Got 2 postive comments today! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Horray! I live in a small town... there was a fair in town today so we took the kids. I wore my 2mo. old in my New Native carrier and our 3yr. old rode in the stroller. I got a lot of "looks"... so I was prepared for negative comments if any, but I got 2 positive comments on the sling and no negatives!

An older lady said "well, if that just isn't the perfect way to carry a baby" and asked what it was called and where I got it! Then a dad said something about it being easier than just carrying them around all the time. He had a 1yr. old (or so?) and I told him yes, and you can use it to carry them on your hip when they are older like his child. Then I over heard him telling the mom that she should get one, lol! So yeah, that was my day... oh and everyone saying how big my baby was for a 2mo. old.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#2 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 12:33 AM

thats awesome! i've ONLY gotten positive comments when i babywear. I've had the sling, the me tai, the moby/faux didymos a friend made me.

now i'm using a sarahs ride hip carrier. I wore Roman into the haircut place today and the women there.. moms and hairdressers all were like - wow. what a cool gadget. they all were asking bout it. Finally i put roman down to play with the trains (and get a hair cut) and they all passed it around trying it on! LOL
#3 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 01:25 AM

I just love getting comments like that. I have to ask if you heard what the moms response was when dad suggested the carrier. I was wearing my Zolo in Walmart once and a dad was carrying thier babe in a carseat and he approached me to ask if I got it at Walmart (giggle, Zolo at Walmart? ) I said no and told him where to get one and find out more babywearing info. He said it looked great and thier son always cried in the carseat (me thinking, well pick him up). The mom was pulling him away like "stay away from the creepy sling wearing woman". LMAO

Today while at a flee market I had all 3 kids, Mackie was cranky so I snug her on my back in the Zolo (my current fave because it looks so cool!) and walked in and then later flipped her to my hip so she could cuddle me as she fell asleep. I walked up front and the older ladys were oohing and aweing over it while behind me several parents were struggling strollers through the old barn which serves as the flea market. I wish I could have just pulled them all aside and said "Hey try this out!" Then this afternoon we went to the movies and I had Mackie in her BSAP, let me tell ya carrying popcorn and pop was a whole lot easier and I always get asked if I need help and I'm like "nope, I have my sling, we're fine"

Sorry to go OT, just wanted to share and ask about the Mom's response. I always think its cool when dads are so interested in the slings! To get the male models (who happen to be family members) on my site to wear a sling for me I told them the moms all think Dads in Slings are sexy. hehehe it worked!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#4 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 01:56 PM

I only get positive comments and "Where can I get one of those!?!?!" from people! It feels nice to introduce people to babywearing!
#5 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I actually haven't gotten a negative comment, but I've only worn it 3x. We didn't have a sling w/ our older ds, just a front pack carrier. My dh will wear that but for some reason he thinks the sling is girly?!? I will have to tell him that it will make him look sexy, then I'll bet he'll do it! LOL.

I don't think the mom said anything in response to the dad, at least not that I heard.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#6 of 7 Old 06-06-2004, 06:54 PM

We went to the zoo on Friday and I had 4 people come and ask me where I got my sling and where they could get one too! I usually only get positive comments when I take her places in the sling, but now that she's getting bigger some people feel the need to say things like "You know she's going to get too big for that thing soon, don't you?" I'm always thinking "And, what's your point?"
#7 of 7 Old 06-07-2004, 01:40 PM

my favorite reply to that is "I am pretty sure I will not be wearing her to high school"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page