Mothering Forum banner

Help! Baby is boycotting RS

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  katelove 
#1 ·
Hi all, my 6 week old seems to have a love-hate relationship with my Sakura Bloom sling. She does better with it when we use it out of the house on walks, but doesnt take to it as much when we are in the house. It hasn't been a successful soothing tool when she's fussing. Often, when we put her in it, regardless of her mood, she rubs her face vigorously against my chest or my husband's. She also does this in our Ergo, even after feedings - I'm sure it could just be instinctual rooting but it's uncomfortable as she does it very hard. Then she gets visibly upset and starts to cry until I either rock her so vigorously in it that she calms a bit - which isn't always successful and sometimes just feels like she fell asleep because she wore herself out from crying - or I have to take her out of it. She also isn't a fan of froggying her legs and stretches them out defiantly (which is also uncomfortable since I had a c-section and when she stretches out she grazes the incision), especially when she's fussing, which further complicates things. I'm not sure if this is user error or if my baby just doesn't find the RS soothing. Or perhaps I'm mistaken in thinking the RS is to be used as a soothing tool in addition to as a carrier. It's worth noting a lot of this behavior is also displayed in the Ergo though - so perhaps the issue isn't the carrier itself or how it's being used but rather that she doesn't care to be carried. Though, again, doesn't seem to mind it when we are out and about - perhaps because the constant movement lulls her and when I wear it her around the house it's not as constant? We have yet to have a successful outing with the Ergo (granted we've only tried twice). Frankly, I find the ergo great for older children but the infant insert is a huge pain in the ass and I can't get it on and off as quickly as I can the RS which is why I want to do everything I can to make the RS work before exploring other options.

I don't like wraps but am open to something like the Solly or K-Tan for indoor use to calm her. She is still quite young and I understand she may take to the RS when she's a bit older and may need something like a wrap until then.

I'm also curious as to what SSC you'd recommend for a petite woman. While I understand the padding on the Ergo serves a purpose, the shoulder straps are just too overwhelming for me. I've been looking into a Bjorn or perhaps Beco Gemini. Does anyone know if the shoulders straps on the Ergo 360 are as massive as the ones on the original?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd consider a Moby for that age. The Ergo isn't really designed for a baby that young, unless you use the infant insert which is just bulky, hot and makes the baby into a burrito. :p Oh, actually a mei tei would be great too--check out BabyHawk brand! I would also recommend, if possible, to order the extra-long straps. They come in handy for husbands or if a larger person uses the carrier. I also like to tie the straps in a chest belt, and the extra length comes in very handy. Good luck! :)

#3 ·
@farmer, thanks for the advice! I was using the infant insert with the Ergo but hated it which is why I was looking for alternatives. I didn't get a chance to check out the Mei Teis but I did get a Beco Gemini. I tried it on and instantly fell in love. Perfect for petite mamas and little babes - no insert required! My daughter seems much happier in it and it will be our main carrier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.