Babywearing with a diaper bag? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with baby #2, and DS will be 28 months when the baby is born, and I'm fully expecting to have to bring a diaper bag with me when we go on outings. I'm planning on getting a ring sling for my newby and wearing him/her while using a stroller for my toddler. We have a big Peg Perego stroller, but I prefer to use a small umbrella stroller because it takes up less space in our trunk if I'm shopping.

I used an Ergo for the first year with DS (though I used a Moby for the newborn months), and discovered that having a diaper bag was very cumbersome with a carrier. I used a standard diaper bag most of the first year and then switched to a backpack.

Anyone have any tips on wearing a diaper bag and a newnorn baby at the same time? What are your preferred diaper bags that go well with babywearing?

Mom to Henry, born 10/2011 and The Newbie, due 2/2014!
#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM

If you have a stroller, I would suggest using binder clips on the handles of the stroller (to keep the bag from sliding down) and just put the diaper bag on the stroller. (either backpack or a messenger style)

Otherwise, I either use a backpack with a front carry or an over-the-shoulder bag with a back carry.

#3 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Even when DD was a newborn I hated toting around a diaper bag and mostly left it in the car for shopping and small excursions.  All I brought with me was the folding changing table pad that had pockets for diapers/wipes (we did disposables for a month or two before she fit into the cloth I had picked u)p.  Once we were into the cloth full time I just carried the wet bag on me which had a pouch on the front for dry/clean diapers and wipes and off we'd go.  I should mention that both had handles with a snap closure that allowed me to loop them onto the ring sling, and in a pinch I've just tucked things behind or under her in the sling.

#4 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 PM

It can be tricky to deal with two children (one of whom may need water or snacks or a change of clothes) with no bag at all. Awesome if you can do it, but not always possible. Especially if you don't have a car nearby.

#5 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM

I keep a diaper bag in the car and if I need to bring stuff with me I use a back pack. I just took thw T into the city using the stroller ring sling and backpack with my 33 month old and 9 week old and it was very doable.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#6 of 7 Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM

I have a two year old and baby number two on the way in Dec. My plan is a light weight umbrella stroller for my toddler, with a bag on the back for snacks, diapers, etc. (hanging on the back or in the basket...) And the babe in a carrier.

I'm also thinking of switching from my soft structured carrier to a wrap conversion mei tai with wider, less bulky straps to make it easier to use a shoulder bag if I need to.
#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

You can tuck the strap of a bag sort of up and under the shoulder of a ring sling and everything is held in place. Or, of course, use the stroller to hold all your stuff. 

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page