TSA and babywearing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Warning: refusing to unsling a sleeping baby in a ring sling that sets off the metal detector will result in an extended pat down.

Next time? Mei tai.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What a drag. Sorry you had to deal with that.
Even when I've had sleeping babies is wraps that don't set off the alarms, I've always, always, always been instructed to remove the baby.
The one time I put up a bit of a stink, I was pulled into a side room where I was ordered to remove the baby, and then was subjected to a lengthy 'inspection' that made us miss our flight.
Now, I always have baby out (even if it's last minute).
If you have your baby in a front carry with a SSC with no 'pocket' for baby (like an Ergo, Kinderpack) then you can just undo the carrier and hold your sleeping baby against you. This has been acceptable so far.
Again, what a drag!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I've heard some stories about people using babies as camouflage for their illegal activities.  While I would be equally annoyed about disturbing a sleeping baby, I kind of see why security might be suspicious.

Monica S likes this.
#4 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It depends on the airport/agent.  I travel extensively for work and bring my family.  I've worn my babies in ring slings, mobys, and ergos and security has ranged from no additional screening to thorough pat downs.  Baby or no, more thorough screening is the norm if the metal detector is triggered.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#5 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM

I believe the TSA's current policy is leaving baby in a carrier is a-okay, but of course if you set off the metal detector, a pat down is coming your way.

I love the Ergo for this.  We still took a stroller and used it to carry all our stuff while I 'wore' the little guy.

sassyfirechick likes this.
#6 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rktrump View Post

I believe the TSA's current policy is leaving baby in a carrier is a-okay, but of course if you set off the metal detector, a pat down is coming your way.

Just went to SC and this was the case.  They were super nice, even moved me to my own line bc I had my 2yo and they helped get everything on the belt and in the bins.  The guy offered to let me wear her but did say that if it beeped they'd have to recheck us so I gladly took off the ring sling.  Somehow on the return flight we ended up being "pre-checked" and didn't have to remove shoes or take out liquids!  In 30 years that was the first time in my life I was not "randomly" selected to have my bags searched - makes me want to fly again soon haha!  I totally went in there ready for a fight too, but it was smooth sailing for us.

#7 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Btw, I totally think extra screening is the right thing to do when you set of the metal detectors. But it took a long time, and so anyone traveling soon has a right to know what you're getting into, and should be advised to avoid ring slings!

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#8 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Weird! I went through security with the Boba several times and never had any additional screening beyond them swabbing my palms. In fact, in the past I've deliberately opted to put her in the Boba to go through security, rather than carrying her or having my husband wear or carry her, because I'm always worried about the full-body scanner and those overly invasive pat-downs and having a baby attached to me seems to be the easiest way to avoid both of those. 

#9 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
I'm always worried about the full-body scanner and those overly invasive pat-downs and having a baby attached to me seems to be the easiest way to avoid both of those.

This was exactly why I wore DD as well, because even when I took her out of the sling, I could carry her through the regular metal detector and it was so much quicker.  I would always opt out of the scan but that's almost like begging for a pat down - definitely made it easier with a toddler in tow!

#10 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Weird! I went through security with the Boba several times and never had any additional screening beyond them swabbing my palms. In fact, in the past I've deliberately opted to put her in the Boba to go through security, rather than carrying her or having my husband wear or carry her, because I'm always worried about the full-body scanner and those overly invasive pat-downs and having a baby attached to me seems to be the easiest way to avoid both of those. 

I think it's all about the metal. A boba wouldn't set of the metal detectors. I just didn't think of this when I packed our ring sling instead of any other carriers.

#11 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hmm. Not about the metal in my experience. Several countries, several airports, I've always had to lift my sleeping babies away from my body, even if just for a moment for a quick glance.
SO UNHELPFUL that there is no consistent experience so that parents can plan accordingly.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#12 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM

I've flown soooo many times with infants in wraps and have always had to remove them, UNTIL this September. For the first time ever, they didn't ask me to unwrap. It was pretty nice!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#13 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I went through security with the Boba several times and never had any additional screening beyond them swabbing my palms.

I traveled with my 2 month old in a Beco carrier this November and experienced the palm swabbing both ways. It took a little longer but much easier than removing her & since you get to go through the priority lane it's faster than traveling without a kid. Either they're changing the guidelines for carriers or we just got lucky. 

#14 of 15 Old 12-29-2013, 01:19 PM

they do make nylon rings slingrings.com sells them and they shouldn't set off the detectors

doopamama likes this.
#15 of 15 Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, but that's not really an option if you already have a nice sling you like smile.gif

I traveled again recently and am amazed at how different the other airport was. They didn't even bomb scan our formula last time.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page