Best SSC??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im looking for suggestions on the best soft structured for me and my 3 mth old. Im quite thin and tall and so are my babies and an Ergo just felt bulky to me. Any favorites and why?

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Sorry , I really liked the ergo. I have been using it for 3 years now.bidding you give it a long enough try?
Anyone else?
#3 of 13 Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love our Boba, and I've heard awesome things about the Tula

#4 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 AM

Just got a Boba. It's much much more comfortable than my Ergo performance. The straps are cushier and the fabric is softer. Just a better product. If you are looking for less bulk go for a wrap.
#5 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM

I've tried the Ergo (too short and wide), a Kinderpack (not bad, but the straps are annoyingly bulky, and if you're small, I wouldn't recommend it), a BabyHawk Oh Snap, and a Blue Kangaroo Kanga.  I'd suggest a Kanga.  They are not bulky at all, hold the baby up close in a high-back carry, and are so comfortable!  I think the size you want is a X2....and I'd try to find one that cinches from regular to petite, that will give you the most sizing options.  I have found them used on the Babywearing site...let me see if I can find one.....

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?526839-Echino-Kanga-X2-and-2-Wrap-Conversions-Bamberoo-and-Anaira

This is one for sale...it is the bottom one, the pink one!

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?526727-Kanga-x2-xl-cinching-to-petite-straps

Or this one, the pictures are further down.

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?526118-Kanga-X2-Giraffe-Love-print

If my baby were smaller, I'd so grab this one!!!!  So adorable!

Anyway....I love my Kangas!  :)  Good luck.

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 PM

I personally have wraps now, for baby #2 :)  I found them initially quite intimidating but once you get on the learning curve, they are super versatile!  In the babywearing group I'm part of, the most sought after/comfy/highest rated SSC is the Tula, specifically the toddler Tula if you have a sizey baby :D

#7 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 01:33 PM

I used an Ergo until this last month with my 14 month old and was happy with it, but I just got a Tula and I LOVE it.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 13 Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for the suggestions! Ive been trying to get on the babywearing site but its giving me problems so I cant view anything yet. I have just about every other carrier except a SSC so Im hoping to make it a good fit for the longest period of time possible and Im thinking the Tula would work best. But shes still so tiny, just super long! Shes only about 14 lbs, when is it safe to carry her in it?

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
#9 of 13 Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM

She would be fine in a standard Tula. I think the toddler is like 23 pounds and up.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#10 of 13 Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 AM

I, personally, wouldn't worry about her weight so much...it seems like the issue with SSC is more how their legs fit, so if she's super long, then her legs should fit nicely.  Also, wanted to give more feedback on the Kinderpack--now that I've used it a bit longer, I'm finding that the straps, while bulky, are pretty flexible, so you may not mind them.  If you go with one of those, try the infant/standard--it has a cinching strap so it can get very narrow at the base and can be let out to grow with your baby.  Also, I've heard good things about the Tula, but the shoulder straps can't be crossed--so if you want to do front carries, it is nice to have the option of the crossed straps.  Here's a link to one that's for sale:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?526824-Infant-Standard-Kinderpack-KP-WHALES-on-soft-Blue-Turqouise-Super-Cute-and-Comfy

That said, I do wonder if you'd prefer a Kanga, being smaller/narrower.  I'm 5'3" but on the stocky side.  (I really like that giraffe one I posted in the last post--it was the bottom link...that size would fit your baby for a long time!

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#11 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM

I have a Beco and I love it. My babies are long and thin too, and I didn't like the Ergo either. The Beco has a a thin piece of fabric between mom and baby so there is no way baby can slip down when going from front to back carry.

Wife to one amazing man and mama to three!

DD1 (03/09), DD2 (06/11), DS (01/14) love.gif

2014: 30/70lbs, 4/52 crafts
#12 of 13 Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

It depends on the person.  I know people who adore their Ergos, I personally can't ever get it comfortable.  Same with the Boba.  My husband loves the fit of the boba and finds the Ergo quite comfortable too.  I haven't tried Becos though they look smaller and less bulky.  

Can you get an infant insert for the Tula?  

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#13 of 13 Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

So I went out on a limb and ordered the Tula and its OH SO beautiful, its gray with a willow looking tree and humming birds embroidered on it, cant wait to get it! Its a good chunk of change too so I hope we are happy with it. I figure if shes too little for it now it will be perfect come spring/summer time at least!

Tags
Babywearing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page