Is BabyBjorn babywearing?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to the OP ~ my belief in this is that if you're wearing your baby, then you're babywearing. (duh?)

i don't know why using a Baby Bjorn would be any different.

i have a Snugli, and would like the Baby Bjorn active style (the one w/ extra back and shoulder supports for really active parents). i also just ordered a Maya wrap, which should be coming soon.

also... i'm very glad baby carriers like the BB are becoming so popular. anything that gets good parenting practices into the mainstream should be commended.
#32 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
also... i'm very glad baby carriers like the BB are becoming so popular. anything that gets good parenting practices into the mainstream should be commended.
Couldn't agree more!!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#33 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds
I like the sling better but my baby has reflux so he likes the bjorn better so he remains upright
OT: This is so true! Both my dd and ds had reflux, and the Bjorn was a godsend, as it allowed me to keep them upright without scrunching their bellies over (which obviously makes reflux worse).
#34 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 PM

I used the BB sometimes. It was great for a few things in particular: steep hiking with the baby (I don't think I would do it with a sling) going to airports when you are juggling lots of bags (I can't sling and carry a backpack at the same time) and taking quick jaunts through the mall when your baby wants to be facing out...

Didn't I read somewhere that they can be damaging to babies' pelvises, and to little boy babies' testicles? Because their whole body weight is resting there?
#35 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 06:45 PM

There is one article by a pair of chiros with no particular qualifications that is very weakly researched. Bjorn style front backs have been popular since the mid 70's (snugli, etc.) so if it caused such a prevalent condition, we'd be seeing a lot of it by now. More extensive discussion of this in prior threads

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=116019

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=105885

the article we're talking about

http://www.continuum-concept.org/rea...nalStress.html
#36 of 38 Old 05-03-2004, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never had a BB, but I do have a Baby Trekker and I had a Fisher-Price Safe Embrace front pack. That was not all that comfy for me, so I got rid of it.
I recently got a Moby Wrap, and I have to say for me it compares more to a front pack carrier than a sling. When I wear it, she is sitting in it with her back arched more, and her arms waving and legs dangling. Now she happens to like that, but sometimes I am in the mood for the upright free arms and legs, and sometimes I like to have her suggled up against me. I could sort of do that in the Moby Wrap, but I have found it is easier in my slings.
#37 of 38 Old 05-04-2004, 12:27 PM

Definitely! It's the only carrier DH will use.

Ours is a year old and does have adjustments to reduce strain on your back. I never use it anymore but was carrying DS through the airport in it (DH was going to be taking care of DS during the days while I was at a conference, so we chose the Bjorn over another carrier) and it was killing me at first until DH remarked that the adjustment on the back was off and once that was fixed, we were very comfy. DS is 20ish pounds, btw.

Some babies don't like the confinement of slings. DS to this day only likes positions where his arms and legs are free and he can look around, though he now tolerates ones where he is snuggled up closer.

Also, I researched the article about the dangers to baby's spine -- all the references cited are generic articles about back strain and do not support the hypothesis. I did a Medline search and couldn't find any published articles linking those types of carriers to any sort of back or hip problems. So, pick the one that works best for you.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#38 of 38 Old 05-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

comparing Baby Bjorn to Baby trekker: trekker has much more padding on the shoulders so can carry heavier babies in front with much greater ease. I carried my dd at 9 months on a long walk using a BB and by the end my back felt like an accordian. dd weighted 17 lb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page