Woven wrap back carry: advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I made my own woven wraps and have been using them for front, and very rarely hip, carries for a few months now- but my baby's getting bigger (7 months, ~19 lbs) and a back carry would be more comfortable. I tried it last night- I needed my partner just to wrap the thing (basically I stood there and tried to help while my partner did most of the work), when my baby would squirm into a bad position, I had to ask my partner for help, etc. I liked how it felt- but I have no idea how to do it on my own!

Can anyone give advice on how to wrap it on my own? I've seen the videos and I just can't figure out how to juggle holding a squirmy baby in place while correctly wrapping it. Trying to wrap from behind is so clunky... 

Also, does anyone have advice on making adjustments while the baby's on? I imagine I could just figure it out as I go, but I had problems.

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#2 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love babywearing Faith's videos. She explains things well. Two things help me a lot:
1) I tuck the bottom rail into baby's pants to create the seat before I even get her up there.
2) as soon as she's up, I pull the top rails tight so she can't lean away and pin them under my chin while I get set for the next step. I always keep the top rail tight and when I switch hands to wrap with the other tail, whichever part I'm not using is firmly pinned under my chin/between my knees.
I hope that helps. Keeping tension while you wrap is very important but it can be tricky! Good luck!
sillysapling likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM

What carry are you trying? I found a ruck the easiest to learn since it has only one pass over baby it's fast.

Lots of people like secure high back carry since you tie a half knot to pine the baby in place after the first pass but I find that carry less comfortable than a ruck.
sillysapling likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I love babywearing Faith's videos. She explains things well. Two things help me a lot:
1) I tuck the bottom rail into baby's pants to create the seat before I even get her up there.
2) as soon as she's up, I pull the top rails tight so she can't lean away and pin them under my chin while I get set for the next step. I always keep the top rail tight and when I switch hands to wrap with the other tail, whichever part I'm not using is firmly pinned under my chin/between my knees.
I hope that helps. Keeping tension while you wrap is very important but it can be tricky! Good luck!

Thank you for that suggestion! My biggest problem is keeping the top rail in place over baby's back. If I can get someone to lift it into place after I'm done, I can otherwise do it myself fine- but without someone to do that, my baby leans away and it gets uncomfortable and feels dangerous (I've never left it long enough to find out if it is or not- and don't plan to!). I'll definitely try that to see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frioct3 View Post

What carry are you trying? I found a ruck the easiest to learn since it has only one pass over baby it's fast.

Lots of people like secure high back carry since you tie a half knot to pine the baby in place after the first pass but I find that carry less comfortable than a ruck.

I've been using the cross-wrap. http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/backwrapcrosscarry.htm I like having it distributed across my chest, so I'll look into the secure high back carry, but if I'm still having trouble with that I'll try going with the ruck until I get the hang of it better, as he gets heavier I think I'll need the weight distributed but for now the ruck would probably be alright. Thank you for the advice!

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#5 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM

You could try tying Tibetian on your ruck, that would get some of the weight to your chest as well.
sillysapling likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Maybe try a double hammock. Because the one side is shorter it's easy to keep tension with your knees, and the tight rail going over your shoulder keeps the baby glued down really well.
sillysapling likes this.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page