Best carrier for nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I want to be able to wear my son most of the day, letting him sleep and nurse as he pleases. What is the best carrier for that purpose? Also, how does breast access work when in public? Is it possible to nurse discreetly? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I enjoyed nursing in a ring sling.  Didn't get one til DD was like 5mos but it was super easy and she was completely covered in the sling.  I tried with the moby as an infant, it was hard but small boobs might have made it more difficult for me than for others with normal boobs!  Babies are easy to nurse discretely...it's the older ones and toddlers that no longer wish to be covered up and want to look around like it's a dinner show while they nurse lol.

bayosgirl87 likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

I enjoyed nursing in a ring sling.  Didn't get one til DD was like 5mos but it was super easy and she was completely covered in the sling.  I tried with the moby as an infant, it was hard but small boobs might have made it more difficult for me than for others with normal boobs!  Babies are easy to nurse discretely...it's the older ones and toddlers that no longer wish to be covered up and want to look around like it's a dinner show while they nurse lol.

I bought a Moby and it's on its way. We'll see how it works for us.

#4 of 8 Old 12-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use a Boba. I don't know if it's the best, but it works for us. I just lower the strap on the side I'm nursing. There are youtube videos showing it. It takes a little practice. Whether you can nurse discreetly depends on how you dress. I've nursed in shirts like this and this in the Boba with the hood up and people would ask me if the baby was sleeping: they didn't know he was nursing.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 8 Old 12-21-2013, 07:34 PM

I've nursed in many carriers but my favourites are the ring sling and wrap.  A mai tei works well too.  I think the ease and modesty depends on your chest size and size of baby.  Ring slings are nice because you can use the tail for extra coverage but they sometimes aren't as comfortable to wear for long periods of time.  I like wraps the best because you can pull the rail over for coverage and they are very comfortable over long periods of time.  

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#6 of 8 Old 12-22-2013, 08:56 AM

I'm looking forward to trying a ring sling when my baby is a bit older.  I've done it a few times in the Ergo carrier - it is harder now with the infant insert, but I nursed my older daughter in it pretty easily.  I have pretty small breasts, so I think that makes it harder for me - I really have to push them toward her mouth and sort of hold it there.  

The Ergo is nice because with the hood and the straps on the side, you can do it pretty discreetly.  You can also wear a loose cardigan which will hide everything from the sides.  I learned how to do it with a You'Tube video!

#7 of 8 Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM

For nursing a baby under 4 months, I strongly recommend a Moby Wrap. You can cover up with a ring sling too, but personally I like wraps better and nursing involved no thinking with a Moby. My older kids also had no problem nursing in an ERGObaby carrier which I loved, but I usually used a lightweight blanket to be extra discreet.

SAHM of newborn boy, 2 year old girl, and 4 year old boy. Visit my website: http://researchparent.com
#8 of 8 Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 AM

I used a Baby K'tan with both my lo's and nursed in it as well. Was really great to have when I was out and about.

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page