I got an Ergo-do i get the infant insert or a wrap for early months? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So happy i am getting a passed down Ergo, hope it's not all baggy from being used for 2children, are they better when older or more likeold worn diapers? I just want to know what to expect. Assuming all is good,i need to get the insert. I am due very soon, summertime, butwill be inside air conditioning for the majority of my time. Does that solve the issue of the insert being too warm ? Is it less skin to skin like than a wrap? A wrap sounds warm too. I willk either get ergo insert or boba wrap...Any tips? This feels like a shot in the dark. Can either be ok?
#2 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 AM

It really is based on your preferences. Personally, I preferred a ring sling during the early months and short outings and my Ergo for when I'll be doing a long period of time of baby-wearing. The infant insert is generally recommended for very young infants though I haven't used it neither the wrap. Hopefully someone with more experience will see this and have some advice for you. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM

I've heard of people swaddling their newborn and putting them in the Ergo, in lieu of the insert.  I never tried it though.  I love the Ergo for my older baby but preferred the Boba wrap for when he was itty bitty.  

#4 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 04:17 PM

I have a 1 month old, and bought the Ergo and the infant insert, but haven't used either yet. We pulled out the insert one day, and my hubby strapped it all on. It seemed okay....meaning not great but not awful....couldn't decide how I felt about it. I was more worried about him having enough neck support even with the insert....nothing seemed too solid around the neck. Was also worried about his chin tilting down, because there is a warning about that in the instructions that scared me. It seemed like it was hard to see him down in there.

I really want to use them, but as a new mom, it's intimidating. Not sure what to do. I want to use it for trips to the beach here, to get close to the water. Also, to stroll around the backyard.

I am worried about the heat too, but there are other ways of getting hot, as you mentoined.......like all carriers would have that risk, i'd think. Don't have answers, hopefully someone will make this more clear.

#5 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM

I love the ergo for the older babies starting 4-5 months. I have the infant insert but don't like it for the reasons stated before (way too hot for a summer baby and difficult to see how the baby is doing in there).

I used an old snugli for the first month and am now using the baby bjorn for the hot summer months. A sling is also a good option for those first months.

twockenfuss likes this.
#6 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We'll be doing wrapping for the the first little while (you can get pretty reasonably priced stretchy wraps from babies r us and sears), and then probably on to something like an ergo

#7 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM

When DS was little, we used both the Ergo w/ infant insert and a ring sling.  I got the ring sling because it was more breathable cotton, and worked really, really well for summer months (DS was born in April - sometimes in the summer heat he'd be in it in only a diaper).  

DH liked using the Ergo & insert better than the sling, though - so he'd still put DS in it, late spring through summer, if it wasn't too warm outside or if we were in air conditioning.  

If you are looking to add a second carrier, I'd recommend looking into a ring sling as an option - ours was purchased locally and made by Rockin' Baby.  They are a bit pricey ($80) but very well made (if you can find one second-hand it'd still be great).  Even has lil pockets which are great for phones, pacifiers, whatever.  DS lived in his for at least a year, washed often, still looks brand new!  Also, they donate a sling to mothers in need, for each one purchased.

I've heard that some of the sturdier wraps last a long time, but the stretchy ones (like Moby) are really only good for tiny babes.  Ring slings can be used for a looong time - even with toddlers on the hip.  So, just another idea.  Hope that helps!

twockenfuss likes this.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#8 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 10:25 PM

I prefer ergo for older babies. Wrap for little ones ESP newborns.
#9 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM

I agree with most posters that the ring sling or other pouch styles are typically nicer for infants, but I loved my ergo infant insert for longer use (ie. grocery shopping). You just can't beat the ergo's comfort over any other wrap I've tried. The only real complaint I had with the insert was the heat that was generated by the thick insert, along with my body heat, and the infant's body heat was a bit much. Her face would get red and sweaty after sleeping for over an hour.. It was winter here, but a mild one. If you are planning on being in AC, you might be fine, but I think you'll notice it. I'd definitely dress them lightly if you go with the insert regardless of season. I had a friend who birthed a larger (10 lb) baby and had larger breasts herself, she was fine using the ergo without the insert from day one.. just something to consider depending on body types. Lastly, I have both a brand new and a many years old (found at thrift shop for $5!) ergo. They are exactly the same in all respects except my newer one is a bit more faded. They hold up incredibly well.. but I also recommend you hang them dry (as tag indicates). Many cloth diaper stores sell several styles of wraps too. You might be able to go in and try out the ones you are considering..

#10 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM

I used a moby wrap for my bebe when he was tiny, but a blanket folded is the perfect insert for the ergobaby, don't spend money on the insert.

#11 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeter888 View Post

I used a moby wrap for my bebe when he was tiny, but a blanket folded is the perfect insert for the ergobaby, don't spend money on the insert.

Is it simple to do? I have lots of little blankets. But i am going with the Boba wrap, it sounds user friendly. Is it really too warm to have baby so clise even in a/c, or its managable? Some here were saying moby is good but boba is supposedly easier?
#12 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rktrump View Post

I've heard of people swaddling their newborn and putting them in the Ergo, in lieu of the insert.  I never tried it though.  I love the Ergo for my older baby but preferred the Boba wrap for when he was itty bitty.  

So excited you like boba, hope i do too. Do u think its hot in a/c? It keeps baby upright a bit right? Easy to use for you? Any tips?
#13 of 15 Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM

I like the kangaroo hold in the Boba, but had to google Moby's instruction manual to figure out how to do it right.  If you're in a/c, I think you'll be totally fine.

#14 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM

Update: my baby jst turned 3 months, she is not big (less than 12 pounds) but has a strong neck. I just tried the ergo without the insert and it's fine. The ergo manual says 4-5 but i think 3 months or maybe a bit before is fine if you have a good neck control.
Very happy to come back to the ergo, the bjorn is only good for the first weeks
#15 of 15 Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 PM

Have you tried using a ring sling or even a scarf carry like the ones shown here http://wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=86 they use the coton/pashmina scarves you may have in your closet/the polyester ones get too hot, the baby is right up against you so you should be able to tell if they are getting too hot easier.

Tags
Boba Wrap , Ergo Baby Carrier , Boba Wrap Organic Baby Carrier , Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page