Sling Playdate pics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are a few pics from yesterday when I had a little sling playdate here with a few friends. My friend Stacey took the pics, and since it was her 3 week old newborn I was "borrowing," she tended to focus the camera on him and me.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAM2jhm3ZtWb5o

The stretchy "mini wrap" with the doll is something I was playing around with. I ordered some fabric that came in a "tubular" shape instead of flat, so I cut a wide strip of it and put it on like a wrap without the ties. It worked great, but in the pic of the back I should have had the fabric spread out more. Also, this is a 1x1 rib, which is really too stretchy, but I got some interlock that came the same way and I think it would work well.

The paisley ABC I'm wearing is my new custom Kozy. The tan and black is my EBMT, as is the elephant print the other mom was wearing.

At one point a panicked mom came in with a malfunctioning breastpump, so she took some "action shots" of me checking out the problem, lol.
#2 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 01:07 PM

what's a sling playdate?
#3 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here it's mostly when my friend Alison, who owns literally one of every single sling there is, and then some, brings a bunch of stuff up here and we get out one of ecerything I carry here, and we invite friends to come and try out different slings and carriers. One night she brought all of her slings here and we had a demo. I have pics but I'm having trouble sizing them and they're huge. I will try to get more of them up. But anyone can do it if you just get together some mamas who each have a different sling or carrier.
#4 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 01:19 PM

Great pictures!

Isn't it wonderful to have friends IRL that sling too? I'm part of a babywearing playgroup and we've got over 20 members. In a way, because most of my friends wear their babies, it feels like the whole World does!
#5 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 02:20 PM

Wow - your EBMT and kozy are both beautiful!
#6 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 02:21 PM

Great pics! The ABC look awesome!! Can you have too many kozy's or EBMTs?? I'll have to think on that!

I think the sling that you were testing woth the doll looks very interesting. Let us know if it works with the less stretchy fabric and a real baby
#7 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 03:24 PM

what a great idea! every new mom should get such a demo!!
#8 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Loving that ebmt.
#9 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

yep, I love my Kozy and my EBMT. The whole time I had that sweet little bug in the EBMT I kept rubbing that soft, yummy microsuede over the little lump he made. It was lovely! Not enough to make me want a fourth, though, lol!

We always have fun when we do this.

As for my little miniwrap, the thing is the size. It comes in a tubal shape that is pretty large, so for very thin mamas it wouldn't work. I would say if you are a size 10 or bigger, the interlock should work and not be any stretchier than something like a Moby wrap. It just has to fit snug enough, KWIM. I got it at www.wadoozle.com and it noted "tubular" on the discription. It was cheap, too. Also, if you get a wide enough strip and fold it over like a regular pouch, that controls the stretch some. But we put Alison's chunky 1 yo in it, and she is a thinner Mom, and he was down at her thighs, lol. That was in the rib knit, though, too, which is at least 70% more stretchy than interlock would be. If you think it might work for you I'd say it's worth the $7 bucks or so to try it. I just put it on like a pouch, which left a lot hanging down. I took what was hanging, twisted it once at the waist and brought the loop that created back over my head to my waist, so it looked like a cross hip carry with a wrap. Then I brought my other hand (where the fabric weas not already on my shoulder) under the part at my waist and brought it up to my shoulder. Sounds complicated but it was really just common sense when I was doing it.
#10 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 05:36 PM

Hmm, I want to try the tube!
#11 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, it's www.wazoodle.com
You might check www.fabric.com too.
#12 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 06:08 PM

I wanna come over! You have SO many slings I haven't seen!
#13 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I wanna come over! You have SO many slings I haven't seen!
Oh my goodness, wait til you see this woman's insane collection. I'm putting a few pics from the demo night on photobucket right now.
#14 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

#15 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 11:09 PM

WOW!!!!! Amazing pics, amazing carriers! Maybe I have to make a trip to TN!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#16 of 26 Old 05-21-2004, 11:49 PM

WOW! Those are some awesome pictures! I wanna come to a sling playdate too! I'm up in Nashville - it wouldn't be that terrible of a drive for me! Hmmmm... LOL
#17 of 26 Old 05-22-2004, 12:38 AM

I can't believe her insane collection!!! Puts me to shame!

It's been 2 years since I've used slings (Maya Wrap & OTSBH) and I really don't know what

EMBT, Kozy, etc are...

I'm interested in the black strap, beige one your friend has (with her baby's eyes peeking ou). What brand is that? Who sells it?

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like a lot of fun!!!! Where does she keep it all?

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#18 of 26 Old 05-22-2004, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Tanya! That's me wearin my friend's babe in my Equinimity baby Mei Tai. It's tan microsuede with little embroidered flowers and reverses to black.The shoulder straps are very long and come across your back (or front or as backpack straps on the front), under baby's bum, and back around your waist. That and the blue paisley Kozy Carrier I'm wearing in these pics are both examples of ABC (Asian Baby Carriers) that are very poipular right now. But you know, I am still a MW girl at heart and I wear that more than anything else as a hip carrier for my toddlers.

Yes, Alison has sooo many beautiful and neat slings and carriers. She works for peppermint.com answering emails and tests slings a lot for people. She also has some of them made (she has an incredible silk sling collection she's had made) and buys odd things off ebay. She brought all of them that night but she usually just brings specific things people want to try. her ds is the most cooperative sling testing baby ever!
#19 of 26 Old 05-22-2004, 02:55 PM

omg, i thought i died and went to bw heaven!!!

nak

must start bw group!!!!
#20 of 26 Old 05-26-2004, 02:13 PM

Tupelo Honey, great pictures! I'm really intrigued by your mini wrap! Canyou tell me, how wide was the tubular fabric? I'd really like to try something like that with some fabric I have on hand--not tubular, but I can seam it.

TIA!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#21 of 26 Old 05-26-2004, 02:23 PM

What a collection!!!! You would need a walk-in closet just for the slings!!! :LOL

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#22 of 26 Old 05-26-2004, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Do you mean how wide was the circumfrance of the tube, or how wide was the band I cut? I cut it 24 inches I think, so it would be deep enough to form a pouch when I flipped the shoulder up from my elbow. I'm not sure about the circumfrance of the tube. I would wrap it around yourself snugly, like you would a wrap, and mark it to know where to make the seam, allowing just a few inches for the twist in the back. Mine was really a bit too large.
#23 of 26 Old 05-26-2004, 04:56 PM

Holy sling!!! : wow I'm uber jealous of that collection. I have one lonely sling I made out of a bedsheet and mydd is finally liking it. I would love to try other's but money's tight for a little while. Can I come drool over those, just or a short visit? I don't bite and I don't eat much :LOL
#24 of 26 Old 05-26-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, come on over!
A very inexpensive way to make a very pretty sling is to make a no-sew ring sling. You can find instructions on www.sleepingbaby.net under "Baby Crafts." All you need is a pair of rings (cheap enough at www.slingrings.com) and a pretty strip of fabric. It's great too because you can try out all the different shoulder styles: hotdog style (like Zolo and TMT), fold the edges in toward the middle until they meet, then repeat until you have a narrow enough strip to thread through the rings (smooth top, underneath looks sorta like a hotdog bun); accordian style (like Maya Wrap) where you fold the edges back and forth like an accordian; fan style (like MamaBaby, works really well with interlock) where all the fabric is just gathered and evenly spread above the rings, or Rev Jan's pleated shoulder, which you can find on the same site with the no-sew instructions.
#25 of 26 Old 05-27-2004, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Honey
Do you mean how wide was the circumfrance of the tube, or how wide was the band I cut? I cut it 24 inches I think, so it would be deep enough to form a pouch when I flipped the shoulder up from my elbow. I'm not sure about the circumfrance of the tube. I would wrap it around yourself snugly, like you would a wrap, and mark it to know where to make the seam, allowing just a few inches for the twist in the back. Mine was really a bit too large.

Well actually, I meant how wide was the circumference (or diameter) of the tube....but this is helpful; I may be able to figure it out! I'd already tried a no-sew version of "Rev. Jan's" ring wrap, but I found that the rings are uncomfortable, digging into my back when I sit. This peice of material isn't quite long enough for a regular wrap, so the mini wrap might be perfect! If not, I'll cut it and make two (or three!) pouches! Thanks for responding!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#26 of 26 Old 05-27-2004, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, two very snug fitting stretchy pouches will give you a lot of the wrap positions. I'm actually working on testers for something like this right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page