long.  I think it just helps make the concept something you can market and sell products around.

Excited, anxious and proud to be pregnant for the first time! My partner and I can't wait to meet the little boy sometime around Sept 20th.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page