Easy-to-put-on newborn carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We loved our moby when our son was tiny, but it felt like it took a long time to wrap it and unwrap it. Since we'll have a toddler in addition to a newborn this time, we're wondering if we need to be looking for a carrier that is quicker to put on and take off. The k'tan is appealing since it seems to hold the baby in a similar close and cuddly way as the moby, but it seems a bit silly to have both. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 14 Old 08-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think most of the time, the moby would still work well.  I have a almost 3 year old, a 5 year old and a 6 month old.  I LOVED the moby this time.  He would nurse and then I would put him on and just wear him for hours till he had to nurse again.  It was a very safe place for him to be with the others running around and needing help with everything.  for quick quick things, the ring sling was my favorite.  I always felt I needed to stabilize his head still with one arm though, so I only had 1 hand to help the others.  

Good luck and congrats!!!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 14 Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 PM

With our newbie (we have a 3 y/o) we've been using either the kinderpack (infant/standard size) or our babyhawk.  We have a moby that we loved with the 3 y/o but have found we really haven't liked using it with the newbie--feels like it takes too long to get on and the 3 y/o doesn't make it any easier.  All in all, I use the kinderpack more often because of the hood (keeps the riff raff out...it covers enough that "nice" folk who want to touch/look at the baby can't)--it fits from birth if you get the infant size.  The hood is also great b/c we are outside w/ big boy so much that sun protection is pretty essential...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#4 of 14 Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I loved, and still do love my ring sling.I got mine from snuggy baby, best 50 bucks I ever spent

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#5 of 14 Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I used my Beco Gemini from the beginning with DD2. Very easy on and off.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! These are great suggestions. We have a boba 3G that we use a lot with our toddler, and we also have a beco butterfly, so it is good to remember that we could use those with an infant too. I think I prefer the close cuddliness of a moby for the newborn stage, but we'll have to see what is actually practical with a toddler around. And I'll look into getting a ring sling. Thanks for these useful ideas!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#7 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 AM

Not that you really want to wear the moby 24 hours a day, but it is nice to be able to pretie and leave it on so you can just pop the little one in and out when you need to. 

#8 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM

K'Tan and Moby were my favorite and make organic ones.  Please remember for the first 6 months or so, you tuck their legs in froggy style...do NOT let them hang out.  It's awful for their bone growth and circulatory system formation, and it's unsafe in general.

And I always recommend a babywearing workshop with a certified babywearing expert.  It's usually inexpensive, and well worth it (at any price).

Be well. 

#9 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteGoddess View Post

Please remember for the first 6 months or so, you tuck their legs in froggy style...do NOT let them hang out.  It's awful for their bone growth and circulatory system formation, and it's unsafe in general.

I don't really think that's true. As long as they are supported to the knees and knees are higher than hips I think it's fine for their legs to be out.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM

I thought the same thing but our pediatrician wanted us to keep our DS froggy until six months too. Not sure who the authority would be on this one. Maybe a pediatric chiropractor?
#11 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Elitegoddess: can you give more info about who is teaching that it is unsafe to have baby's legs out and specifics of why? I have never heard that before but I have heard it recommended that baby's legs be out and from personal experience I agree, as long as baby is properly positioned with knee to knee coverage and knees higher than the bum.
#12 of 14 Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by katinanna View Post

Elitegoddess: can you give more info about who is teaching that it is unsafe to have baby's legs out and specifics of why? I have never heard that before but I have heard it recommended that baby's legs be out and from personal experience I agree, as long as baby is properly positioned with knee to knee coverage and knees higher than the bum.

I believe the thinking is that the pressure on a newborns tailbone is a concern. I found froggy style to feel more secure in a Mai tei and it does give many of the same hip positioning benefits (and I had three dysplasia surgeries as a toddler so I take hip positioning very seriously). However I'm sure legs out isn't the absolutely end of the world, at least in carriers that accommodate it.

And to OP, I've found my ergo and cheapo mai tei to be a godsend with baby #2.
#13 of 14 Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I don't really think that's true. As long as they are supported to the knees and knees are higher than hips I think it's fine for their legs to be out.

Once the baby's legs rest at a 90-degree angle, it's fine.  But if the legs are just hanging down, it's bad.

#14 of 14 Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelly2011 View Post

I
I believe the thinking is that the pressure on a newborns tailbone is a concern. I found froggy style to feel more secure in a Mai tei and it does give many of the same hip positioning benefits (and I had three dysplasia surgeries as a toddler so I take hip positioning very seriously). However I'm sure legs out isn't the absolutely end of the world, at least in carriers that accommodate it.

And to OP, I've found my ergo and cheapo mai tei to be a godsend with baby #2.

Happy to help!  (Esp since I see too many newborns out there with their dangling, unsupported legs!)  There are a lot of links to support it, but here is one.  This helps explain why... 

http://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/

Additionally, from another forum:  "Dangling legs is not recommended because it encourages hip dysplasia, hollow back and the weight tends to be on the pelvis rather than the bottom. The best position for carrying babiesicon1.png is with spread legs and knees higher than hips (in an M shape), which aids correct hip positioning and supports the rounded back. Ossification (cartilage becoming bone) of the pelvis and hip is usually finished by about 9 months, so proper support with legs spread and knees higher than hips is important until then.  Support for the rounded spine is needed until 6-9 months when awake and up until 1 year when asleep as the muscles relax."

Personally, my son was huge pretty quickly, so his legs startled falling at a 90-degree angle instead of dangling at just 5 months.  But, since he was still comfy in froggy, I kept him in that.  Once it started to change and feel bulkier to me, I switched him to legs out and our timing happened to be great for that.

Hope this helps! 

Be well. 

Tags
Babywearing , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page