Is BabyBjorn babywearing?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a BabyBjorn carrier. I never see anyone commenting regarding the BabyBjorn. Is the use of this product considered baby wearing??
#2 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 04:41 PM

Well, yes. I don't like them, personally. I think the babies look funny with their arms and legs flapping while mama walks. And I worry about the impact of a new baby carrying it's weight on it's pelvis like that. And I often see them with blankets thrown over their heads to protect them from the elements, whereas with a sling that's not a problem. They just don't look very comfortable, compared to a baby curled up in fetal position with his body pressed against mama's, and his head on her heart!

But yes, it is babywearing and I am at least grateful that the BBs are so popular these days. There also do seem to be some babies who prefer them over slings.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

I know what you are saying. I like seeing the babies reclining against their mamas - But it doesn't seem like the one shoulder carriers have enough support for the mamas and the papas. They don't seem to hold the baby as securely. I used the BabyBjorn when I did housework and other chores and so I needed to feel secure on all sides of my body and equal on both shoulders and hips. Do the one shoulder carriers provide this??
#4 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68
Well, yes. I don't like them, personally. I think the babies look funny with their arms and legs flapping while mama walks. And I worry about the impact of a new baby carrying it's weight on it's pelvis like that. And I often see them with blankets thrown over their heads to protect them from the elements, whereas with a sling that's not a problem. They just don't look very comfortable, compared to a baby curled up in fetal position with his body pressed against mama's, and his head on her heart!

But yes, it is babywearing and I am at least grateful that the BBs are so popular these days. There also do seem to be some babies who prefer them over slings.
Everything she said! I had a Baby Bjorn when DS was a nb and just didn't like it. The sling was MUCH better.
#5 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 07:06 PM

Slings, when used and fitted properly, are very snug and secure and comfortable for both wearer and baby. Unfortunately, a lot of times when you see the rare sling, it is a crappy Nojo, or the Mom has no one to show her how to wear the sling properly, so it doesn't look so great. I don't have a huge bias against the Bjorn type carriers, but I find them uncomfortable with a baby with any weight to it, and I just think the babies look uncomfortable with their legs hanging straight down and all the weight resting on their crotch. It took me a while at first to realize that the difference between something like the Bjorn and something like an Ergo or ABC is how wide the seat is. The wider seat holds the babies' thighs up in a seated position. So there are 2-shouldered alternatives to the Bjorn that are more comfy for parents and babies, and they generally can be worn for much longer, too (both at a stretch and longer in terms of baby's age). Even the Baby Trekker, which has better acceptance among the AP crowd because it's more supportive and comfy, has a fairly narrow seat.
#6 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 07:58 PM

Absolutely, yes.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#7 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 08:02 PM

I LOVED our bjorn when ds was a baby. I used that way more than a stroller. I didn't have any good sling help, but I always felt more secure with him in the bjorn. And ds never really took to the sling - he much preferred to be facing outward, and I always felt like I had to have a hand on him if I had him facing outward in the sling. Plus, he nursed constantly, and taking him in and out or readjusting the sling all the time was a pain. I wore him in there almost daily until he was a year old.

I do plan on trying some other slings with this new baby, and seeing if I can find one that I really like, but my bjorn will be standing by!
#8 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 09:32 PM

It is babywearing to me!
#9 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 09:36 PM

For sure!! Not everyone is going to like every carrier. Some people love the Bjorn, some people hate the Maya Wrap It's all good as long as the wearer and baby are comfortable IMO.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#10 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 PM

I don't know why it wouldn't be babywearing! It's umm, wearing your baby, isn't it??
#11 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 PM

I'd say yes to the Baby Bjorn. We started with an OTSBH and did NOT like it. We ended up getting a Bjorn after hearing lots of friends and even strangers tell us how much they liked it. DD really didn't like OTSBH when she was a baby but she would almost always chill out and enjoy her time in the Bjorn. Now we have a Maya Sling and a KK solarveil and we love these. I find the BB hurts my back now that she is 14lbs but dh still uses it with her if he's going to do yard work. I think baby wearing is more about simply wearing your baby than which product you choose to do that with. Use what works for you.
#12 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 10:24 PM

I just said when dd was a baby but really she's STILL a baby-only 5mos. I meant when she was a little infant baby! lol!
#13 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my kids all prefered front packs to slings. even in a sling they were only happy when plastered to me like in a front pack. none of them liked to be down inthe cradled position in the sling. I didn't have a bjorn but if I had knownn how much they wanted to be upright i would have just gotten a bjorn from the beginning. My SIL has it and wears her baby constantly in it. And he s such a peanut he will probably be in it until he is two :LOL

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#14 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 10:33 PM

Loved the Bjorn!

Slings never worked for us. Should count as you're wearing your baby on your front
#15 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 11:00 PM

Of course it's babywearing! You are wearing your baby, snuggled against your belly/chest!

We (dh and me) LOVED the Bjorns - we used them with dd and ds until they were about 6 months old, when I switched to the Maya sling in hip-carry mode. The kangaroo snuggle style was familiar to us and them since the newborn days in the NICU -- plus they almost always slept on one of us during those days, so the Bjorn kept them in that same position, but enabled me to get up and walk around!

I just got an Ergo, and I used the chest-facing position nonstop for about a week when ds (followed by dd) were sick. Felt like the old days!!
#16 of 38 Old 04-29-2004, 11:57 PM

It's baby-wearing to me. I bought a maya sling when I was pg, but I could never get the hang of it. My friend helped me once, and it felt right. But I was never able to put it on myself and have it feel right. It always felt insecure and awkward. So I couldn't use it.

But my daughter was (and still is) a clingy baby, so I had to do SOMETHING. I bought a Baby Bjorn after reading how easy it is to put on. I carried my daughter in it every time we went out somewhere until she was about 10 months old (she was quite heavy by then and it was getting uncomfortable to carry her that way). But by then, she became comfortable with sitting in the cart or the stroller.

I do hope I can figure out the sling if I have another baby though. It seems more versatile and more comfortable for longer (like when the baby gets heavier).
#17 of 38 Old 04-30-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby
Plus, he nursed constantly, and taking him in and out or readjusting the sling all the time was a pain. I wore him in there almost daily until he was a year old.
Were you able to nurse in the Bjorn? It seems like getting him in and out of that with the buckles and all would be more of a pain than just adjusting a pice of fabric. It's a shame you didn't have anyone who could help you learn to nurse in the sling. It's so handy to be able to do!
#18 of 38 Old 04-30-2004, 02:02 PM

Of course it's babywearing! To me a sling is much more comfortable, but if a BB works for you, then it's a great way to keep your baby safe and secure.
#19 of 38 Old 04-30-2004, 02:17 PM

Yes!

My son felt so safe and secure in there. Not to mention how much I loved it. Ds even came to dd's school when I was the "Mommy Helper." I had two hands free and he loved watching the kids.

I loved my Bjorn so much that I'm not ready to share it with anyone else. Even though ds has grown out of it. Does that sound crazy?
#20 of 38 Old 04-30-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
Were you able to nurse in the Bjorn? It seems like getting him in and out of that with the buckles and all would be more of a pain than just adjusting a pice of fabric.

It's possible to nurse without taking the Baby Bjorn ALL the way off. But you have to unbuckle one side. Total pita imo!!
The literature on the Bjorn say that you can bf while wearing it, but I find this seriously misleading.
And yes, I wrote them and told them my opinion!

On the other hand, I haven't mastered nursing an infant in a sling either......

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#21 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 01:05 AM

Yes!!! You are wearing your baby and that is babywearing....what you use is a detail....

That said I understand your confusion as in babywearing circles it seems like the BB is often looked down on - maybe cause its mass-marketed??? I'm not sure. But I have made peace with the fact that if it works for you and baby then that is all that matters.

As far as the BB goes for my ds once he passed about 5 months it became our favorite carrier and replaced our Rebozo and NN as most used. He is comfy and so am I even with him now at 11 months and 20 pounds. In addition I have absolutely no trouble nursing in it and never have. I just lower him down a bit by loosening the shoulder straps which is quite convienient. I have never had to unbunckle either side or take it off at all. In fact I think one reason I am a fan is that it is so easy for me to nurse while on the move. The more I talk to friends that have used the BB I think how easy it is to nurse depends on your body type more than the design of carrier.

Anyway, thats the long answer to your short question!
#22 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 02:16 AM
Banned

I loved my BB. Used it with three kids. Tried Maya Wrap but never got the hang of it. Didn't like baby trekker. Just got Kozy carrier and am set!!!
#23 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That said I understand your confusion as in babywearing circles it seems like the BB is often looked down on - maybe cause its mass-marketed???
I think it's because a lot of people have found the BB to be uncomfortable or even downright painful to use after short periods of time. Then many of these folks (especially ones hanging out at places like this!) went on to a sling (pouch, wrap, etc.) and had much better experiences. So they share their stories, and those of us who have never used a BB say "no thanks" right off the hop, and go on to tell other people "I never used one, but I heard...". It's true what they say, bad news travels!

For what it's worth... I think the BB folks have heard the news too. Haven't they changed the carriers recently to add more lower back support?

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#24 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 12:59 PM

I was able to nurse in the Bjorn when he was very small. When he was bigger, I had to take him out, but I always found it easier taking him in and out of the bjorn than the sling. I only had a ring sling, and had to readjust it every time, move his head away from the rings, etc. etc. Of course I found out much later that the sling I had was too big for me.

I plan on trying a few other slings this time around. Having the babe tight against my body and a quick in and out are very important to me, as I will have an active 3yo to be chasing after. I have a KKAFP, and plan on ordering a hotsling and maybe another one to try.

I like the idea of a sling better, but in my very limited sling experience, the bjorn always felt more secure - I could bend over and not have to worry about him falling out, didn't have to worry about bumping his head when I went through doorways, etc. But again, I hope to find a sling this time that works for us.
#25 of 38 Old 05-01-2004, 08:40 PM

I think the mass marketing of the Bjorn is a good thing - anything to let people know there is an alternative to strollers!

I just personally think slings are more comfy and nicer all around, but hey - if you and your baby like the Bjorn then go for it!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#26 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 12:11 AM

i had a BB with my first DD. i LOVED It, she LOVED it. it was soo convienent! i nursed her all of the time in that thing she really liked facing out and i like the fact that i could kiss her head and get that thing off without waking her up. we now have a kissasling, a kozy carrier and an ergo and so i sold my baby bjorn. i still love wearing my kids on my front and being able to kiss the tops of their heads

definately baby wearing to me
#27 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 02:04 AM

Yes, of course it is still babywearing.

I think slings are better for most everything. But, for exercise/walking with baby, I found a sling (even a good one) just didn't cut it. Now, I know that there are wraps and other better two-shouldered carriers that are better than the Bjorn. But I didn't know that when my son was smaller, and I really liked the Bjorn for going walking.

I know some people talk like they are horrible, but I am just glad to see women out there wearing their babies.
#28 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
I know some people talk like they are horrible, but I am just glad to see women out there wearing their babies.
I totally agree! I saw a woman at the park with her two kids, a 3 or so year old and I'd say a 9 month old. The 9 month old was in a stroller, so occasionally mom had to walk away and leave him there, or stay in one place and yell to the 3 year old from far away. I kept thinking how much easier her life would be with some kid of carrier!
#29 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 03:28 AM

I like the sling better

but my baby has reflux

so he likes the bjorn better so he remains upright
#30 of 38 Old 05-02-2004, 03:30 AM

oh, he's one month old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page