Leg circulation cut off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, this is my first time in this forum and I wish I had thought about posting this sooner! I finaly got a Pea-in-a-Pod sling that I bought used off the TP then had hand dyed. Well after about 2 months of waiting I get it and I hate it. Ok, I don't hate it but it doesn't seem to work for us at all. : The site looked so cute and I thought I would love it. My poor son gets the circulation to his legs cut off when I try to hip carry him in it. His legs literaly turn purple (thanks to my DH for pointing it out). I can't find any other position that my son fits into and that is comfortable. He is only almost 5 months and 17 lbs, so he's not huge. I am just so because I really wanted to be able to wear him. I carry him on my hip now but my arms can only take so much.

Ok, so I guess my question is: Has this happened to anyone else with a pouch sling? Is it just me? Am I doomed? Should I try a regular sling? : Ok so thats like 4 questions.
#2 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like the pouch is probably too small. You either need a larger pouch or need to try an adjustable sling.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#3 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 12:49 AM

Yes, I had this happen with a KKAFP. I emailed the owner and she said she'd never received any similar complaints but was willing to refund me the $ if I wanted. Well I kept the pouch because I kept thinking I could make it work but nope and the leg issue was just one of a couple of problems I had with it. However I have no problems with our maya wrap or our OTSBH both of which work well for hip carries.
#4 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 01:28 AM

hi hunnybumm,
We use a pouch style sling that I made and it doesnt have any padding around the legs like some do.. .there are times when I know it hurts her legs alittle bit and I adjust it and its better for her...thats the only problem like that we have had with ours. It did take some getting used to and I didnt like mine at first either.

How is the fit of your sling?

If your sling is not too small on you, you could sew in a little padding or just put a folded up recieveing blanket or something between the sling and your babies legs may help. I hope you find something that works for you mama

dust.gif
#5 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 01:43 AM

one more thing,
I was just thinking that since your son is only 5 months old you should be able to just tuck those legs in...I remember always having dd's legs in until she was about a year old...I know you said the hip carry was the only comfortable postion for you and I think you should be able to have his legs in and wear him that way.

I dont think you are doomed at all! It sounds like it may be the adjustment that goes along with learning to use one. I found it very difficult at first but it got much easier after a week or two. I have grown to luv my pouch sling.

dust.gif
#6 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 AM

Is his bum lower than his knees? It should be. Also, the fabric should be right behind his knees in the bend, and make sure none is bunching around there, pull it taut. Does that make sense?
#7 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, it sounds like the sling might be too small and like I need to make adjustments. I will pull it out again today and see if a few adjustments won't make a better fit. I think it might be too small because I can't get him to lay down in the sling there just isn't enough room, I tried and we kind of got stuck... and that wasn't fun. I think the material is bunching behind his legs so I can try and spread it out or I can try the receiving blanket behind them. I will post back with how it worked out.

Also, from looking at my sling and the pea in a pod web page mine looks different then all the slings pictured, so maybe I have an older and less fuctional sling? I would send an email and ask her, but with everything she is going through it just isn't worth it for me to even bother her.
#8 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 10:07 AM

With the amount of stretch in a PIP you should be able to get his whole body in there if it's the right size.

And if you prefer the hip carry, the bottom should be below his knees so that the bottom gets the 'brunt' of the pressure, not the crook of the knee. And this is the same for any sling.
#9 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Also, from looking at my sling and the pea in a pod web page mine looks different then all the slings pictured, so maybe I have an older and less fuctional sling? I would send an email and ask her, but with everything she is going through it just isn't worth it for me to even bother her.
This is exactly what i've been thinking about mine since i got it. I'm trying to figure it out with my four week old. I'm sure mine's too small, with my newborn i'm wearing it on the loosest setting, and I even emailed her my sizes when I ordered. With what she's going through, I feel bad about bothering her though, too. But I do notice the same thing you posted, mine seems to be cut different than the ones pictured.
#10 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 03:37 PM

As a few others metioned, it's crucial for the edge of the bottom rail to be at the back of the knee, so that the thigh is held up parallel to the floor in a seated position. If you do that, unless the sling is super tight and small, you shouldn't have a problem.
#11 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 04:45 PM

Here's another tip:

When I first started carrying DD in the Maya Wrap in hip carry, we had the same problem. What I did was to fold back the bottom rail so that the edge of the rail was up her back partway and she was sitting on a folded piece of fabric with no sewn edge. Now, there's enough fabric on the Maya that you can do this, don't know about your pouch. She never had marks or purple legs after that, and was visibly more comfortable.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#12 of 14 Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM

I only have this when I don't take the time to make sure her bum is lower than her leggies....
#13 of 14 Old 04-30-2004, 11:09 PM

hi, i am new. i have the MnM. when i first got it, i also thought it was way too small, but this thing strechs a LOT. it goes back in shape after washing and drying.
the leg thing, it did not happen to us, but i have given up on one shouldered carrier unless it is under 5 minutes.
#14 of 14 Old 05-01-2004, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68
Here's another tip:

When I first started carrying DD in the Maya Wrap in hip carry, we had the same problem. What I did was to fold back the bottom rail so that the edge of the rail was up her back partway and she was sitting on a folded piece of fabric with no sewn edge. Now, there's enough fabric on the Maya that you can do this, don't know about your pouch. She never had marks or purple legs after that, and was visibly more comfortable.
Thats a great idea!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page