Best sling for hot weather? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2004, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has started to get pretty hot here in New Orleans and I was wondering what would be your pick for a hot weather sling? I only have a NOJO and I wore it to the Farmer's Market this week and was so hot wearing ds in it! Thanks for your suggestions!
TAlthough I still love wearing it, I get asked about my sling everytime I wear it in public! Someone always comments how much they like it, where did I get it, etc. I love that! I love wearing my sling as my own personal babywearing advocacy campaign!:LOL

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 02:30 PM

HIya!

You need an unpadded sling of some sort. Since you like the Nojo's closed tail and adjusability, maybe the Wise Woman Sling?

http://www.wisewomansling.com

My other suggestion would ba a pouch.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:37 PM

I hear ya about the heat! It is starting to get hot here in Austin, but not nearly as steamy as Houston or N.O.!

My first suggestion would be a solarveil sling. Or at least an unpadded cotton sling, pouch or ring. My 3 month old baby prefers ring slings to pouches, as he likes to be upright. Another option is an ABC, or Asian Back Carrier. I love my Kozy (www.kozycarrier.com). It's pretty well ventilated.

Solarveil is my first suggestion because you can nurse in it and you can wear it at the pool, which is the best place to be in this miserable heat. I tried mine at the pool a few days ago, and it was just brilliant. DS is too young for sunblock, so I had him in a sun-protective swimsuit (hilarious! we call it his flight suit) and I covered the rest of him with the tail of the solarveil sling.

You can find solarveil silngs at www.kangaroocorner.com or www.taylormadeslings.com, or just do a search.

HTH.

nak
Old 05-30-2004, 03:55 PM

I'm seconding or thirding how great Solarveil is. I got mine from Kangaroo Korner. It's unpadded and it's FANTASTIC!!! It's very cool and easy to adjust. DD (6mos) is very comfortable in it and I find it super comfortable too. I highly recommend it!
Old 05-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Jumping on the Solarveil bandwagon. I'm in Arizona so its HOT...not humid, but hot nonetheless. My Solarveil is my full-time sling right now. If I wear it in the water its usually dry within 20-30 minutes so I can use it quickly once everyone's done in the pool.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:43 PM

I should also mention that I have a really great Solarveil sling from Kangaroo Korner. It's awesome. I am just not wild about Solarveil for everyday use personally. I think it's too scratchy. But that's just a preference.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:59 PM

Good point - solarveil is not my choice for everyday. I do prefer cotton. It's softer and feels more supportive as well. But if I'm going to spend a lot of time outside, I go for the solarveil.

When I had it on at the pool the other day, I was surprised that the texture did not bother me. When it was wet, I thought it felt better than a water sling, because it was so light. I didn't have that icky feeling of wearing wet cloth, you know?

Some people say solarveil feels better after it's broken in. I haven't had mine long enough to tell.

Lately I have been wearing my Kozy when going for walks. I wanted to wear solarveil, but it did not feel supportive enough for a brisk walk.

If the question is, "what's the coolest sling", my answer is solarveil, but if the question is, "if you could only get one sling, what's your favorite cool sling", my choice would be a lightweight, light color cotton unpadded ring sling. I wouldn't want solarveil as my only sling, but it makes a great addition to a collection. Same goes for my Kozy.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:26 AM

T
Darien, I love how you are holding Clark in the Kozy! Where did you learn that hold? Any online instructions for it?

I second Darien's suggestion of a lightweight, unpadded ring sling for summer, if you only want to buy one thing.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Abigail- I agree- I love how Darien is wearing her ds in the Kozy! I don't have a kozy, but something similar (a cuddle n' carry- www.cuddlencarry.homestead.com), and it never occured to me to try wearing it higher... but I wonder if that would work with a bigger (20 lb) baby? She might be too heavy now, I'll have to try when dh is around.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Old 05-31-2004, 01:48 PM

I started a new thread about the high carry with a Kozy/ABC.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:07 PM

Howdy neighbor! I personally don't like the solarveil for anything but the pool. FOr everyday use I would recommend a pouch- like the hotsling ( www.hotslings.com ) Her fabrics are light. I have a stretch one and I love it.

I have a Kozy too and I love it for walks, but I sure end up sweaty :P

I don't think that there is a "perfect" sling for a climate like ours. For gosh sake, I'm sweaty by myslef, much less with a little hot baby attached to me :LOL

Good luck and let us know what you get!!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:15 AM

I'm glad you asked this question! I love slinging my baby, but it's starting to heat up here in College Station. I was wondering what to use. Right now I'm using a rebozo. I'm definately going to check out the slings yall suggested. My husband and I are going (god willing) to morocco this summer - by then Ilyas will be about 1 year. Does the solarveil work for this age?

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
Old 06-08-2004, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for all your great suggestions! Sorry I abandoned the thread, our family has had a terrible week long episode with a stomach virus, so I have obviously not been on the computer!
Anyway, I will definitely check into some of these slings now! I don't sling as often these days, since mine are now over three and 19 months, but I still love wearing them! Actually my three year old would still let me sling her alot, it is my 19 month old who wants to RUN!:LOL

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

User Tag List