Can I babywear while pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-01-2004, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone figured out a comfortable way to wear a toddler while you're pregnant? I have a 25 pound 18-month-old, and am 3 months pg. My belly is already getting huge. I have a WAHM-made pouch carrier that won't fit me anymore because of my belly. I also have an OTSBH. I'm afraid to try it because I'm afraid of hurting my already-sore-back. I figured I'd check here first and see if it's a common thing for pg moms to do, before I even attempt it! If it's okay to do so, will someone explain to me how to wear my dd on my back with the OTSBH? I think wearing her in front would put too much strain on my back. Can anyone help? Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 05-01-2004, 06:50 PM

I have an OTSBH so I figured I'd do some research for ya. I just tried it right now and found that the back carry was impossible. It smooshed my sore bbs too much and I couldn't move my right arm. So I pushed more of the shoulder up on top of my shoulder, but then she was hanging too low and that hurt my back. The most comfy by far is just having her on my hip with her front leg up on top of my belly.

It was kindof fun because it is such a SNUGGLY sling and today is a chilly day here in Dallas (believe it or not, it's 54 degrees!). But dang, those rings just keep slippin' and slippin' and I can't wear her very long before I am in pain everywhere.

Could you possibly spring for an unpadded ring sling? I have one that I made in lightweight cotton with nylon rings. The rings don't slip at all and I can hold DD pretty comfortably on my hip in it. Here's a good WAHM one:

http://tentoes.com/Merchant2/merchan...uct_Code=sling

or this one:

http://www.prettymommasling.com/store/

By the way, I am 7 months preggo, DD is 2.5 and 32ish lbs.
#3 of 5 Old 05-01-2004, 07:57 PM

As long are you aren't on pregnancy restrictions you can use slings. Since you're already showing a hip carry may be a bit hard. To go into a back carry, put the child in a hip carry and lean slightly forward, then move the sling and baby to your back. I don't have either my padded sling or my dd with me right now to try it myself, but that is how I've done it with my unpadded pouch.

If that is too hard, you may want to invest in a wrap that you can wear over both shoulders which will help distribute the weight over the entire body and not just your shoulder or back.

A wrap can also be used later in pregnancy as a pregnancy belt to help with the weight of your stomach.

It can also be used in labour to help with pushing, positioning the baby, support and relaxation.
#4 of 5 Old 05-02-2004, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF
If that is too hard, you may want to invest in a wrap that you can wear over both shoulders which will help distribute the weight over the entire body and not just your shoulder or back.
Can you suggest one (or a few?). Thanks!
#5 of 5 Old 05-02-2004, 01:03 PM

The only ones I have used are ones I make. You would probably want a woven one instead of a stretch. The stretch ones need to be tied tighter and would probably be uncomfortable with a pg belly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page