Mothering Forum banner

back carry ergo

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  inconditus 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm curious when you started back carrying with your ergo? My daughter is 3 months and has very good head support. I'm really not that concerned about it. She's about 24inches, maybe 25 long. Not sure. She wears 6 month clothing though lol. It would make my life easier to back carry with her but it makes me a bit nervous not being able to see her behind me. Sometimes she's really high above the back and sometimes she seems to be completely covered inside the carrier.

#3 ·
From what I've learned, back carries in most carriers are generally safe after baby can sit unassisted. This applies to soft structured carriers like the ergo, beco, etc and mei tais like baby hawk. The exception is with woven wraps. The idea is that with a wrap you can get a small baby high enough on your back to feel their breath on your neck and they are enclosed without being able to slip through the body of the carrier. Her being covered inside the carrier and lower down on your back just doesn't sound optimal to me. I'd either try wrapping her or wait until she's older.
We love our ergo sport btw. DH uses his daily - it's his way to get baby to sleep
smile.gif

#4 ·
i heard someone say before that you can do a highback carry with an ergo. Regardless, we tried it and it stunk.I just ordered a meddie and a shortie wrap though and I'm soooo excited! Before I had a size 8 and couldn't do anything with it bc it was too long...It would get all tangled and take forever.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

You can try fastening the waist clip over your chest but a wrap will be a nicer carry hands down. And yay fluff mail :)
Indeed! I'm hoping I can just throw her in a quick ruck or Rebozo with my shortie.... atm DD only likes the ergo FF and I did manage to get her in a BWCC with the super long wrap with DH's help once. But blah. I'd like to be able to wear her unassisted for longer than 15 minutes-her current max in a wrap before freakout. I'm hoping being able to do a backcarry will do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.