Front carrier for newborn? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

When my son was a baby, we LOVED the Maya Wrap and used it constantly from about 2 months until he was walking well...but in the first month or two, he was so small that if I didn't put wadded baby blankets around him (which worried me--suffocation hazard) he would be down in the bottom of the pouch with the fabric closing over him and would panic if awake; he wanted to be able to see out.

My mom had given me an Infantino frontpack that looked similar to what she remembered using when I was a baby, but it was barely adequate: the buckles slipped so that I had to readjust it frequently, and I didn't like the idea of carrying his weight on his crotch rather than having his legs folded up.  We only used it until he was comfortable in the Maya.

He will be almost 9 when his sibling is born, so ideally I'd like to have a carrier that allows him, as well as parents, to carry the baby when it's small.

What's a good carrier for a newborn that's easy to use (I'm not keen on the complicated wraps) and not terribly expensive (since we'll only be using it for a few months)?

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#2 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It's usually easy to find an Ergo on sale somewhere. I used mine right from the begining. Instead of buying the infant insert, I rolled up a soft blanket and put it under baby's bum to lift him up to the proper height. It worked great for me. The Beco Gemini lets you carry an infant without an insert. The Boba 4G also has an integrated infant insert. These are all easy to adjust and don't slip. You can often find carriers used as well. Many stores will let you try them out before buying to see what's comfortable.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 12 Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Ring slings are user friendly!  DD was 9wks old when my sister was finally able to come up to visit.  Now she's not remotely baby savvy and I was  little uncomfortable wrapping her up in a moby with my LO...fast forward to our first visit south to see my sister, DD was 10mos, I had picked up a ring sling around 5mos and that's what we had with us and she was able to use it no problem.  DD is 2 now and will occasionally wear my sling to carry her babies!

#4 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another really good option is a mei tai. It's like an ergo with long straps instead of buckles. You can roll the waist to make the body shorter when baby is tiny. It's great for front and back carries and even Walmart sells one for $30 or $40 (I can't remember). If you search for mei tai front carry on you tube, there are lots of great videos to show you how they work.
#5 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas!  I'm not worried that a ring sling isn't user-friendly, just that its pouch (at least, on the Maya Wrap) is too big for a newborn.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

#6 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

When my son was a baby, we LOVED the Maya Wrap and used it constantly from about 2 months until he was walking well...but in the first month or two, he was so small that if I didn't put wadded baby blankets around him (which worried me--suffocation hazard) he would be down in the bottom of the pouch with the fabric closing over him and would panic if awake; he wanted to be able to see out.

My mom had given me an Infantino frontpack that looked similar to what she remembered using when I was a baby, but it was barely adequate: the buckles slipped so that I had to readjust it frequently, and I didn't like the idea of carrying his weight on his crotch rather than having his legs folded up.  We only used it until he was comfortable in the Maya.

He will be almost 9 when his sibling is born, so ideally I'd like to have a carrier that allows him, as well as parents, to carry the baby when it's small.

What's a good carrier for a newborn that's easy to use (I'm not keen on the complicated wraps) and not terribly expensive (since we'll only be using it for a few months)?
I loved the moby wrap from birth to 15 months or more. Takes some getting used to the different wraps but once you have it down it is fairly easy.
#7 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 AM

I don't like the Moby after fifteen pounds, it just hurts my shoulders. Woven wraps are so much more pain free after that point.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#8 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM

I agree with Serafina. Woven wraps support my 33lb 32 month old beautifully but stretchy wraps like the moby were sagging by 12-15 lb.
#9 of 12 Old 12-23-2013, 12:59 PM

How were you wearing the maya ring sling? A ring sling is great when doing a chest to chest carry with newborn... And there's no way for them to slip into a pocket. If you don't want a wrap and you want it to fit many body types, a Mai tei or ring sling is probably your best bet. smile.gif

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#10 of 12 Old 12-25-2013, 12:51 PM

I had mine in a ring sling, I carried DD2 out of hospital in it. A didysling to be precise. Not bulky, not much fabric, chest to chest position with the legs totally tucked into the sling. Totally easy to adjust. 

It does get uncomfortable when the baby gets heavier, but than he'll be no newborn anymore! 

And as soon as they are toddlers they are really helpful again, when they want this into-mommys-arms-out-of-mommys-arms thing every 30 feet. 

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#11 of 12 Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

I was using the Maya to hold him in a cradled position; when he was tiny the pouch was too deep for that and would close at the top. Sounds like there is a better carry for a newborn--I will look into that!

#12 of 12 Old 12-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Cradle is not recommended because of positioning issues. But ring are great. Here is tute that gives a good visual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wsh8v4AHT0&feature=youtube_gdata_playerplayer

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page