Best type of carrier to grow with baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm very new to babywearing and I need advice from some Mama's who know. We can only afford to get one carrier, what is the best type to work for NB into toddlerhood? I was thinking a wrap, Moby is the one I know best. But will that support a toddler? Would a ring sling be better? And what brands would you suggest?
#2 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM

I'm not so much a pro as man ohters here (I've only used a Moby, ring sling and a Boba) but I would recommend the Boba with infant insert. The Moby was GREAT. I loved it, really, but it has a bit of a learning curve and then by the time I had it down it was really hard to wear my daughter for long (by 18 lbs I was like "erg, there has to be a better way...").  It is approved for a higher weight than what I used it for, it just got too hard. The Boba has been fantastic, is way easier to get on and off (and her into and out of), we both love it, but I never used the infant bit so I can't "review" that. 

If you think you'll be able to buy a second one after the first year then I think a Moby will get you through, though, and has a lower price point. 

Good luck!!! :)

#3 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Moby was great for the first 3 or 4 mos and til about 18lbs and then it just wasn't practical.  Too much adjusting to get them in an out, esp as they get older and want to move more, and the stretchy fabric gets loose while you wear it.  DD was also never a fan of her head being tucked into the fabric like they recommend (hated hats too) and since she had unusually good head control from birth, I didn't tuck her in fully unless she fell asleep so I looked a bit awkward with all this fabric doing nothing.  I got my ring sling (sakura) when DD was about 5 mos and I absolutely love it - wish I'd just spent the money from the beginning and not asked for a bjorn on my registry (hated that thing).  I actually have 2 now, a double and single linen, and love them both equally.  DD is 20mos, 30+ lbs now (haven't weighed her in a while but I'd guess she's between 30-35lbs) and I can still carry her in it no problem - hip, back, tummy if tired, she's never fussed and I love that I can easily nurse her in it. Super easy in/out, plus when we are with friends or family at events they can use the sling as well.

#4 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

babyhawk mei tei!!!! I LOVED mine. I can't rememeber when I started wearing ds in it- I mean not at newborn, I think when he was tiny I just held him. but at least by six months he was in the mei tei up until about 2 and a 1/2  and I found it so mich more comfy than the ergo- even though it seems a bit complicated to tie on it really isn't- once you do it a couple of times, and the baby is snug up against you- facing you so you can see their face- I loved my baby hawk mei tei

#5 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
A Moby won't last until toddlerhood. As PPs have said, they're really only supportive enough for the first few months. If you want a wrap, a woven will take you from birth to whenever you choose to stop. The type of wrap depends on personal preference, climate, budget etc.

If you want an SSC I have used my Beco Gemini from birth to 3 years so far and found it excellent. I have used several different carriers and it is by far my favourite. I hardly wear my 3yo anymore as she wants to walk all the time but occasionally she wants a ride and it works well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 11 Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 PM

If you want it to last until toddlerhood i'd seggust a woven wrap if you want to get just one and have the money for it the didymos is supposed to be fairly good as I seem to be broke and have a sewing machine that will do a rolled hem well you can find nice cotton weave fabric everywhere from walmart to Hobby lobby or a specialty fabric store it shouldn't stretch should be slightly see through and should be fairly sturdy... and then i can get two wraps as i only want them half as wide as the bolt is for about 30-35 dollars and i can cut them to different lengths to make myself a size 6/7 and a size 3 with enough for a pouch sling.... but i digress.

#7 of 11 Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies! I'm gonna try a Maya ring sling I guess. Mostly because my SIL gifted one to me that she couldn't get to work right for her. ;-)
#8 of 11 Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM

I definitely don't recommend a sling that puts all the weight on only one shoulder.  I have to have the weight evenly distributed, with big heavy babies like I have.

I would think that the Tula baby carrier is the soft structured carrier you would be most happy with, it looks so comfy but I have only tried the Ergo, which i loved, but all the negatives were addressed with the Tula and it seems perfect, used with an insert for an infant.  I'm planning to use it with the new baby.  Moby wraps are great in the beginning and you can get them very cheap second hand, and if it had to be ONE thing, I would say a woven wrap like a Didymos, because you get the support, almost as much as a soft structured carrier, but it can be easily used for a small baby.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Ring slings are great for newborns if you don't mind the one shouldered thing. Soft structured carriers and Mei Tais really aren't recommend for newborns. They are fine once the baby has good head control. If you are looking for a carrier that is the most ergonomically correct for wearer and baby AND will be the only carrier you ever need (want is a different thing!), then go for a woven wrap. It's a bit of a Learning curve but offers a lot of possibilities. Check out Babywearing Faith on YouTube for excellent tutorials on wrapping your babe. Good luck!
#10 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Oh. Woven wrap retailers:
Paxbaby
Marsupial mamas
Granola babies

They are all online vendors. Wraps can be overwhelming with different sizes and fabric content. Just find one that you like- if you want it to be super versatile get a longer length not shorter. I'm looking for a link to a page that helps mamas size wraps
#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Tags
Babywearing , Boba Carrier 3g , Boba Classic Baby Carrier , Didymos Baby Carrier Organic Wrap Sling , Boba Air Baby Carrier 3g , Babyhawk Mei Tai Organic Baby Carrier , Beco Baby Carrier Gemini

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page