tips/tricks/help for slinging huge baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having so much trouble still trying to sling my 5 month old. Part of it is figuring out my slings, I have a rebozo, one of the shorter ones, and a maya wrap. My other problem seems to be my babes size-he is not quite 5 months and weighs in at close to 25lb. This means that if I don't have everything just right I really feel it.

He never liked a cradle carry, hated even being held that way. He might go for it now for naps but he's so long. Him sideways is much longer than I am wide, if that makes sense. So we move on to a newborn upright position.

That he liked and I liked the rebozo for it because once I got the knot in the right spot I just never untied it, lol. It would probably still work to help him sleep sometimes but where he's so heavy I don't really feel secure with it, plus his height means that even with his head quite high his feet are brushing the middle if my thighs making it awkward for me to move around much and sitting is totally out of the question.

We've tried forward facing and having him on my side with his feet still inside pointing to my front. Both of these positions feel so weird to me, having that bulk at my belly. Again, I don't feel comfortable moving around or anything.

Lately we've had some mild success with a hip carry but I worry that it might be bad for his development somehow, as it seems most people don't recomend it until 6mo or so? He seems fine with it and sits up well but I'm unsure.

So now on to my sling specific issues.
For the rebozo:
First, I have loads of trouble tying it tight enough. It always loosens up between the first knot and the second (making double knot) so I end up estimating the spot for it with baby in, take him out, make it a bit tighter than it seems I'll need, and then positioning ds.
My other problem is getting the rails tight enough. Is there a trick to pulling them tight enough while making the knot or does it just take more practice? I try but it seems they are always saggy.

And the maya:
Oh my.
And I do have the video and have watched it, and will make it a point to go through it again with both sling and baby close by.
Ok, I know I need to rethread it and practice doing that.
I can't seem to figure out this ring business. They need to be high up, above the breast. Just below the shoulder. I've heard 3 inches from top of shoulder. Ok, but they seem to take up a bit of space, y/k? If I position them so the top of the top ring is at the top of my shoulder the bottom of the ring area is still pressing into the top of my breast. Not uncomfortable so I don't worry about that but when it comes to rings all I've seen for advice is higher!higher!. Any higher and they'll be behind me.
I have trouble pulling the rails tight, particularly when he's already in. It seems to draw the rest of the fabric with it.
And I have trouble adjusting the fabric at all throught he rings. I absolutely cannot do it one-handed without the rings ending up at my belly and the baby totally out of position. Up and out my butt, the rings still slide. I don't really mind using both hands, one to steady the rings and one to pull the tail, but I know this is supposedly the wrong way.

So that's my book, thanks for reading. I'm sure there are more minor problems but this is everything I can think of right now and I seem to have written plenty.
I would so appreciate any help/ideas/insight you could give. Maybe I should get one of those long stretchy wraps? Would that be any easier for me you think?

And can I just say I am so grateful that when I decided to finally beg for help I knew exactly where to go?

-Sarah
#2 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNH
I have trouble pulling the rails tight, particularly when he's already in. It seems to draw the rest of the fabric with it.
And I have trouble adjusting the fabric at all throught he rings. I absolutely cannot do it one-handed without the rings ending up at my belly and the baby totally out of position. Up and out my butt, the rings still slide. I don't really mind using both hands, one to steady the rings and one to pull the tail, but I know this is supposedly the wrong way.
I don't have a Maya, but I do have a Zolo which is another kind of ring sling. Try holding your DS in the sling under his bum to take the weight off the sling. With the other hand tighten the rails. the fabric should move through the rings and you can get him tight enough without the rings creeping forward. Does that make sense?

Here is a link for all ring slings and here are some tips for Maya specifically.

HTH
#3 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 04:21 PM

Have you tried a back carry with the rebozo? It is fairly simple to do and since you are leaning forward to tie it, it is easy to get it really tight. Have you tried a square knot instead of the double knot? right over left & under, left over right & under

when I use a ring sling, I have the rings resting on the top of my shoulder. I put the baby in and if I need to put the rings back up on the top of my shoulder. I hold the baby under the bum and pull the rings out and to the side. If the top rail does not seem tight enough I lift her a bit and pull again, or just pull the top rail through the rings and pull it tighter that way. I can't remember if a Maya is padded or not, if it is that could be part of the problem. I had a harder time getting the padded OTSBH tight than I do with the Wise Woman unpadded sling.

I like my stretch wrap better for when she's sleeping because I pull the top over her head to keep it from bopping around as I walk.
#4 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

For the maya (it's unpadded btw) I definitely need to rethread it so I'll work on that and try the tips once I wash it and get the lint off. Brilliant me decided the solid black would not clash with any of my clothes, lol, not thinking that spit-up is white, and we have cat hair and dust everywhere, so now the thing is covered.

Now, is 5mo old enough for a back carry? I guess I though they had to be older. He's so squirmy the idea makes me nervous, but I guess if I get him tight enough he can't really go anywhere.

And I'll try the sqare knot too. My husband is home today and we're heading to the store so I'll get him to help me out.

So it seems like normal learning to sling issues then, and not the size of the baby? I guess it's just hard because he never was small enough to give me a nice learning curve.

Thanks for the ideas and please, I'm definitely open to more suggestions!

-Sarah
#5 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi Sarah,

I also had a huge baby - close to that weight at 5 months if I remember. I couldn't follow all of your descriptions (too tired really, lol!) but if you want to pm me your email I can send you a couple of pics of how I slung my dd at that age, in 2 kinds of slings.

Everyone thought I was nuts to carry a heavy baby, made cracks about how she should be carrying me, etc, but we were happy doing it!

mamabutterfly

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#6 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mamabutterfly, thanks for the offer of pics. Maybe seeing another big baby will help me figure out how he should look. I sent you my e-mail addy.

Well I just used the rebozo at hell-mart and it went ok. It took two of us to get the knot in the right place before we left and when we got in dh helped me get him situated again. It worked and was definitely easier than carrying him in arms, but he still felt a little sway-ish, if that makes sense. I've still got to figure out how to tighten those rails, especially the top one. It seems to slide out while we're tying the knot.

Anyway I'm going to go wash the maya now and tomorow get out that video again and practice threading and rethreading until I feel more comfortable with that, then work on actually using it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

-Sarah
#7 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 10:03 PM

http://womens-place.com/~NaturalBles...lingclass.html

On the left side, the top pic is my 22lb dd in a back carry with a 3M wrap. The bottom pic is my 22lb dd in a back carry with an unpadded ring sling. They're not the best pics and the one on top I can scan and see if I can get it better. My dd is 2 in the pics but she's around the same weight.
#8 of 9 Old 05-02-2004, 10:03 PM

Quote:
...plus his height means that even with his head quite high his feet are brushing the middle if my thighs making it awkward for me to move around much and sitting is totally out of the question.
Try positioning him in more of a seated position, with his thighs parallel to the ground, knees a little higher than his bum. If he's seated this way his feet really shouldn't be anywhere near your thighs, but rather more stradled around your waist. This will make a big difference to your mobility, and help with weight distribution by putting some of the load on your hips.

Also, at that weight a carrier that distributes the weight over both shoulders would probably be more comfortable for you. When my daughter hit about 20 lbs I started carrying her in two slings or a wrap and she felt pounds lighter.

If it's any consolation, they actually start to feel lighter again as they get a little older and start to cling and help out a little more. It's the strangest thing... my 17 month old 25 lber feels much lighter than she did at 6 mos and 20 lbs.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#9 of 9 Old 05-03-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToFallon
If it's any consolation, they actually start to feel lighter again as they get a little older and start to cling and help out a little more. It's the strangest thing... my 17 month old 25 lber feels much lighter than she did at 6 mos and 20 lbs.
I agree! My ds is 12 mo. and I can't believe how aware I used to be of his weight. Now I only really notice it if we go for a long walk (I generally switch between the Maya and the Ergo on long walks now.)

My recommendations are: 1. Try to relax! And 2. Just go out and don't bring anything with you except the sling. That's how I got good at my Maya Wrap - I didn't have a choice!

I think 5 mo. is a fine time to be doing hip carry or back carry (with the sling or a Didymos or whatever.)

MisfitMama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page