How long can you do a one-shoulder carry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed several people mention that they can't do one-shoulder carries anymore with their babies after X point--baby is a certain age, weight, etc. I'm just wondering if most people feel this way?

I'm not in good shape by any means, but I have no problem using an unpadded ring sling for hip carrying my toddlers when we are out. I have an EBMT but I use it mainly outside for short walks and such (my kids are not really used to it). And I guess I've just used my sling so much that it's just easier and quicker for me when we're out. My middle ds will be 3 in a month, and while he's small for his age, he still weighs at least 30 lbs. Saturday we went to an arts festival downtown and I had him on my hip in the MW for about 2 hours. Admittedly, my shoulder hurt toward the end, but I still found it far preferable to trying to carry him without the sling. (It was a badly timed outing and he was tired and grumpy and missing his nap, and my 20 mo dd is very territorial about the umbrella stroller ). I saw tons of moms with toddlers sleeping heavily on their shoulders who were very envious of my sling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2004, 03:24 PM

The past few months I've rarely reached for a sling or pouch. I usually go for my wraps, Ergo or Kozy depending on circumstance and how long I will be carrying Fallon around. Lately I've started pulling out some of the slings and pouches again just for variety. (I've also gotten some really cool new ones to play with this past month!) I can do a half hour with no problem, and I imagine I could do longer if I wanted to. But I just don't think it's good for my body to carry around 25lbs with uneven weight distribution, so I don't push myself to the limits. I figure why bother when I have access to lots of wonderful carriers that will be kinder to my back.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
Old 05-01-2004, 05:53 PM

I still often use the pouch for my DS (15 months, 23 lbs.). I'll tend to use a pouch for errands when there's more in-and-out; and the kozy for walks or longer trips.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:38 PM

It wasn't until my DD passed 20 lbs that I started noticing it getting harder. We also bought a stroller at that time, so I think part of it was also losing my "sling fitness" from not doing it as often.

I have never used a two-shoulder or wrap carrier, so I don't know if they are more comfortable. Thing is, my DD is walking now and rarely needs or wants to be carried. When I do use my Maya sling, it's to sling her through the grocery store b/c she has fallen asleep on the way there.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 05-01-2004, 11:38 PM

I could carry my boy in a sling for about 2 months, then it was really uncomfortable for long periods of time. But now that he's got some head control and can perch on my hip (at 4.5 months) I'm finding the one-shouldered sling more comfortable again...but only when he's awake and 'helping out' so to speak. When he is dead weight, I get really sore, right between my shoulder blades.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:14 PM

I carry dd in the hip carry in a Maya Wrap, and she is 27 months/34 lbs. AND I am in my second trimester of pregnancy. I do it for short durations...up to 40 minutes and then I need a break.

I think Piglet hit the nail on the head....you gotta stay in practice. :LOL As your baby grows, you get stronger from carrying them...if you were to stop at 15 lbs, and ten start again when your child is 23 lbs, I am sure it would seem very difficult.

I am going to stop slinging dd soon (because I am starting to get a bit winded carrying her and my pregnant belly) and I doubt if I will start again after the baby is born. I just think she will be too heavy for me then...

User Tag List