Help! What carrier should I buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've poked around on this forum a couple of times. I just can't seem to decide what carrier I need next. I would love to have them all, but $$ is tight around here so I'm looking at purchasing just one. My dd is 9 mo. (~17lbs) and has pretty much grown up in her Maya sling, which both my dh and I love. However, it is getting pretty hard for me to do housework and other stuff with it. I'm looking for something that I can wear on my back (and maybe in the front too); She tends to nap when I'm wearing her so it has to be something she can nap in comfortably. Ideally, if it can be worn in the front, she could nurse in it. Is what I am talking about an Ergo?? Any suggestions would be really, really appreciated. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 01:34 PM

I would recommend an Asian baby Carrier, like the Mei Tai.

You can find the basic Mei Tai at this link http://store.peppermint.com/mei-tai-baby-carrier.html

Or an "Americanized"version called the Ergo with buckles at http://www.ergocarrier.com/

Or some other mei Tai type carriers:

www.equaminitybaby.com
www.kozycarrier.com
www.freewebs.com/freehand/

Or maybe a wrap?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:44 PM

Ergos are not really good for front carries since they changed the straps to backpack style. I second the ABC recommendation. The Kozy is super popular, but the wait is about a month so get on the list quick if that's what you're wanting. The EBMT is very nice but also has a long wait right now. The Freehand Mei Tai has been getting a lot of good reviews around here, and I think she's pretty quick. The basic MT on Peppermint right now is not really good for heavier babies (rec for under 20 lbs), but she is having new ones made that are being hand embroidered by Hmong women that are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Not sure when they'll be available.
Here is another ABC very similar to the Kozy I think and it has an optional hood.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:51 AM

Oh, thank you to Tupelo for mentioning that the Ergo is not as good for front carrying. I am trying to decide and order something, already, but I've been extremely indecisive. I guess I should start my own thread 'cause I don't want to drift. AliciaO, I hope you are happy with whatever you decide!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:22 AM

The Kozy is wonderful! Get on the list, the wait goes by pretty fast!
The Ergo is much to backpacky. Too many clips and thing to fool with. Plus the stiff canvas cut into the back of my little ones legs. : ...and the straps make even the smallest chest look ridiculous, and I am not the smallest chest! :LOL

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 AM

oh, dear. ridiculous is not the effect I was hoping to acheive.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:33 PM

If you're wanting to wear it for an extended period on your back while doing lots of physical stuff, I'd say get a Baby Trekker. I got mine used on MDC's Trading Post for around $50. (Actually, it was an early Christmas present from my mother!)

If you're an expert babywearer, you could try a wrap style carrier like the Moby Wrap or EllaRoo. The Moby is the most affordable, but I will admit I haven't been able to get my 16 month old on my back yet. We haven't practiced more than a couple times, though. If you're very determined, I think you could get it. The stretchy fabric should allow you to work without having fabric digging into you and your dd should be able to nap nicely.

If you decide you want an EllaRoo (like a Moby but without the stretch), but don't want to spend that kind of cash, look into the Piggy Wrap n' Tie sling at www.piggyslings.com. I have a ring sling from her and we still use and love it.

HTH
Old 06-02-2004, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you trued her on your back in the Maya Wrap? My dd is 9 months too, and that's what I do when I need to get housework done.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 06-09-2004, 07:30 PM

Just wanted to add that the Ergo works great for us in a front carry. Just used it on a cross country trip, it really saved us in the airport, didnt need to lug a stroller. My ds is about 23 lbs right now.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:50 AM

I use my Kozy every day for housework...another poster was right..the wait does go by very fast...my second Kozy well sorry....LOL my "dh's Kozy" is enroute to us now...I cannot recommend this carrier enough...really its all I use now most days.

You will love it!!!! I would suggest just going and putting your name on the list...even if you got it and did not like it...there would be MANY salivating womyn waiting to buy it from you!!! LOL

User Tag List