Newbie here wondering what works best for a newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2004, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we've got a medium Maya pouch. It's beautiful, but I can't even begin to figure out how the heck a little tiny newborn will lay comfortably in it, much less breastfeed. We did watch the DVD & practiced with a doll, but that didn't really help. I can see where the Maya pouch may actually work better for us once the baby is a little older, but unless it's easier with a live baby I can't see us (especially DH) using it with a newborn.

Anyway, what do all you BTDT mommies recommend for carrying a newborn around? I have carpal tunnel in both arms (not severe, but bad enough), so being able to carry the baby without having to hold them constantly is really important.

TIA!

Holly
EDD 9/16 #1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 10:41 PM

Holly,
You can use rolled up receiving blankets on either/both sides/under feet to help prop baby up

FWIW, I loved my Kangaroo Korner adjustable cotton pouch when Neve was wee little newborn.

HTH
Old 06-10-2004, 01:44 AM

If you can find an *good fitting* maya pouch ...old style I would really really reccomend these! they are light and comfy and your babe does not get lost in the fabric...that said Maya wraps can be used quite well with a newborn...is there anyone near you who slings? who could show you how?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 PM

Yep, I am due in Sept. and I can't wait to use my Kangaroo Korner Adjustible Fleece Pouch www.kangarookorner.com and my Hug A Bub www.hug-a-bub.com.au/

The great thing about these two is that they have some give which keeps baby very close to you and snuggly. Plus the fabrics are super soft. There is a world of difference between a woven pouch and one with some give to it. It just holds them very securely. And when my little one comes it will be getting cooler, perfect weather for the fleece
As for the Hug a Bub, it is thin and lightweight and also has that give, so you can wrap your little one to your body and really do just about anything and not have to worry about a head flopping around etc. And the added bonus is that the weight is supported over both shoulders (though there is a bigger learning curve for a wrap).
Plus they are both just so super comfy it's not funny.

FWIW, I used a new native pouch daily with my first (it was my only sling) and while it worked OK it didn't work well. I never would have chosen it had I known about the other options out there, and by the time he was 4mo I had already made myself a ring sling With my second I used a homemade lightly padded ring sling mostly when she was tiny.

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
Old 06-10-2004, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think a good fitting pouch is the best for a newborn. I'm using my hotsling for a 3 week old daycare baby and I have no problems with getting her comfortable. I'm actually feeding her her bottle in the sling right now!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 06-10-2004, 03:34 PM

I had a Maya Pouch with my DD when she was a newborn. I had a size small. I was able to try them on since I bought from a local distributor, and it turns out the small really fit me better, even though I'm not that petite or anything.

Anyways, the pouch was best for newborn b/c it was so simple and easy to use. I just put a receiving blanket folded up in the pouch first, so that she wasn't so "deep". But they grow so fast that we only did this for a couple of weeks.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 06-10-2004, 03:58 PM

I just took a pic of the 3 week old in my hotsling, I haven't needed any pillow, blankie or anything. I think it is alot of it is in the fit of the sling.

http://www.wisewomansling.wahmworld..../hotsling3.jpg

Oh yea, my hair is kinda funky, don't mind that, just look at the sling!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 06-10-2004, 05:18 PM

Your hair looks fine. Thanks for the shot. I bought a small hotsling pouch a few months ago for my second DS due in September. I was wondering how a newborn would look myself.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 06-10-2004, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! Lots to think about. I guess we'll hold off on buying another one for now & see how we like using the Maya pouch with an actual baby in it I'll also make sure I try adding a receiving blanket or something. Going to bookmark those other sites though so I can refer back to them.

Wemoon, thank you for posting that picture. Your hotsling is *beautiful*!

Holly
Old 06-10-2004, 08:03 PM

The main down side of a non adjustible pouch is that you might not be able to do tummy to tummy with it, well, at least not as well as you could with a ring sling or a wrap . T2T was by far our favorite position when dd was a newborn. It kept her super close to me where she could hear my heartbeat, with her head under my chin . . . ahhhh, soooo nice
I prefer a pouch for quick in and out, hip carry, or if I just need something small to carry with me. OK, so I guess I think everyone should have one of everything :LOL

Kelley, wife to Charlie, SAHM to Xian (8) Piper (7) Arah (4) Ever (2) Thrace (5.09)
: : : : : EC:
Old 06-10-2004, 08:40 PM

Aw, come on, now! ayou can't give up on your MW before the baby is even in it! It works great!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:26 PM

ITA that a fleece pouch will do the trick. I don't have a Maya so I can't comment, but here is a pic of DH with DS in the KKAFP when he was about a month old. DS never tolerated the cradle hold for me, but loved it with DH. go figure. Anyhoo, Ds LOVED the tummy to tummy for the reasons that EnterGently mentioned. It will be easier once your little one gets here.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:40 PM

I want to totally agree with everything everone has said here and say that you may want to have a couple of different types of carriers ready so your baby can tell you what he/she likes best. I think your MW pouch will be perfect if your kiddo is cool with the cradle hold, but you're going to need an adjustable top rail if your baby insists on being upright in a T2T carry. So in addition to your MW pouch, you should pick up a Maya Wrap or other ring sling.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:03 AM

Yea really everyone needs a couple of slings! I say everyone needs one pouch and one ring sling at least. Flipping the shoulder can help on a pouch to do some of the other carries, but it just isn't quite the same as a ring sling.

Thanks on the pic and thinking my hair looks ok! LOL! I just love doing daycare for this baby, seems a crime that I am getting paid for it!

Old 06-11-2004, 02:40 PM

Wemoon, you go girl in those jeans 3 weeks pp! Wow!
Old 06-11-2004, 04:10 PM

OH no! That isn't my baby!!! That is a friends baby

Old 06-11-2004, 05:33 PM

I really prefer adjustable unpadded ring slings, like the Maya Wrap (not pouch), for newborns and small babies. You can cinch the sling in real comfy and tight around the baby, so it works well for all different holds. My ds only wanted to be upright tummy-to-tummy, which I could do in the ring sling, but not in the pouch until he was larger (at least not without using an arm too). Then, you can let it out easily to have enough room to breastfeed. IMO these are the best all-around carriers for tiny ones.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemoon
I just took a pic of the 3 week old in my hotsling, I haven't needed any pillow, blankie or anything. I think it is alot of it is in the fit of the sling.

http://www.wisewomansling.wahmworld..../hotsling3.jpg

Oh yea, my hair is kinda funky, don't mind that, just look at the sling!
soooo cute!!!

She looks so comfy and sweet.....

Definitely putting hotslings on my "want list" for Bean coming soon........

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 06-12-2004, 12:01 AM

Can anyone post a good link to the Maya slings/pouches? TIA Looking for one for our #2 arriving in early August.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:28 AM

Here is the company's website.
There are links to distributors at the above site

I bought mine through a local distributor, so that she could demonstrate and help me figure it out before I decided for sure if I wanted it.

Sometimes there are decent deals on eBay, though.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:44 PM

Quote:
OH no! That isn't my baby!!! That is a friends baby
Well at least I don't feel as clueless, thinking "did I know she was having a baby?" LOL!
Old 06-12-2004, 10:23 PM

Mrzmeg-Thank you

I am looking into a few different ones, the Maya, the New Native, so these resources should help me narrow down my search.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:08 AM

Wemoon -- is that Hotsling a basic sling or a basic stretch sling? I've been eyeing the Hotslings for a while and think I'm going to buy one for my newborn (she's 2 weeks old today!), but I'm not sure which to get - reg or stretch. I like the look of the fit of yours in that photo, and I think it's the basic, but I can you please confirm for me?

Thanks!
Megan
Old 06-13-2004, 11:48 AM

Megan, it is a stretch sling. I was contemplating between the reversable and the stretch and I'm really glad I went with the stretch. There isn't alot of stretch, just enough to give it a nice cozy feel.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:14 PM

Just had to say again that this thread is really helping me come up with a few sling options for baby#2!
Old 06-13-2004, 07:34 PM

Cool! Thanks so much for letting me know. I think I'm going to order one today! I can't wait to have use of both hands again!

Quote:
Megan, it is a stretch sling. I was contemplating between the reversable and the stretch and I'm really glad I went with the stretch. There isn't alot of stretch, just enough to give it a nice cozy feel.

User Tag List