ring sling help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-17-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wanting to wear my 16 month old more and I'm wanting to try out a ring sling. I have a moby but my back starts to hurt after about 30 mins. I've read a lot about the maya but wanted to see what else is out there. What should I look for in a ring sling? I don't want to get one that is unsafe or uncomfortable...I found a lady on a local FB group that makes them and I really like some of the prints that she has. I don't know if you can tell much from pics and the description that I'll post but figured that someone would have some good information. Also, any other recommendations on ring slings would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

~~Boutique style baby ring sling in 100% cotton fabric. Each sling is double sided with a pleated top to fit nicely across the shoulder. They measure approximately 78 inches in length so they are great for most sizes and caregivers. Also has a tail long enough to use for a nursing cover. Pocket included to hold a few things so you don't need to carry a purse. O rings tested to hold up to 250 lbs, but of course the sling is intended for up to 35lbs.

pokeyac likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 AM

There are so many brands out there - Maya Wrap, Comfy Joey, Sleeping Baby Productions, Sakura Bloom - just to name a few! There aren't any laws currently about WAHM's selling babycarriers, but there will be soon. I would ask the seller if she is CPSIA compliant, a member of the Baby Carrier Industry Alliance, and then would ask specific questions about her slings.

1. Is she using SlingRings? They are specifically made for baby carriers and I would not use a sling using something else.

2. How many rows of stitching are on the shoulder? 2 is ok. 3 is better. 

I hope that helps some. I personally have only bought from the places I've listed above. 

sassyfirechick likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have a Maya Ring Sling and it works well for the hip carry with my 8.5 month old. I have always had trouble adjusting it so it was tight enough, but I probably just needed to ask for help. Now that he's bigger, it seems to be a little easier.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!
#5 of 6 Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I have a Sakura because I didn't want to take the chance on an unknown and am not crafty enough to sew my own!  But I love it, and while it reached it's limit when DD turned 2 and was about 30lbs, the one shoulder was just too much for me, but up til them I had no problem and in a pinch I can still do a short term back carry with her.  DH doesn't have that issue and can still comfortably wear her in it, so it's more likely because I have mild scoliosis that it tends to kick my chiropractic adjustments out of whack sooner than normal.

#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ring slings are great for short periods w/older babies like yours, but as another poster mentioned they tend to throw my spine/neck/shoulders out of whack too. What types of scenarios are you wanting to babywear for? 
I personally like an ergo type carrier better for older or heavier babies so the weight is distributed more evenly, like when we hike on a trail that's not suited for the baby jogger. 
I like ring slings for popping in & out of places while running errands if LO wants to be held or you need to go faster than a toddler can go. I'm really fast at throwing it on and getting baby situated lickety split. 
I've been caring for a friends 15 mon old recently and I don't tend to babywear him at home anymore unless he's sick and needs lots of holding. One day all I had was my ring sling and not the ergo and boy was my body cranky the next day!
The other thing I don't particularly care for w/ring slings is the more limited range of motion for the arm/shoulder that the wrap is resting on. 
Things to ponder.... 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page