How many slings/carriers do you own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have owned three in my life. The first was an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, which I used for baby #1. Then with #2 I had a Mobi wrap, and then a ring sling made by a local WAHM.

How many do you have or have you had over your parenting journey?
#2 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have had as many as 30 at a time.  I don't have that number anymore.  I also don't have little kids who are worn for extended periods any more.  I have one toddler who likes quick ups occasionally. They can be like purses or shoes- utilitarian and fun all at once.  However, it is also one of those AP parenting things that can make us feel like we always need the next carrier that comes out.  People are spending thousands of dollars on a single wrap, and while it's a wonderful extravagance, there are many less expensive carriers that will work well for people. 

#3 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Too many that I don't use!  I've got 2 ring slings - a double and single linen that are my go-to's.  I used a moby when she was an infant but with rapid weight gain I scratched that when she was about 3-4mos bc it was no longer keeping her secure.  Had a bjorn when I didn't know better - hated it.  A friend gave us some sort of satchel looking sling that was a bit awkward to use so that got packed away after a week or so.  I've got a (chicco maybe?) backpack style that I do like for long back carries as it does distribute weight well, but it's bulker than the sling so less practical when out and about so it's limited to hiking.  Plus the straps are ridiculously long, and I'm small, so it's got more to it than I really need especially once I wind up all the straps to keep them from dragging or getting caught on stuff...it was within my budget after splurging on the ring slings so I make due.

#4 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM

I've got six and I don't need another one but I want another one!!!
sassyfirechick likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3- moby, Bjorn and ergo. We are exclusive ergo users as of 6 mos. my baby is small. Had she been bigger, I would have started the ergo earlier. I know pp, knock the Bjorn bc baby is hanging by the crotch, but that sucker saved my life from 2-6 mos. I love it. It's a back killer though, at least my style was.
#6 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 05:24 AM

3 one for hiking- it has all the bells and whistles. One for when we go to dinner- it's sleek and black and one for city dwelling- we live in Noda Charlotte so I can let my hippie flag fly.
dalia likes this.
#7 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM

I've got an Eddie Bauer crotch dangler (gifted), Moby, a Hotsling, Ergo, and a Mei Tai Baby. Trying to sell the first 3 to fund either a nice ring sling or woven wrap. I'm totally torn on which direction to go, though. I love the poppability and ease-of-breastfeeding with a ringsling, but my 2 mo old is already 15lbs. Wovens are beautiful and intriguing, but also very intimidating. I'm trying to find a babywearing meetup, class, or playdate in my area to try some stuff on!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#8 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaOearth View Post

3 one for hiking- it has all the bells and whistles. One for when we go to dinner- it's sleek and black and one for city dwelling- we live in Noda Charlotte so I can let my hippie flag fly.

LOL I live in the Northwest and I love letting my freak flags fly!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#9 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

LOL I live in the Northwest and I love letting my freak flags fly!!!
Life is too short to be ordinary.
dalia likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 PM

Four, three I still use. Bjorn was my first, since retired. Then used ergo for 2 years straight with DD and loved it. Got a boba toddler hip carrier when DD started getting a little too heavy, it was alright, just didn't suit the combo of our body types very well. DS was born 4 months ago and we started right off in the same ergo (on year 3 of being a workhorse) with the infant insert. Just bought a really fantastic mamankangourou Mai tei, which I'm a little obsessed with, and has been my go-to since I got it.
#11 of 11 Old 09-01-2013, 09:25 AM

I have had six over the years, with one of those getting replaced (so I guess that makes seven), but two of those only got used with my first baby.

I had a SSC with my first, that I liked but didn't love. (I think it was an Ergo, but this was more than 10 years ago and I wasn't "into" babywearing at the time; it was a gift.) I also had an Evenflo hiking backpack-style carrier that I used a ton when my first baby was about a toddler (between 1 and 2), because it had a stand that let you set baby down while still in the carrier. We used to walk up to the Wendy's on the corner, and I would just set him on the floor next to my chair in his carrier, and that was what I'd do when I was going crazy and needed to get out of the house. A few years ago my mom gave me another one just like it, but I don't ever use it, and the stand part got broken from getting moved around in the closet.

With my next baby, I got a simple, unpadded cotton ring sling that was made by some mom on a message board. (Again, this was many years ago.) I love that ring sling, used it for all the rest of my kids. It's DH's favorite carrier. I gave it away when my BFF had her baby, but we're getting it back now that we're having another.

Next I got a mei tai from Etsy. No particular brand, just something mom-made. I also LOVE this, and finally learned to carry my babies on my back with it.

For this baby I have bought a water ring sling, which I have tried out with my 5yo and it's pretty awesome. And I just bought a beautiful pink and yellow gauze wrap that is supposed to be good for the hot climate where I live. Both of these came from BabyEtte on Etsy.

Over the years, I have probably spent less than $200 on carriers (not counting the SSC and backpacks, since those were gifts), and bought all from moms making the carriers out of their homes, but I have loved every single one that I bought.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page