Help with infant and Maya wrap! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-28-2004, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Maya wrap and I can't seem to put my infant into it correctly. I have the DVD that I need to watch again for sure. But the problem is that it seems that my 11 pound 3 week old is all squashed in it. He looks uncomfortable. I figure it mimics the womb but...well, he's squashed. Do I wear him high or low? He also puts a strain on my back. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions. By the way I am laying him down in the sling with his head toward the rings. The other way would make him somewhat upside down...double uncomfortable!

Thanks,
Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2004, 12:57 AM

I had the same problem with my ds when he was an infant tho I was using an OTSBH. Not only did he look uncomfortable he was--crying and obviously wanting to be out of that sling, mama. Eventually I gave up and used our bjorn until he was about 4 mos at which point I saw someone posting something about tummy to tummy carry. I tried it and there was no looking back. So all this to say that alot of infants dislike the cradle carry and are far more comfy tummy to tummy. Just make sure that the sling is drawn up around his neck and head for support his neck and that you wear him high and tight. You can draw his legs up to his body also. HTH and blessings on your new babe.
#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2004, 02:36 AM

Definetly try the tummy to tummy positions. My baby hated the cradle position. Also make sure that you wear him high and tight across you, and that the fabric is cupping your shoulder and spread across your back.
http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...ngProblems.htm
There are also a bunch of other good articles that may help you.

HTH!!
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2004, 11:51 AM

I was having this same problem with my now 8 week old dd. She starts crying immediately when I try to get her to lay down in the maya. I haven't had any luck with the tummy to tummy being the greatest either. She's fine, but I know it's not quite right how low the rings go. This weekend I'm going to a store where they sell them and I'm going to make that mama show me what I'm doing wrong. I think that will be better than the video. For now we're using the Bjorn too. Not the greatest, but it works.

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#5 of 6 Old 04-29-2004, 12:44 PM

I had trouble with cradle carry until my DD was a little older. For us I used a football hold instead. I had her so her head was facing the rings and the rings were in the correct place but she was more to my side which gave her more room. She was also kinda turned inward so she cupped my body more but head and body still mostly upright (skyward). Make sence? This is the posistion I had nursed her in and carried her in without the sling so it just made sence for us. Tummy to tummy is the other good one or semi-reclined cradle.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#6 of 6 Old 04-29-2004, 03:11 PM

He won't be upside down with his head opposite the rings, it just seems that way. His head will rest against the upper edge of the outer rail. You can fold the fabric back, making a double layer to support his head, and that works nicely. I also second the rec of trying the upright snuggle hold.

As far as technical use of the Maya Wrap for best performance and comfort, here's my standard list of suggestions:

1. Make sure the shoulder flap is open BEFORE you thread your sling. That means that if you wear your sling on the right shoulder, the edge of the open flap should be the bottom edge of your sling all the way around. If you wear it on the right, it should be the top edge all the way around. Otherwise, the body of the sling WILL be twisted, and twisted is not good.

2. Once the sling is threaded, find the outer edges of the fabric in the tail and pull them away from each other. You want the edges of the fabric to be the edges of the tail. The pocket will be on the front of the tail (facing out). That way when you need to adjust, you know the inner edge of the tail controls the top rail of the sling, and the outer edge of the tail controls the bottom rail.

3. Have the sling adjusted close to where you want it before you put the baby in, so that you mainly adjust the edges of the tail. Otherwise, you start with the baby really low and will likely pull the rings down instead of pulling the baby up.

4. Make sure the lowest point of the baby is no lower than your waist. If the baby is in a hip or T2T carry with feet out, make sure the fabric comes into the back of baby's knee so the thigh is up in a seated position, parallel to the floor, and the top edge is at least up to the armpits. The baby's butt should be slightly lower than the knees so they are really sitting down in the seat created by the fabric.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page