Please give me your opinion on these two wraps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past I have used a ring sling (which I liked) and mei tai (which I loved). This time, I'm getting excited about trying out a wrap. I searched Etsy because I like to give money to mom-based businesses, and found these two wraps.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74245371/baby-wrap-carrier-water-mesh-shimmery?ref=shop_home_active
This is the first one I liked. It's a mesh wrap for use in the pool or shower. I mainly like the idea of using it in the shower. I contacted the seller, and she said she used one to shower with her youngest all the time. This is what gave me the idea of trying out a wrap in the first place, because I was looking for an alternative to baby bathtubs. I figured I could also use it out of the water, but then I read that non-stretchy wraps are better, and this one is stretchy.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79218686/maternity-baby-wrap-carrier-woven-cotton?ref=shop_home_active
This is her non-stretchy wrap made for regular use. What do you think? If I got the water one for showering, should I try using it for every day, too, or should I go ahead and get the regular one at the same time?

What do you think of the materials, the descriptions, the cost, etc.? I have a pretty good-sized budget, so I'm willing to pay more if necessary for quality, but these *look* good quality to me. Honestly, I'm pretty excited about the idea, but I'm one of those people who wants to hear everybody else's opinion before I make up my mind. :P

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 AM

When baby was, well, a baby, I really wanted to try a mesh shower wrap! Now I really treasure my 30 minutes of mama only time. :P I think a mesh wrap would be great in summer, too. 

They seem to be well reviewed and made by baby-wearers - and after using a Moby I'm curious to try one of those non-stretchy wraps! The prices aren't "competitive" but I think they're fair for something quality. Whenever I get baby item sticker shock I break down how many times I'll be using the item. 

#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

How much is the Moby? I had read that some wraps can cost as much as $100, so I wasn't sure if I should be worried that a $40 wrap would be "cheap."

I agree that I love my shower time! But I'm lucky to have lots of help, so I could wash the baby, hand him off to Daddy or a sibling, and then have my own shower. The main thing I want to avoid is killing my back bending over a baby bathtub, or dropping a slippery baby in the shower.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM

A basic moby is $48, their non stretch one is $125. 

Yeah, baby tub time was a workout until she was sturdy on her own, and I only braved the slippery baby shower a couple of desperate times.

#5 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 PM

Good for you!  It is the most valuable baby item anyone can buy.  I went through 9 slings before finding one that worked for ALL activities.  It was mandatory because we committed to carrying him until he could creep and crawl.

Folks on a low budget can make a sling with 2 yards of fabric (use a 2nd hand sheet)  tied on opposite corners. Place over one shoulder so baby rides on the opposite hip.  My girlfriend reared her 3 continuum babies by making her own, even though money was no issue (she was a medical doctor).  She preferred her homemade slings over store bought, though this was 20 years ago and there was less selection.

#6 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM

oh, yay! Babyette! I have both a water/mesh ring sling and a baby basics cotton ring sling from her. I've used the water sling primarily for vacations with my two, so they haven't seen as much regular use as you are describing, but it's quality sewing and fabric so I'm sure it would hold up. I don't have a gauze wrap ( of any sort), but what I hear/ read is that they start to get "diggy" (ie, they fabric digs into your shoulders) once baby gets bigger. a Moby does the same after a certain weight ( most folks say about 15-16 pounds, but I used mine till my baby was about 20 and it was fine, though I wasn't wearing him all day in that). you can use a gauze wrap for multilayer back carries, and you cannot use a Moby (or any other stretchy wrap) for those because baby can possibly stretch the fabric enough to fall out.

anyway, I think she does good work and certainly recommend her stuff. you might want to weigh the merits of the water wrap versus a sling.. same material, but a sling is easier to get on and get baby into, which might work better for a bathing situation than a wrap. I find the sling works better when it's wet than dry, which may not be true of the wrap (because there are no rings to contend with).

but, if you have $ to spend, you might explore woven wraps for non-water use alongside the water wrap.I don't have any of those (yet!), due to my own budget restrictions, but everything I read & hear is that they are a good value for your money for the long run, bc you can use them for infants thru toddlers, there are a ton of different " carries" ( front and back) that you can use, and a well-maintained wrap holds its value over time, so you can resell it when you're done, if you like. I don't have any recommendations on a brand, since I don't have any of my own. there are babywearing info/ support groups on fb that have much more experienced wrap users than myself, or there is thebabywearer.com with lots of that info too.

Babyette is good with responding to email questions, etc., so I'm sure she could help with your questions too. but she's a legit, quality person to work with, in my experience. good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad to hear from someone who has actually bought a BabyEtte sling and loved it. smile.gif

I had been kind of going back and forth on whether to get the wrap or the sling for the shower. As you said, the sling would be much easier to get baby in and out, especially if we're going to use it for short periods on a regular basis. But when I spoke to BabyEtte (I don't know her real name, LOL), she recommended the wrap as being more secure in the water. So I was going to go with that, until you brought it up again. :P Then I realized -- I never asked my husband if he wanted to use the water carrier, too! Since he does, and since he's certain he prefers a ring sling, we're going to go with that.

I didn't realize there was a difference between a woven wrap and the gauze wrap. I did some looking into it today, especially reading http://wrapyourbaby.com, to see if I wanted to get a woven wrap. They do look nice, but I live in in a very hot part of the country, and I think I really need the lighter breathability of the gauze. But, thanks to you getting me searching for this info, I found some great informative posts about using a wrap in the heat, including how to use a gauze wrap comfortably! So thank you! joy.gif

If anybody else is interested:
http://wrapyourbaby.com/blog/tag/wrapping-in-hot-weather/

Tags
Moby D Wrap , Babywearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page