Maya Wrap padded vs. non-padded shoulder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious on the new padded Maya's. Does anyone have experience using the old and new shoulders to compare? Which do you prefer? I've only used the original non-padded style and have always LOVED my Maya's. I'm curious if others like the padding.

I love the feel of the fabric as well. I wouldn't mind trying a new ring sling but want a woven type fabric. I've always had success with the shoulder pleating with the Maya. Any other brands similar you would recommend that I may be missing out on?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM

I've used both.  They have their pluses and minuses.  The old style was nice because it capped your shoulder, but if you were left-handed (which I am), it had to be threaded differently and could be slightly weird.  Also, I find that a non-padded shoulder tends to bind up the arm that it is on---if you tighten the bottom rail it cinches the shoulder down too.  The new padded shoulder is nice and cushy.  A little bulkier, but not really a big deal.  It tends to slide around a bit, but I like the fact that it doesn't pin my arm down nearly as much.

Hope that helps!  :)  I just bought a used bright stripes--I adore that pattern and had it in the unpadded version for my older son.  Now I have the padded one for my little guy!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#3 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! That helps a lot. I was thinking it would be nice that you could use it on any shoulder easily. Nice to hear it has it's pluses. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used padded. Thanks again!
#4 of 7 Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Glad it helped!  One more thing I just thought of--I tend to wear my son on the back of my hip (to free up my arm) when I'm working, and the padded Maya is SO much better for that.  In an unpadded sling, the rings press painfully into my collar bone, and I end up having to shove part of the tail between me and the rings as padding, which looks silly and bunches up.  I don't have that issue at all with my padded Maya.  Also, my old Mayas didn't have the zippered pocket, which comes in handy to throw in an extra pair of training pants/diaper!  :)  

Good luck in your search.  I found mine at http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?187-FSOT-Ring-Slings-and-Pouches :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#5 of 7 Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I really appreciate all your help.
#6 of 7 Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 PM

I feel like with the padded I had to have it at just the right spot so that after putting in babe and tightening it was comfortable.  With my unpadded there was so much more forgiveness for finding the sweet spot.  But with my second baby I switched to a Girasol after I couldn't get either maya to adjust properly with a newborn, and oh my gosh they are heaven.  The shoulder is gathered and it is just a dream to spread.  Perfect shoulder every time.  I now have 3 Girasols.  My mayas have been relegated to trunk duty in case I ever forget to grab one of the others.

#7 of 7 Old 05-03-2014, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize girasol made ring slings. Or did you have yours converted from a wrap?

Thanks!

Tags
Babywearing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page