Tips and advice for someone who has never BW before? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like the idea of the wraps but have never tried them so I don't know if I would like ring sling or carriers any better or worse.

My main questions are what style should I buy if I want to BW all the time during the day?

Any tips or tricks for BW and gardening (we are huge gardeners and I'm afraid of the baby falling out or getting hurt when I'm bending over to plant or pick)?

Any other big tips or advice that worked well for you would be SOOO helpful! Thanks so much!

#2 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM

I love my Moby Wrap for sleeping infant, early months and carrying facing forward during walks and shopping!  It can be hot so it is not ideal for summer time.  Also, it is stretchy so it would not be ideal for gardening. 

For gardening I would say you'll want a woven wrap (Moby is too stretchy) so you can do a rucksack carry 

I haven't used any carriers but I have heard complaints from friends about shoulder pain due to straps...I've never had that problem with my wraps.

#3 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi FlintDoula,

I'm thinking a soft structured carrier, such as an ergo or a beco may be helpful when gardening. Bending down means the baby shifts with your weight so something that will prevent the baby's head from rolling to sharply from side to side might be your preference. I always wore a streachy wrap up to 7 months and used one arm to cradle the baby's head when bending and crouching. Are you starting with a newborn?

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#4 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How old is your LO?
I'm thinking if old enough carry on back and then squat as opposed to bend over.

I love my ring sling, not too sure how it would do for back carry tho.
I also enjoy using the mei tai, and that is probably more practical for back carrying

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#5 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Some thoughts...

First, weather is a big factor. When is your LO due and what is the seasonal climate like where you live?  I ask because year round babywearing is one thing in a cool, temperate climate like Northern CA but it is a different thing in climates with more extreme weather (especially heat).  

Over the years I have come to the opinion that woven wraps are kind of like the uber babywearing type carrier. I used one but never got into them the way I see some mamas do but I have always had woven envy!  If I could do it over again, I would try one earlier and see whether the problem had to do with a learning curve of if they truly aren't right for me.  

Then are the ring slings, which is what I used. The one shoulder design was always really comfortable on me. The quick adjustments make for a great carrier for quick ins and outs. It's the easiest of all carriers to nurse in (IMO) and like the wrap is versatile, easy to bring around and etc. 

For a short while I had an Ergo that I liked. It made the baby feel weightless. That one was stolen and the other I was handed down was not nearly as comfortable. Weird. Either way, I didn't love even the better one other than the weightlessness because it was hard for me to nurse and sit in. BUT, it was the easiest, most comfortable back-carry I managed (never quite got the hang of the back carry for the wrap and the sling back carry is pretty sub-par, imo). 

The other thing about carriers is that you really have to factor your lifestyle. If you're outdoors for long periods, a carrier that takes longer to tie is a fine trade-off for comfort. But, if you're in and out of cars, for instance, you'll want something that you can pop the kid in and out of with ease. 

Since you're pregnant, you could just accumulate carriers now. If you look around second-hand and put it out there for hand-me-downs you may end up like me with like 10 carriers for free!  The ones that seem to be expensive even when second-hand are the wovens. Perhaps splurge on one of those and hope the others get passed down. 

Other thoughts. Old Mayas are pretty affordable on ebay. You can open it up and do the new shoulder pretty easily. Lots of mamas make wraps. I made a gauze one. I didn't love it (it seemed too thin and dug into baby a bit, I worried). But, there are tutorials all over that you can follow. 

Good luck!  

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 10 Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM

I have a ring wrap, an evenflo one, and another one, I forget the name of it.  They all mostly make my back hurt.  The sling one makes my shoulder hurt.  :(  My baby seems to love all 3 of them.  Does anyone have any suggestions for making them not hurt?  I'd like to continue doing this, but I'm hurting so much!  

#7 of 10 Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Wear them tight.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#8 of 10 Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have ones with waist straps, make sure they are taking some of the weight off your shoulders. Cinch it well.
#9 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 AM

Bump
#10 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Some thoughts about gardening with a little one.....

I do garden work both for a living and for our own veggies, and when my son was born this spring, I needed to continue my work.  When he was very small (up until five or six weeks?) I was able to tuck him very snugly into the Moby, including his head, and get on my hands and knees to weed, and he just sort of swung a bit, like a hammock.  He's now three months old, and I find that it is just easier to squat/kneel/sit with him loose, NOT in a carrier.  I just support him with one hand/arm/hip/leg, whatever, while I weed with the other hand.  He likes to put his feet in the dirt, and touch the weeds. 

If I'm mulching or moving materials or hoeing, ie standing up and/or walking, I prefer him on my back. So far I've used four different carriers on my back...the Ergo, a woven wrap (Ellaroo), a Babyhawk, and my MayaWrap.

Now, this is my fifth baby, so I'm pretty bold about putting him on my back young.  I think technically he's not really supposed to be in the back carry yet for the Ergo or the sling, but both the woven wrap and the Babyhawk are fine for that young.  I have mixed feelings about the wrap.  He is a very squirmy baby and not always happy to be confined to a carrier, and he tends to straighten his legs out while I'm trying to wrap him. We are also ECing, and to get him out of the wrap quickly and back in is a bit of a hassle.  I tend to use the wrap when I sense that he's ready to sleep for a while!   So although I love the wrap, I like having the Babyhawk Mei Tei.  I highly recommend this carrier--my son stays nice and snug and it isn't bulky or hot at all.  Today he napped for several hours in 95 degree heat and I didn't feel that horribly sweaty!   Good luck finding what works for you! :)

FlintDoula likes this.

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page