Stroller poll! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use a stroller?
Never! 18 14.17%
We use it as much as we babywear 39 30.71%
We use it more than we babywear 20 15.75%
Other 50 39.37%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a stroller, I am not sure why, but as part of my nesting insanity I felt I just had to have one. I didn't use one with ds and I wasn't planning to use one with Stella, it was just one of those weird nesting things! We ended up buying a GORGEOUS Aprica pram/stroller. It really is very classy. I use it when we go to the mall to carry the packages and diaper and in a pinch I can change her diaper in it too. Other than that a stroller is a huge PITA to me. She has only ridden in it about 2 times and I just felt so uncomfortable with her way down there it was hardly worth it.

How about you?

Dang, I just realized I forgot to add the option: We babywear more than we use it so just use "Other" for that!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#2 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 PM

I have 2 strollers, down from4 from before I found babywearing. Our 2 are just 2 umbrella strollers. We got rid of our full size and double strollers. I rarely use it and when I do its because its a long day trip and our 3 year old is way to heavy to carry (45 lbs)

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 PM

I lusted after a MacLaren Techno when I was pregnant...it's sitting in the basement now with more than a year's dust on it. I haven't used it since dd was about six months old.

I can see it becoming more useful in a year or so. We live in a city and we walk everywhere, so I'm anticipating a gap between the end of her slinging days and the beginning of the time when she can do all of her own walking, and the stoller will be the thing to take up the slack.

-Kate
#4 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I voted "other" because I need the "yes, I use it less than I babywear". We don't drive often so we use a stroller to get recycling out and food home. DC gets in from time to time also. I didn't use a stroller at all, though, until DC was over 1.5 years.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 10:14 PM

We use the sling more than the stroller, though depending on the situation. I use the stroller for our weekly walks or walks to and from our play groups. The sling is just too much when we are out in the heat and getting excercise. Or when cloths shopping.

But now that DS can sit up pretty well, we put him in the cart when we go grocery shopping. I usually wear him for a little bit just to show off the sling then when we get into our hard core shopping I transfer him into the cart.
#6 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 10:19 PM

I voted that we use it as much as we babywear - but that's really not true. We probably babywear about 70% of the time and use the stroller about 30% - but now that the weather is getting so warm I'll be using the stroller a lot more outdoors. I absolutely : my stroller, and Isabella is always happy in it too - if she's not then she comes out immediately. I can't count the number of times we've been out somewhere and I've been wearing her in my Zolo while pushing the stroller! It sure is handy to keep bags and packages in though! LOL
#7 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 10:26 PM

Basically we have three systems of transport for our dd who is 2 years 7 months and 27 pounds.

I cycle everywhere so I have a Chariot Couger that can change from being a stroller to a bike carrier to a cross country ski pull.

We have a MEC backpack carrier and a sling that I found at a garage sale.

We use all three. The sling not as often but I still use it in busy crowds. The backpack fits in the chariot well so we go off on the bike then when we arrive at the destination dd hops in the backpack and we lock up the bike and chariot.

Lately though dd has expressed an interest in walking independant of me. She can actually walk about a mile and half now no problem. She is very aware of the destination so she stays on track. I am loving it becuase I can get groceries with her and fill up the chariot then walk home with her!
#8 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama
I voted "other" because I need the "yes, I use it less than I babywear".
Same here. I have a stroller, but I rarely use it. I used it a couple weeks ago when I went for a walk with my SMIL. She pushed my 5 year old while I wore the baby. I'm trying to get the 5 year old to actually get out and walk, but we went farther and faster that we could have with her walking, so I guess some good came out of it.
#9 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 PM

I have 3 strollers, I had 5 but I sold/gave away 2 the other three are burried in storage, Joe has been in a stroller 3 times. The first time he clutched the sides and screamed for me (it was at my moms) I think he felt like he was going to fall out, he wasn't close to mommy (or anyone) and he HATED that (he was about 6 months old at the time). The next time we tried it (again at mom's) he was a little over a year, he thought it was a fun amusment ride and wanted to go fast and spin a lot. LOL didn't like it much after about 3 mins though, would rather walk now. The last time he climbed in and wanted to 'spin' again (this was about a week ago) he loves to do and undo the clips in them, that keeps his attention the most, but if we say "go for a walk?" he goes and gets the sling and his shoes.....LOL
#10 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 11:05 PM

Right now I'm 6 1/2 months pg and ds is almost 3 and 30 lbs so I am not wearing him at all. Usually he will walk holding my hand or ride in a buggy but we still use the stroller too. When the baby comes I plan on wearing him and using the stroller for Billy, I just can't see myself chasing him with a little one.
#11 of 46 Old 05-28-2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaPia
I voted that we use it as much as we babywear - but that's really not true. We probably babywear about 70% of the time and use the stroller about 30% - but now that the weather is getting so warm I'll be using the stroller a lot more outdoors. I absolutely : my stroller, and Isabella is always happy in it too - if she's not then she comes out immediately. I can't count the number of times we've been out somewhere and I've been wearing her in my Zolo while pushing the stroller! It sure is handy to keep bags and packages in though! LOL
Well, Mia, you have a great stroller.

i had to unfortunately give up babywearing, so I use my stroller a lot more often. i herniated a disc in my lumbar spine during ds's delivery, and just couldn't physically wear him anymore. I LOVED the time that I did though.

Mandy
#12 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 12:18 AM

I discovered the sling when pregnant with #2, and have since then definitely carried my babies more than used a stroller. For baby #4, the only stroller I have is a very expensive jog stoller, which I absolutely love. I run with her a couple times a week. She loves to go for a run, and when I put her in will get busy pulling the straps over her shoulders. My middle 2 kids come along on their bikes, usually. It's quite a workout - pushing the baby and yelling back and forth with the other kids!
I used to have a biggish stroller that I got as a shower gift with #1. He never cared for it much, and mostly was carried in the a snugli. It was great, though, for things like zoo trips when my middle 2 were preschoolers. They could run as long as they felt like, and then climb in together to be pushed if they were tired. Unfortunately, I bent the wheel axles letting those heavy kids ride in it! We decided it wasn't worth getting another one for baby #4 since one of us can usually carry her. It was more useful with the middle 2 since they are close in age and often wanted to be carried together. Now at 9 and almost 7 they can be counted on to walk long distances.
#13 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 12:21 AM

My stroller sits at our front porch and holds the screen door open so it doesn't slam. It has also been used to carry graceries and packages at the store. And my kids push each other in it for fun, or baby dolls when they play.
#14 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhairedgirl
Well, Mia, you have a great stroller.

i had to unfortunately give up babywearing, so I use my stroller a lot more often. i herniated a disc in my lumbar spine during ds's delivery, and just couldn't physically wear him anymore. I LOVED the time that I did though.

Mandy

Hi Mandy! It's great to see you over here!!! I was missin' my July/August Mommies!
#15 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 01:41 AM

I have 3. I got my first sling when I was pg with my 2nd dd. By then I had the 3 strollers, the one that came with the car seat and I bought a used double stroller because I was babysitting and needed something to hold more kids on walks. I got the umbrella at some point but couldn't tell you when I got it. I bought it for travelling because it was smaller.

When my neighbor and I would go for walks we used the sling, my stroller that came with the carseat because the double does not have a basket, then her double stroller. Now we have the wagons and the strollers are rarely used. She has the extended wagon with the 3rd seat and when it gets too hot for me to carry Nadia we'll use that. People think we're nuts when we go on 3-4 mile walks in 95+ weather.
#16 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 02:34 AM

We use our 2 strollers so much more than I ever wore them. I have a single for 'A' to ride in if 'J'is riding his bike, and I have a side-by-side double that we use several times a week going to the park. It has big baskets to haul all of our balls, diaper bags and snacks in. The park is quite a walk uphill from our house and the stroller works great. They both love it! Me too.
#17 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 05:59 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We have several strollers to mach our several slings and carriers. We use them all for different things. we have a double wide Maclaren that we don't use much now but it was nice when we went for long day trips that we knew both the kids would probably need something to catch a nap in. I have another Maclaren that you can attach a baby carrier on, we use that during those first few months when we're in and out of stores. We have 2 umbrella stroller that we keep in the car. I use them more for places I know have lousy shopping carts. And we have our jogging stroller which is used almost everynight for our runs.

I usually sling around the house, if we go for walks. It's much easier to sling Chandra and hold K's hand so he can walk now that he doesn't really want to be in a stroller.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#18 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 11:00 AM

I have a jogging stroller that ds still rides in when I'm either actually going for a jog with him or when we're going for a long walk somewhere and he doesn't feel like riding on my back (he'll ask for the stroller at those times).

I never bring it with us if we're either driving somewhere or riding the Metro though, because it stinks to have to keep up with a stroller, maneuver it through people, so on. Those times, he either walks or rides in the wrap. It lets us be more spontaneous.
#19 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 03:22 PM

I voted other. We have a double jogger we use for walks in the neighborhood with our almost 3 yo and 20 mo. We go to a mall about once a year so that has never been an issue really--I loathe shopping and we're at work all the dang time anyway! But for shopping and errands I generally have the sling with me and we do a combo of walk/sling/ride in shopping cart if applicable. My dd loves for the lady who helps me with the kids here some afternoons to push her around in the umbrella stroller that I used to keep in the car.
#20 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 07:04 PM

With dd#1, I carried her everywhere. She hated her carseat and the stroller, so I slung and backpacked here till she was 1-1/2 (30lbs). With dd#2, she actually likes the carseat and the stroller. She'll just look around at the trees and the leaves... She doesn't fuss in it, but I sling her because I miss having her closeby. So I'd say with dd#2, we'll start out in the stroller and then I'll end up slinging her. Also with dd#1, I somehow feel I'm not doing a "good job" if she's in the stroller. I find out I really don't have a problem with strollers, just how some moms use them - ignore their baby's cries or worse yet, closing up the hood and the carseat hood to muffle up the cries!!! Yuck!
#21 of 46 Old 05-29-2004, 07:17 PM

DS is almost two and over 30 lbs, and he likes to walk, so I don't carry him much anymore. We do use the stroller to walk to the park, or for walking around the mall. DH carries him in our kelty pack at the farmer's market every sunday, that's probably the most regular babywearing that happens these days.

Of course, as I type this, he's asleep on me in the OTSBH, so I do wear him sometimes.

Editted to add: I voted we use it as much. And we have a Maclaren vogue that I bought used that I really like.
#22 of 46 Old 05-30-2004, 09:15 AM

I have a collection of strollers, but many more carriers I have a couple outdoor doubles/joggers which I use for my daily exercise.
#23 of 46 Old 05-30-2004, 12:39 PM

We use the stroller about 25% of the time and the sling about 75%. We mostly bring the stroller if we're shopping so we can put out bags in it
#24 of 46 Old 05-30-2004, 12:51 PM

We keep the stroller in the car and use it if we are going on stroller rides and such. I really like to let DS decide whether or not he wants in it or not.
#25 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 02:22 AM

We have two strollers; both were gifts. One is a crappy umbrella stroller and one is a crappy Evenflo "regular" stroller. I like to take Bleuet for the occaisional walk in it, though often he will ask to be carried/worn (bf'ed) and I wind up pushing the stroller while wearing/carrying and bf'ing him. If we walk to the grocery store I like to have it to schlep all our stuff in. It's pretty weird when he falls asleep in it. I like the feeling of freedom, but it also makes me feel vaguely anxious whenever he doesn't fall asleep at the breast. I don't think I should feel that way, but I can't turn it off, either. I would really like to get a jogging/off-road stroller. The inactivity since being pregnant and having had a baby now for over a year is really getting to me. I foresee the stroller concept becoming difficult again, though, because now he wants to get down and walk and explore everything himself.
#26 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a small umbrella stroller. I didn't use it until I got pregnant with my second baby. Now I use it for my older ds when I know that we're going to be out walking around for hours. Like last month, we went to the Towsontown Festival and ds rode in the stroller while dd was in the sling.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#27 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 04:36 PM

I bought the stroller when I was PG. i don't even know why I bothered. I wear my son when we go out.
#28 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 04:46 PM

I have two kids and while I have sported a sutemi pack on my back with a homemade sling on front, I have to say that that is a really hard means of travel for me. So we use the stroller a lot too.

I take the double when I know I am going to need both hands totally free like at the park. I currently use the moby wrap and sometimes feel like it slips a bit and DS drops down. Not falls but just sinks too low. THen I have to take the whole thing off and redo it. ANyways, I wish I could babywear all the time but it just isn't practical for us all the time.
#29 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 04:56 PM

jogger -->gets use every day in my house. kiddo loves it, mom and dad are beginning to look great and like i said kiddo loves it.

umm also have a "travel system" we used when dd was first born. born via unplanned c section, dh works a lot so i needed it to help me carry her. after about 3 months of that, it got used very little.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#30 of 46 Old 06-02-2004, 05:27 PM

i have an unhealth obsession with strollers LOL. i have owned many in the less than 3 yrs my oldest has been alive. the thing is, they aren't used all that often. i wore dd1 in a bjorn most of the time, and pushed an empty peg pergeo venezia wherever we were. we also had a pp aria for small trips that didn't require a need for a diaper bag or space for carrying bags ( this one has been sold). i tried those travel systems at first and HATED them. dd1 never tolerated being in the bucket so those got exchanged (we tried 2) for the venezia. then i found out i was pg and i bought a second single stroller ( teutonia "toni") and a martinelli tender twin. the martinelli was used 2 times then sold, the toni sits in the back of our second car as an "incase" stroller LOL. with dd2 she was in the sling from birth and now is almost always on my back. however, i LOVE to walk as exercise and baby wearing gets hard and heavy after 45 min of power walking. so, i bought a zooper twin air off of the TP and i LOVE it. the girls do too. it is a side by side, so that can interact. the seat recline all the way so they can nap, the canopy is enourmous. and the basket is huge. we also live a 5 min walk to the beach so i can load it up with all of our beach "stuff." it's so easy to push too, huge air filled tires it's great. down side, it's HUGE!!!!!!! and heavy. my dh calls is the SUV. so..................... it can't go OUT with us anywhere really. we went to disney last week and bought 2 umbrella strollers, but one person can't push both, and they don't have canopies so just this week i bought a inglesina double stroller, that is a side by side, umbrella folding, with canopies. this is going to be for walks in the mall, or trips home or airports. those kinds of places. my kozy goes with me everywhere, and if one of the girls has had enough of the stroller they come out and get on my back. i have tried the "wearing 2 kids" in public and not only is it heavy, but you get odd looks, and i can understand why. strollers have their place, they are nice to have when shopping, and my girls always sleep better if they fall asleep in the stroller. in the carrier, their heads flop around too much to stay asleep.

so, all in all i have owned 9 strollers WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's insane. right now we have 3 plus the 2 umbrella strollers, and 1 on the way. i think i need a stroller buying support group!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL i think i am going to sell the toni and the venezia though. they just aren't needed or used enough to warrant keeping them. last month we sold a crib, dresser and a highchair that weren't being used at all either ( we are having more children, but i have found that we just don't use these items :LOL)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page