what do you do while wearing baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think I finally got a hold that my DD likes!  I put her in the lotus position, facing out, in our Moby, as a last resort.  I took it out of the wash to try this one last thing, as I had made up my mind to wash it and save it for a gift or donate it.  But this morning, she stayed in for an hour as we walked around the house and I showed her different things, washed a few dishes, put up a couple of pictures on the wall, and started laundry.  Then after her nap, she went in for another half hour as we organized some stuff (we recently moved and are still finishing up unpacking).

But while I'm absolutely thrilled at the prospect of finally being able to get some things done during the day, I wonder what I should and shouldn't try to do while wearing her.  I read in another forum the suggestion to "keep moving", as in stay off my bum.  Ok, fine, so no internetting while wearing her probably, got it.  But I can't just go for walks with her between her naps all the time.  I want to be productive in other ways too.

So, what do you do while wearing your LO?

hippie.gifHappily married to Alexstillheart.gif

SAHM to Maya, born 11/25/13 homebirth.jpg

Pet parents to dog2.gifdog2.gif

familybed1.gif bfinfant.gifcd.gifecbaby.gifslinggirl.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I used to vacuum while wearing DS. It put him to sleep and was great for naps.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do a lot of cooking and cleaning with my dd on my back. :) Vacuuming is great and does put her to sleep. I sweep/Swiffer my kitchen floors, dust, clean windows, do dishes (I sway while I do that to keep motion), clean counters... I've even done some minor garden work with her on my back. I cook dinner with her on my back more nights than I don't.

Happy mama to our sweet pea  (08/25/13), loving wife to my brilliant gentleman  (09/10/11)

Breastfeeding, babywearing, and promoting natural health one day at a time!

*Cautiously expecting number TWO May 30, 2014*

#4 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

At what age can I try wearing DD on my back?

If baby falls asleep in carrier, do you ever take her/him out?  (Say, to catch a shower for instance.)

#5 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM

6 months for a back carry. 

Can definitely take kid out after they fall asleep; done it tons of times. You have to wait a little while, though, until they are deeply asleep (limbs are limp). Otherwise they'll wake back up. 

Things i do while babywearing: many/most household chores except dishes (hard to do in a front carry) and can only do a limited amount of straightening. If the toddler is around I get her to do a lot of the bending and picking stuff up; she likes to help. I also will sit down to eat or use the computer. I just keep swaying. In fact, I am doing that right now. 

#6 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
You can do a high back carry in a wrap as early as you like. You just need to make sure the wrap is up over their shoulders to give them good support. Google newborn back carry for tutorials. You can't do a back carry at any age in a stretchy wrap though. If they arch back they can fall out backwards.

I did anything I could do standing up as long as it didn't involve toxic chemicals or the risk of burns. Some people have a blanket no cooking rule but I feel comfortable with many aspects of cooking and food prep. I just avoided anything with a high splatter risk and didn't take things out of the oven if it required two hands. I would also put an apron over us both sometimes for added protection. Everyone has their own comfort level for this.

I didn't take mine out when they fell asleep because we did a fourth trimester. I could often spend some time sitting down once they fell asleep though, which was nice :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if DD would go for staying in if I sit. I have tried holding her on my lap both facing me and away as I try to work on the computer or Skype, but she has a short tolerance of this. What exactly do you do in a fourth trimester? I heard of it and remember Dh and me refer to her first three months that way. The first 2 weeks she was only put down for diaper changes and a sponge bath. She was born 2 weeks early, so that was my reasoning. We didn't use carriers much, just took turns holding her.

#8 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The fourth trimester is just what you did for the first two weeks but extended until 4-6months. The girls were on one of us constantly unless we were changing/bathing them or they were in the car seat. And they slept with us in bed, either on or next to us. We wore them a lot for practical reasons but also spent plenty of time just sitting and holding them too, especially in the early days or frequent feeds and changes :-)

I loved it. It is pretty full-on and intense but it felt very right for me and both girls seemed to benefit from it. I would definitely do it again.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You can do a back carry in an SSC when they can sit up well and support their heads/shoulders. smile.gif I started dd in a back carry around 5 months. If you have a woven wrap, you can do it earlier - but it does have to be a woven wrap, nothing that stretches (no Moby, Boba, etc).

You can absolutely take them out. Sometimes dd wakes up, but usually I can transfer her just fine or with a little rocking to settle her.

Happy mama to our sweet pea  (08/25/13), loving wife to my brilliant gentleman  (09/10/11)

Breastfeeding, babywearing, and promoting natural health one day at a time!

*Cautiously expecting number TWO May 30, 2014*

#10 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 07:24 PM

I staet wearing my babies on my back at 2 months. I often sit on an exercise ball and bounce while babywearing for activities where i need to sit. I do a lot of cooking, laundry, and dishes.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#11 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Mostly I just would wear while away from home, so shopping and hiking.

#12 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 11:16 PM

I did The Continuum Concept, under the tutelage of Jean Liedloff, where one carries the baby from birth to crawling.  I did a LOT of activities with baby in the sling, as long as it felt safe.  Some of those activities were:  Shopping; all household chores at hand which included all cooking; light gardening; outdoor concerts; dance classes but not 'full out;' touring; even bicycling and swimming.  How active a mother must be depends on the child and this is based a number of factors too numerous to mention here.  I have a client who plays the piano with her baby in her lap.   As the baby matures, their need for more movement and interesting environments to absorb increases, to match their brain's budding growth (so a computer often does not do it).   The activities one can easily do when they are in the first few months can shift a lot as they mature!  For example,  initially it may be easy to do most all house chores.  But, again, depending on the baby,  a wider scope of stimulus is needed.   Walks in nature always are doable but the pace MIGHT need to pick up a bit just before the baby crawls.  There are several known variables here but your baby lets you know when they are bored because of the type of sounds they make.  Once baby crawls, she rarely wants to be carried . . . However, The Continuum Concept involves other crucial factors too numerous to post here as well as many many benefits.

You can visit,  https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Continuum-Concept/237861046293412, to see some pictures of mothers carrying babies as different ages.  Always be sure you feel safe when baby wearing.  Also, I needed to trade off slings for different activities and to shift the areas of stress on my skeleton, many of my clients have found the same.  Have fun with it!

Tags
Babywearing

User Tag List