Stroller poll! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you use a stroller?
Never! 18 14.17%
We use it as much as we babywear 39 30.71%
We use it more than we babywear 20 15.75%
Other 50 39.37%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do use a stroller at times, but babywear more.
#32 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 05:38 PM

I have a few strollers too. (4) I think with the first baby you could live without a stroller but when you have a 2 year old and a newborn, diaper bag. There is just no way to do without one. I have a 1 double, one double/single, single and an unbrella stroller. But I also have 5 slings. LOL I collect things I guess.

Its called a car seat not a bucket.
#33 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 03:19 AM

i call it a bucket because she didn't mind her carseat, a rear facing britax, but hated the buckets that come with those travel systems. we didn't use it as a carseat, so i'm not going to call it one.
#34 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel3612
Its called a car seat not a bucket.
That's just a tongue-in-cheek expression we like to use around here. I called mine a bucket, too.

Well, I didn't vote b/c our situation changed alot with age.

For the first 8 months of DD's life, we didn't own a stroller. She went everywhere in the sling.

We bought a Peg Perego when she began to get a bit heavy combined with parcels, etc. It did come in handy when out shopping on foot - we lived at the top of a long road with lots of stores, so going home all steeply uphill with packages/groceries, and a slung babe was getting to be too much. So for a while, we used them about equally, depending on the situation.

Now that DD walks we use both rarely. Probably the stroller more for trips to the zoo, etc. She's too big for me to sling for long periods of time, since I'm not in "sling shape" anymore plus I'm pregnant. I rarely sling her since she prefers to walk, but I do occasionally, like if she falls asleep in the car on the way to the grocery store I'll sling her so she can keep napping. Or if we are in a crowded area (like a recent street fair we went to) where a stroller would be a real pain, I'll also sling her.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#35 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 PM

well, i'll admit it. these days i use the stroller more then babywearing. My son is 10mos and about 22lbs and I had gallbladder surgery last week. I coudln't carry him at all till just yesterday without thinking i was going to pull stitches.

I have a jeep cherokee stroller and he loves the steering wheel. I have a buggy board on back for big sister to hop on and off of which she loves. We have the double jeep for the zoo and other huge events.

I do use the sling when not recovering from surgery to carry him when we're out and he's not happy in the stroller, shopping cart etc. But i'll admit it - we've been using the stroller more then the carriers lately.

That said - i have a sarahs ride coming in the mail any day now and i'm hoping that we'll both enjoy the way that feels - he's a "on my hip" kinda boy. Then i can wear him more
#36 of 46 Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 PM

I know its just a tounge in cheek thing but it still irrates me that people give such a degrading name to something that will save your childs life. I am a CPS tech so I know what happens when people do not use car seats correctly. I have never heard of someone who calls it such a degrading name like a bucket to actually use it correctly. I have known people in real life that call it that too so its not just people online.

I am a CPS tech so to me a car seat is way more important than a sling or stroller.
#37 of 46 Old 06-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned

we don't own a stroller. she's been in one once, and that was when some friends of ours insisted we take their stroller. we pushed her home in it, then put it in the garage and recently gave it back.

i just like wearing her.
#38 of 46 Old 06-04-2004, 04:41 PM

We usually keep our stroller in the car "just in case" but I wear dd more than she strolls...she prefers to be at "people level" looking out at the exciting world around her.
#39 of 46 Old 06-06-2004, 01:45 PM

We use the stroller now exclusively if dd is somewhere she cannot walk.

But that's only because I am 22 weeks pregnant, and she weighs 35 lbs, and I just cannot sling her anymore. She asks to ride in the sling whenever I get out the stroller, but I just have to tell her no....I can only go a few yards with her in it, and I am pooped and winded. Last time I tried, I had a lot of BH contractions, and figured I better lay off. She seems to be really bummed about it. It's kinda sad.
#40 of 46 Old 06-06-2004, 06:20 PM

We bought a travel system when I was pregnant but never used the stroller at all until Fallon was about six months old. (Well, she was in it a couple of times just to see how she liked it - not much.) From about 10-15 months she wasn't in it at all as I stuck it in storage to get it out of my way for the winter. Now at 18 months I give her the choice, and some days she asks for the stroller, some days for my back, others for a sling on front. When we do go out for a walk with the stroller she lasts about 30-45 minutes tops, at which point she ends up in a carrier of some sort. Honestly I could have lived without a stroller, and if I knew then what I know now I likely wouldn't have ever bought one. BUT... it comes in very handy when I have a lot of packages to take to the post office. :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebabies
I currently use the moby wrap and sometimes feel like it slips a bit and DS drops down. Not falls but just sinks too low. THen I have to take the whole thing off and redo it.
OT I know, but thought I'd throw out a tip anyway. If this is happening to you then you likely need to start with it tighter. Tie it really snug to begin with; just enough room to get him in there. He'll drop a little within about five minutes, and after that he shouldn't drop much more. Definitely not to the point where you need to take him out and start over.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#41 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 01:44 AM

I have to say! lately my 2 year old son is just adoring walks in the stroller...hes quite comical we have a nice double so both babies face each other, very adorable to watch them interact, however I always have a carrier or two stashed in there somewhere because you never know when one or both will need to be carried! but its ultra handy to take to the park with all our stuff in the basket! LOL

I also have a few prams I use..they are really high up and the baby can see everything you do! really its all about moderation and practicality, insn't everything?

I think carsets as another poster wrote above are equally important, and I have to say I dont use mine much at all for a form of transport for my baby tho! sometimes if she is asleep I will carry her in somewhere in it..other than that its in the car alot!

I think we tend to sling more than use our double peg/ english pram but really they each have their unique benefits I am glad I have all my slings and my strollers as a matter of fact! LOL
#42 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 02:06 AM

we live in a city and use the stroller often for walks that are longer than a few blocks. ds is 38lbs now so too heavy to carry everywhere, and too young to walk miles!
#43 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel3612
I know its just a tounge in cheek thing but it still irrates me that people give such a degrading name to something that will save your childs life. I am a CPS tech so I know what happens when people do not use car seats correctly. I have never heard of someone who calls it such a degrading name like a bucket to actually use it correctly. I have known people in real life that call it that too so its not just people online.

I am a CPS tech so to me a car seat is way more important than a sling or stroller.
I call it a bucket when I see people carrying their babies in one swinging it inches from the floor and when we used one we most certainly DID use it correctly. I don't think there is a correlation between not believing it should be used as an artificial means to carry your baby and using it incorrectly.

Dana, I am LOL at your "unhealthy" stroller obsession. When I was researching the stroller I would go on to never use I came across a message board of stroller enthusiasts that is EXACTLY like the diapering board here... except instead of everyone having 30 wool soakers they all had 30 strollers. It was where I first learned of the Bugaboo Frog, probably the only stroller I would still buy could I afford it, sigh.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#44 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 12:50 PM

My stroller is mostly just to carry my bags when I'm shopping. Occassionally, when my 22mo dd gets too heavy and there is no one else to hold her she gets in. I love slinging my babe in public, it's worth the sore back, I get sore feet anyways!
#45 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 12:54 PM

We use a stroller, but nowhere near as much as we use our slings. DS (4 mos.) doesn't like to be in the stroller for long. I can count on one hand the times I've used it. Still I like to have it to use as a cart for the diaper bag and other paraphenalia!
#46 of 46 Old 06-07-2004, 01:17 PM

There wasn't a choice for me (we use it, ubt less than babywearing).

Strollers are good for me when I"m sick with asthma or a migraine, or if we are going out shopping. Carrying her is more convenient most of the time, but I do use a stroller when I'm dropping her off with dh when I"m heading to a job interview (don't want puke or poop on the suit).

Her babysitter wants to learn to sling, so I'm gonna make one to leave over there. Yippee!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page