Carrier for Big Baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-08-2004, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello fellow Babywearers! I am sure this topic has come up before but I don't have the time right now to do a search so my apologies. I have a Maya wrap that I have used for 2 years. I really like it but have recently started having problems. My 6 month old weighs almost 21 pounds and after wearing her lately I have been having significant shoulder pain. I am using it as I always have so I don't think I am doing anything wrong. When her sister weighes 21 pounds she was 18 months old and not in the sling constantly like dd #2. I need suggestions for a carrier for a large infant that is easy on the shoulder! Thanks all!
#2 of 11 Old 06-08-2004, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like you might need a padded sling. I had a big baby and shoulder pain with the Maya as well (even though the little flap is supposed to help). Most padded ring slings would work, I use an OTSBH, but if you're used to the super adjustability of the Maya, you might want to find one with an open tail.

I'll keep my eye out for you.
#3 of 11 Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How about the Kangaroo Korner padded sling? www.kangarookorner.com
#4 of 11 Old 06-09-2004, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Reader. I will have a look at Kangaroo. I actually went to the doctor because my shoulder hurt so much I needed an djustment! He also said he thought I had tendonitis in there. I had this in my wrist with dd#1, also because of I was supporting the sling. With dd#2 I guess bigger baby=bigger joint that is affected. It feel better today after not using the sling and being adjusted. I have to find something else though, my little chubby girl needs her sling!

What do you know about Moby wraps? From the picture they look really comfortable and like the weight is more evenly distributed.
#5 of 11 Old 06-09-2004, 10:50 AM

I would recommend a two-shouldered carrier of some kind that spreads evenly over both shoulders like a wrap carrier. I have an Ellaroo which is a non-stretchy woven wrap. I believe the Moby is a stretchy wrap.

And I totally had tendinits when my DD was between 6-12 months!! I had it in my wrist from holding her down to change her friggin' diaper! :LOL And she used to arch her back and twist around all the time to get down from my hip (like at the store) and I'd hold her in my 'death grip' to keep her safe and it had a very bad affect on my hand. I had a few osteopathic manipulations that really did no good. The best thing for me was ibuprofen at regular intervals (and trust me, I NEVER recommend drugs of any kind for anything), and as time went by and I carried her less, it faded away. She was also a HUGE child and I had a Maya Wrap that I used constantly because I didn't know there was anything else out there at the time. It killed me and the rings slipped constantly. A lot of that was her weight being incompatible with her age and she seemed even heavier. And she slouched back all the time causing me to have to stand crooked. If this baby comes out as huge as DD was, I plan to get him in a two-shouldered carrier he cannot escape from (Kozy, Ellaroo) and I think it will make things much better - at least on my hand! :LOL
#6 of 11 Old 06-09-2004, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

kris1225, I went to your website. Your stuff looks beautiful-do you have and wraps that go over both shoulders? Also, do you think the non-stretchy material would be better for me? Does stretchy get too stretched out?I'll try to find info on the Ellaroo, thanks for the idea. You are right about the ibuprofen to be the only thing that helps. My doctor said to take 4 every 8 hours which, like you I hate doing but it is helping!
#7 of 11 Old 06-09-2004, 03:26 PM

I don't make anything that would be good for you IMHO. LOL! Instead, check out Ellaroos and Mobys at:

http://www.pookababy.com
or
http://www.mothersville.com

and Kozys (ABC carriers) at:

http://www.kozycarrier.com

Um, as for stretchy vs. non-stretchy...I am a non-stretch person myself because I like the stability. But that's a TOTAL preferential thing.
#8 of 11 Old 06-10-2004, 01:23 PM

I love my Didymos and my Ergo, my 9 month old is somewhere between 22 and 26 lbs. (haven't been to weigh in ages), and it's all about the two shoulders!
#9 of 11 Old 06-13-2004, 12:15 AM

I totally agree about the 2 shoulders thing!!! I previously had a lot of back pain even before having a baby, and now our dd is 22lbs and the only comfortable carry for extended periods is this one for us:
http://www.peppermint.com/wrapcrosscarry.htm
I prefer a long piece of jersey knit fabric (although I haven't tried with a woven fabric for comparison). I got the fabric from www.pmorganics.com. I like being able to leave it on at all times and put her into it as-needed by stretching the fabric out and putting her feet through the top two wrap pieces - if you need help with this maybe I can take pictures sometime)
Sometimes I have her face out and sometimes face in (if she's going to nap, like she was in this pic of us in China while she was sleeping: http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/chinatrip/Pc300037a.jpg ) - I stood next to the statues they had of most adoptive parents - with a stroller - for comparison with the sling, since I had her in it almost all day while out walking and sightseeing. Even the Chinese people asked about the carrier since they could see how easy it was to carry heavy bags in both hands with her in the sling - truly hands free!
#10 of 11 Old 06-13-2004, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks Jenny, that looks like what I need. My mom owns a fabric store so I could probably try some different fabric until I found one that worked. Is there a hip carry position, where babe is off to the side somewhat?
#11 of 11 Old 06-13-2004, 12:22 PM

Here is a link for a Hip cross carry. The web site www.mamatoto.org has lots of great info about making a wrap and the various carries.

ITA that you need a two sholdered carrier. My DS is 20+ lbs and 6mos, and I can wear him in a pouch or a ring sling for short periods, but for long periods I wear him in the Kozy. It has saved my arms and back!!!!!

There are lots of 2 shouldered carriers out there. Have fun making a wrap- and let us know how it goes!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page