Scratching and biting in carrier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

My 12 mo wants to be in my arms 60% of the day. Obviously baby wearing is the only way I get much accomplished/keep my arms from falling off, this kids is HEAVY! Recently he scratches, bites, hits and pulls my hair in the ergo, both front carry and back. I've been giving him a warning: "gentle hands/ no bite" and then immediately putting him down if he repeats the action. He follows me around crying until I pick him up again.

I just don't know what to do with this behavior. I miss being able to peacefully wear him for long periods. He seems to do better in the ring sling, but it's too much weight on my shoulder to do for too long. Should I try a wrap or is he too big to bother? Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#2 of 4 Old 12-17-2013, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If he likes the sling then I'd definitely try a wrap. It feels very much like a ring sling to kiddo and different from a structured carrier like ergo, etc. I don't think he's too old at all. My nearly 3 year old loves going on my back even though I really didn't wear her as a baby. If you can borrow a wrap from a local mama, that would be ideal. Some moms have great success clipping a toy to the carrier or wearing a nursing necklace too to keep busy little hands occupied. I hope you find something that works!
#3 of 4 Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

it will pass.

there was a period I had to wear necklaces backwords in a back-carrier, to occupy them.

#4 of 4 Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Definitely consider a wrap- I think it may feel more secure- and the ergo is outgrown by bigger kids anywhere from 12-18 months.  As he looses that true M position in the seat, he will be more squirmy. 

Of course, there is also the 'I am a toddler, see me explore!' stage which makes those nursing necklaces invaluable. Also, clipping toys to the carrier can help. 

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page