making my own sling...a question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i posted this in the Sewing forum, but didn't get much response and i really want to make one!! i'm using this pattern
www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html the problem i'm having is getting the curve cut right...does anyone have any good tips on how to get it cut symetrically and the right "happiness" (read the pattern to know what i mean by that)...thanks for any advice!
#2 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 08:12 PM

I cut the fabric into a large rectangle, then folded in half so I only had to trace 1/2 a smiley on it and then cut, so when it opened both side were even (does that make sense, LOL?)
For the right size smiliey, I can't say really. I marked on the side where I wanted it to end, and begin, and then just drew a curve to connect them. I did a deep curve, so that it goes sort straight down at the side for a bit, then curves in sharpely towards the bottom. This made a nice deep pocket for my little guy to sit in
#3 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! what kind of seam do you use to sew the smiley? the pne in the pattern i posted used a french seam...this seems to make it uneven or something...that or i just don't know how to do it...
#4 of 11 Old 04-24-2004, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For my *smiley* LOL I fold the fabric lengths in half, then I measure up 4 inches from the edge and start the cut there. Then I just from that starting point, in a round *smiley* I geuss, to the fold. I don't know if that makes ANY sense, but that is what I do. I don't do french seams. I like how it looks, but I'm not used to doing it that way. I may switch to it, but it will take me alot longer, at least at first to make slings.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#5 of 11 Old 04-25-2004, 03:22 AM

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#6 of 11 Old 04-25-2004, 04:49 AM

i take the length, fold it in half so the raw ends are together, and then fold that bit in half the opposite way. i start my cut 4inches up on the open/selvedge/hemmed edges, and cut back to the base of the folded edge. i use a rotary cutter. i do use a french seam because i feel it is the strongest one, and it takes a bit pf practice, but i have it perfected now. if you use this seam, just make sure you sew the seam down and take your time. also go over with a few stitches where your seam meets at the edges to add a bit of stability.

have fun!
#7 of 11 Old 04-26-2004, 09:09 AM

I do a flat fell seam and I could probably swing a bowling ball around in it for 24 hours and not have any breakage. I also cut a 2.5 inch 'smile'. Flat fell seam: right sides together (after smile is cut) sew along the smile leaving a 3/4 inch seam allowance. Reinforce each end with a few back-and-forths. Open the whole thing up and flatten it where the seam is. Fold the seam under once and press it back to the pouch. Stitch it down. Done!
#8 of 11 Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 AM

I make a 2-3" smile
#9 of 11 Old 04-26-2004, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! i have till Oct to figure this out...:LOL but when i get something in my head, i want to DO IT NOW...kwim! anyway, thanks for the advice.
#10 of 11 Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 AM

I am glad to see this thread. I was thinking maybe my mother, who is a very good sewer, could make me a fleece pouch.

I was thinking that one way to go about it would be to buy the cheapest peice of fabric I can find and make a test pattern to try on, then we could adjust it. I want a tapered shoulder, but getting the curve just right might be tough.

I just like the idea of picking out the fabric and trim myself. Now that Pea in a Pod is unavailable, I need to think of some backups.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#11 of 11 Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 PM

I fold it in half so the raw ends are together, then again so the selvedges are together. I start 3inches down and eye ball it while I cut it.

I use a modified flat fell seam. With right sides together I sew along the smile, 3/4inch from the edge. I then do a 2nd row 1/2inch from the edge. I trim 1, then fold the long one over and sew it together. Then I fold that over and sew it flat. I then flip it right side out and on the right side I sew along the folded part to hold it down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page