anyone know of a sling/carrier that.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-27-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a sling/carrier that would be good for a baby who uses the sling to shut out the world (5 wks-cradle carry) but also good for a mama who has back/neck problems and lives in a place with hot summers? I'm using a kkafp but it was way too hot yesterday to use it and baby was utterly distraught without it. He likes to be way down inside, and complains if there is any light getting in. This is our evening ritual..... and last night even swaddling wouldn't work. had to be the sling. Any advice? What should I get? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-27-2004, 11:23 PM

I would say a ring sling with a deep pouch - you can use the tail to really block out the light.
#3 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say Kristine's BabySpace Adjustable Pouch . It would have more depth than a regular ring sling and hers has an open tail that can be draped over baby.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#4 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 01:01 PM

A stretch wrap should work too. I have put my 2yo in it when walking and when she falls asleep pulled it over her head to keep her head from bopping around.
#5 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 01:10 PM

The KKACP has a nice deep pouch. I just rented my KKACP to a mom with a four week old...he snuggled very deeply down there and she could pull the fabric over his face to block out the world. But a Baby Space AP would probably be better because it has the tail...I don't think the KKACP would work as well to shut out the world as the baby got older.

-Kate
#6 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 02:32 PM

I was also going to suggest a stretch wrap. You can "hide" baby and the weight is distributed a little better for your back.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#7 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon
I would say Kristine's BabySpace Adjustable Pouch . It would have more depth than a regular ring sling and hers has an open tail that can be draped over baby.
LOL, thanks Jeni! And I would have to recomend Jeni's Wise Woman Sling if you prefer closed tails.

Both slings are totally adjustable because of rings but have the nice deep pouch because of the curve. I havent seen this one in person but it looks very well made.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#8 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! The baby space ap and wise woman slings, are they cool enough for summer? Do the rings slip at all? The only sling we've owned is the kkafp.... so I have no experience with ring slings. Or wraps- how do you do a carry with a wrap that covers the baby completely? Are wraps easy to do? My little one gets fed up with dressing or if he gets moved around too much, so is it worth worrying that arranging a wrap would disturb him? Thank you for your advice!
#9 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 06:12 PM

I have a flannel Wise Woman sling. I haven't had any problems with the rings slipping. I wouldn't use it if the temp was in the 100's, but depending if heat bothers you any sling may bother you at that temp.lol

It takes a couple of tries to get a wrap figured out but once you do it's not hard at all. I do a hip cross carry or a front cross carry and they both allow me to cover her right up. Once I put it on and then put Nadia in it she doesn't move much if at all.

For the hip cross carry I drap it over my right shoulder and bring both ends to my left hip and cross them. I then take the ends to my right hip and cross. Then I take the end in front and bring it around the left hip and tie in the back or side depending on where they'll meet. If I have more excess fabric I'll do an extra cross at the left hip and then bring the end in front across the right hip.

For the front cross carry, I'll start at my waist in the middle and bring the ends around to my back, cross them and bring them up over my shoulders to the front. I cross them again and bring them to my back and tie, or do another cross and bring them to the front and tie.

For both I put her legs in so 1 side of the cross is under each leg and then bring up some fabric from one of the other crosses behind her back and that is the section that I can pull over her head.

It probably makes more sense with pictures.lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page