UPDATE: I'm selling my $%^$&$% sling! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kaylee: Been there! Most of the moms I know that sling, all have a collection of slings and carriers. I know it's frustrating. For me, my ds was a hands on kind of guy - meaning he had to be held ALL THE TIME and MOVING. It really drove my out of my mind. Anywaaaay, I had to sling him. I couldn't hold him in arms all the time and the sling gave me free hands. So for us, it was preservation. It didn't work at first. But I perservered and we eventually got the hang of it and my ds stopped crying when he went in it. It was either that or I would HAVE to put him down while he cried while I did things like laundry, dishes and dinner - stuff you HAVE to do.

What I do, is I buy them off ebay and then sell them on ebay when they don't work out. I bought a maya wrap on ebay for $20 plus shipping. I didn't like it and I sold it for $24 plus shipping! I didn't try to make money on it - but slings are hot items there - at least in my experience. I also know that they have a trading place here at MDC as well.

I agree with the others who recommended the pouch. I used the new native carrier pouch -- although ds and I made up our own position - we just kept fiddling with it until we got comfortable. The pouch helped us both get used to the whole sling thing. I used the pouch for about 5 months. Now I use the Nojo over the shoulder type sling. I love it.

Good luck!
#32 of 37 Old 05-27-2004, 02:31 PM

ok my baby rode in the bjorn or my arms until she was 5 months. We just didn't get the sling. She didn't like the cradle hold, I was afraid she'd fall out with the one with her chest against mine and then wham -- we got the one where she sits facing out.

Sometimes it take a bit to figure it out. I consider you lucky -- I have one friend with a sling! OTSBH which I hate!

Try LLL meetings or the like to find others with slings you can try out.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#33 of 37 Old 06-12-2004, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ok for those of you that recommended a pouch...thank you so much. I was offered a loaner hot sling and recieved it two days ago, and it's so much easier to get Audrey in. I wouldn't say she's necessarily used to the idea yet but, she nurses super easy in it, and will fall asleep super easy as well. Anyway, my only issues with it are restricted arm use with the side that the sling is on. And, pretty much we can only do cradle hold at this point. Tummy to tummy is impossible with a non-adjustable sling because of the slack that needs to be tight to accommodate neck/head support. But, it's totally working for us.

I've had so many great suggestions here on this thread. And, I received numerous offers for help through pm's and such and I'm so grateful. I still haven't given up the fact that the Zolo isn't going to work. I have a call into Darien and am waiting to hear back from her for some tips. She said that when she first started slinging she had to call the manufacturer! Imagine that. Now she's the maker of Zolo's! But, I'm giving it another week. I need to iron it. I know that sounds strange, but the serged edge is like completely creased now and never is straight, it always folds over even when the thread is unthreaded.

Anyway, just wanted to updat you guys and I'll keep you posted on my progress.
#34 of 37 Old 06-12-2004, 09:19 AM

I'm so glad the pouch is workign for you. I didn't find the cradle position "hands-free" either; but it started being more so in kangaroo carry, and it's now totally hands free that DS is on my hip. Just keep experimenting and I am sure it'll get better.

If the hotsling is just a loaner and you want one, you need to order it soon (they are around $25) - Kristen is going on maternity leave in a few weeks!
#35 of 37 Old 06-12-2004, 12:37 PM

That's great that the pouch is working for you! A tip on tightening the outer rail of the pouch for upright carries (Oh no! Not more tips, lol!): Start with all of the sling on top of your shoulder rather than capping it. Then slide your fingers under the outer rail from where the baby is up to your shoulder, and pull *just* the outer rail edge down and across so that it caps your shoulder. AKA a shoulder flip! It works great. Alternatively, you can flip the whole shoulder inside-out before putting the baby in the sling. To limit arm restriction in the cradle carry, fold the shouler under before putting the babe in to make it more narrow. HTH!
#36 of 37 Old 06-12-2004, 04:22 PM

That's great, Kaylee! I love my fleece pouch, and ordered a hotsling the other day, for now, pouches work for me (although I'm still dying for a Zolo...let us know the tips you get!)! :LOL:

:Loving my family!
#37 of 37 Old 06-14-2004, 02:49 AM

Actually Kaylee, I think the :bf smiley is wearing a pouch...LOL...I don't see any rings.

For what it's worth, I carried my dd in a snuglee and a Bjorn for the first 6 months until I figured out my pseudo-MW. Now (dd is 2) I can use a MW, an OTSBH (but it is bulky) and my current FAVORITE, a podeagi. There is a pretty big learning curve associated with baby-wearing, I have discovered.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page