Mothering Forum banner

Hotsling or Simply Attached??

709 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  kimberlylibby 
#1 ·
Any one give me input on these 2 slings? I've only ever used a Mayawrap.
My ds is about 23 lbs.
TIA

#2 ·
The Hotsling is a pouch style and the Simply Attached is a wrap made out of microfleece. Given we're heading into summer, I definitely wouldn't recommend the SA. (And actually, the SA is such an easy thing to make yourself if you were inclined... It's 5 yards of microfleece with a cut fringed end - the ends aren't even hemmed or finished in any way.)

If you're only going to make one more purchase and your boy is 23lbs you might want to consider something that goes over two shoulders and distributes his weight better. A wrap (something cooler than the SA) or an Asian-style carrier would be great.

If you decide to go with the Hotsling I recommend adding the leg rail. It's so great for the heavier babes, and doesn't really add a lot of bulk to the pouch. We just got a Hotsling recently and love it. My toddler keeps bringing it to me and asking to get in, which she rarely does with any of our other carriers (and we have a lot of them lying around!!).

#3 ·
I'm interested in hearing about the Hotsling, too. I got it confused with hotmamasling and didn't realize it was a separate product until just recently. the price is definitely right, and I like that there is a padded leg rail.

#4 ·
Gonna have to say HotSling! I dont have one but they look too cool! The SA (like Melanie said) is a microfleece wrap so its really like comparing apples to oranges. If you live in a warmer climate I'd say try to stay light!

#5 ·
Can you give me some ideas on two shoulder carriers? I am clueless beyond my Maya! Thanks!

#8 ·
Kristen, you're fabulous...here's someone thinking about buying one of your slings, and you go recommending others that you think she might like!

Anyway, I haven't gotten to use my hotsling yet - it came and was too big (Kristen told me to get a smaller size but I didn't listen - always trust your WAHMS!) But, I loved the design of it - the shoulder was so nice, and the pouch was so deep. I didn't order the leg rails, but they seem like a nice touch.

#11 ·
Hoping I can jump in on this thread, i've been considering the hotsling too!

I have a 4 week old, and would like a sling that I can use this summer. Right now I have a PIP, and I think it's going to be too warm. I also have 15 more pounds to lose from having her. With her growing, and me *hopefully* shrinking, how far would one sling take me? Is this something I could buy and be able to use with my daughter from here on out, or would I need to eventually get one bigger when she grows?

I ordered the PIP, and it works for now, but the size it is, I don't think it'll work for a hip-carry when she's older, even with the stretch.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by arismommy
Can you give me some ideas on two shoulder carriers? I am clueless beyond my Maya! Thanks!
Sure thing! There are a few different options.

You could go with a wrap which is basically a long strip of fabric that can be used to tie baby on in a variety of ways. There are two styles of wraps - woven and knit (also referred to as stretchy). The woven variety includes the EllaRoo, Girasol, Didymos, etc. The knit variety includes the Moby Wrap, Hug-a-Bub, Baby Bundler, Ultimate Baby Wrap, Simply Attached. (The first three are fairly similar cotton knits like a t-shirt, the UBW is a cotton/lycra blend, the SA is a polyester fleece. Different beasts really, but all classify as knit/stretchy wraps.) It is also quite easy to make your own wrap with 4-6 yards of fabric cut to 25-30" wide.

Another option would be an Asian-style baby carrier, often referred to as an ABC. These come in unstructured and structured versions. Both start as a basic rectangle of fabric with straps coming out of each corner. The unstructured usually has unpadded or lightly padded straps that you adjust by tying in a knot. The structured carriers, often called soft pack carriers, are usually more heavily padded in the strap area and fasten/asjust with buckles and clips. Unstructured would include the Kozy Carrier, Baby Back Tie, Packababy, Equanimity Baby Mei Tai. Structured soft packs include the Ergo and Sutemi.

If you check out http://www.thebabywearer.com there are links for all of the carriers in these categories, including reviews of the different brands and styles. You have to register to see the information, but it is free painless.

HTH!

#13 ·
Is the shoulder on the hotsling tapered, or narrowed? One thing about the KKAFP that concerned me was how wide it was, and how that would limit arm movement. The PIP has a tapered shoulder, does the hotsling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.