Do people stare at you... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when you wear your sling? It just cracks me up that people will STARE at me and my babe like we are aliens. so weird to me. But I am in WV (from CA) and I never see slings out here, just infant carriers. I rarely see bjorns even. So now I make it a point to wear my sling when we go into stores.

At least all the comments are positive. this one senior lady said "what a wonderful way to travel!" and most older ladies say that he looks so comfy. My favorite is "wow, they just have the neatest baby things nowadays!" It will be interesting to hear the comments when we go to the airport at the end of the month!

btw, I have a AP babyspace---love it! I can't wait to get a wrap and REALLY get some stares around here!! LOL
#2 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 12:13 PM

I stare at babywearers because I'm trying to figure out what kind of carrier they're wearing and I wanna know how it's working for them and their baby

but I'm not in CA, just chiming in-
#3 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 12:28 PM

I get stares and comments all the time! One that I overheard was someone said to the other person she was with 'I would never trust my baby in that thing" I was wearing a Maya Wrap. My friend who was pg at the time heard it too and she asked if it was safe, so I bent over Liam didn't fall out. LOL She now has a 5wk old and is getting into slings! She now has my UBW and I am ordering her another sling today. We are going to a local baby store today, I will be carrying Liam in the Ergo, she will be using my Maya and my other friend will be wearing her Maya!
#4 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 12:41 PM

I've never seen somebody with a sling of anything. An occasional Snuggli, but not very often. I wore my sling to the mall once and people just stared at me like I had 3 heads. I just ordered an ABC so I think people won't be so weirded out by it because it looks more like a Snuggli and I can carry DD the same way.

I'm in Ma. There is an AP Parents group a few towns over from me. So they do exist. I've just never seen them.
#5 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 01:17 PM

I always get stared at! I am becoming known in towan as "the lady with the baby carrying thing" :LOL
I especialy find it funny when people rubber kneck in cars or on bikes when they see Sam and I walking down the street. Priceless

Most of the comments I get are positive though I have gotten a few that made me shake my head at the ignorance of some people.

MM
#6 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 01:23 PM

At my daughter's tball practice the other night, I saw a mama there with a little baby. I went over and drooled over the baby and then realized mama was familiar. I asked her, "Did I see you in Walmart when baby was brand new? Were you in the snack bar, maybe?" She didn't remember...then I said, "I would have been wearing my baby in a black wrappy thing in front of me..." and she said, "OH! Yeah, I remember you! I bought a carrier thing but it has so many straps and snaps, I cant' figure it out."

We'll be practicing babywearing at tball games now. I'm looking forward to it.

I get looked and I get mostly positive comments. I have heard:

"Can he breathe in there?"
"That looks complicated."
"Isn't he smooshed?"
and my favorite - Q: "How do you drive like that?" A: "I just take the baby out."

:LOL
#7 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 01:37 PM

I get stared at all the time particularly in the supermarket. I hear a lot of 'Did you see that!' as I walk by.

I get a lot of positive comments too, especially from older ladies. They say things like
'That looks comfy'
'Wow, what a great thing that it'
'How lovely for your baby to be so close to you'

One lady came up to me once when DD was sleeping in the Maya at the supermarket. She said she just had to come and tell me how lovely and snuggly my baby looked all wrapped up on her Mummy.

It seems to be the other mums who look at me as if I have 3 heads, not sure why that is?
#8 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 01:43 PM

I get stares all the time when Bella is in her sling or Ergo. Usually they are positive - I think the negative ones people just keep to themselves - if I see someone looking my way and whispering I usually just shoot them a huge smile!
#9 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 03:13 PM

I get stares all the time; I just laugh. I am not sure if it is because of the sling or pouch that the baby is in, or because I look like I am 18, with 4 children, lol.
#10 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 04:49 PM

I get stared at all the time too. I don't think I've seen anyone around here ever slinging. Occassionally I see Snugli-style carriers being used, but never a sling. But I don't see my city as being very AP. Most people I know don't breastfeed, and if they do, never more than 3 months. Cloth diapers are impossible to find around here (I was planning on going that route, but my dh wasn't for it), and slings? - you get two different styles around here.

My favorite memories of being stared at were when I lived in Saskatchewan during the winter, and wore Xander under my jacket, to keep us both warm. Everyone who met me, who then realized I had a baby underneath my jacket, told me they thought I was really pregnant.
#11 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoba_mommy
I always get stared at! I am becoming known in towan as "the lady with the baby carrying thing" :LOL
MM
The people in Wal-Mart and the supermarket call me "the lady with the contraption" :LOL

I love all the stares.
#12 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 06:00 PM

Definitely. Older ladies, though, think they are wonderful. I like the "they have the neatest things these days" comments. Actually, they've been around for ages!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#13 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 06:01 PM

No stares if I wear a sling, they are pretty common around here. But I will get stares and questions if I wear my Cuddle n' Carry (ABC)... mostly "does that thing hurt your shoulders" or "My that looks so cuddly!"

Someone said to me the other day that my CnC looked like a papoose?

BTW, I have been in WV with dd in a sling, and got stared at in a restaurant by people who were bottle-propping their baby in the car seat.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#14 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 06:19 PM

Slings and bjorns are pretty common where I live, but the funniest comment I've gotten was that it looked comfy and she wished she had something similiar to carry her dog in!
#15 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 PM

I have actually seen people with dogs in carriers like that! To each her own!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#16 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 06:45 PM

I get some looks, but never rude comments.
A young-ish (late teens?) cashier commented how it looks so much more comfortable for him than those front carrier things when their poor little legs just dangle.
An older lady in line at walmart was telling me how she used something like that to carry her baby, she worked something out with a shawl and a brooch to keep it closed.
Yesterday I saw a mom with a pouch, I was so excited! I have a wrap, and I wanted to go harrass her about it(ask how she liked it and all, I've never seen one IRL), but she had a much younger baby and was loading her into the car, so I didn't want to keep her.
But in my area carriers are really common. You don't see a mom and baby without at least a bjorn or snugli or backpack or something.
My family is always amazed at how many ways it can be used. Upright when they're teeny? Oh the sling does that. You should get a back carrier. Sling does that too. Hey, I saw this cool thing to hold the baby on your hip, to save your arm! Hey guess what! Sling! lol.
At least among the people I know, holding the baby all day is just what you do anyway, so all the contraptions are just to make life a little easier and your back a little less sore. I must be really lucky that way.
#17 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 09:41 PM

I do get some stares, but I think people assume I'm slinging Ilyas 'cuz that's what 'those people do in their home countries'. LOL, I'm totally from Texas, but people assume from my headscarf that I'm "ethnic".

When strangers actually say something, it's always positive. Every once in a while a well-meaning friend will tell me I need to not carry Ilyas so much, as it will 'spoil' him. Like he's a piece of fruit that will go bad?

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#18 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 10:37 PM

There are a number of slinging momma's and poppa's here in kazoo... not the norm by any means but I keep running into other folks and we all smile at each other. The sling is just such a happy thing! My fave comment was from an elderly gentleman - "that must be his (ds) favorite place!" yep. although if ds could somehow create a sling with bungy cords so that he could jump at the same time... that might win out LOL. ggma.
#19 of 27 Old 06-16-2004, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIlyas
I do get some stares, but I think people assume I'm slinging Ilyas 'cuz that's what 'those people do in their home countries'. LOL, I'm totally from Texas, but people assume from my headscarf that I'm "ethnic".

When strangers actually say something, it's always positive. Every once in a while a well-meaning friend will tell me I need to not carry Ilyas so much, as it will 'spoil' him. Like he's a piece of fruit that will go bad?
I like the fruit comment! I need to remember that one!
#20 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 11:31 AM

I have gotten a few looks and comments, only one of them negative though. I had an awful woman make a rude comment about "that's what they make strollers for..." I was waiting for a cart at the store and she was blocking the way, taking forever because she was telling her daughter to "sit her a** down," after patiently waiting for a few minutes I let out a loud sigh, thus the comment, I guess. Too bad I didn't have time or I could have stuck around and asked her for some parenting advice.
#21 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIlyas

http://www.therottenfruit.com/
#22 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 12:13 PM

I get them. the one I hear ALL the time is "There's a Baby in there?" No that's just a doll. Oh and I have heard "I thought that was a doll in there" LOL With the stares I just stare back or I'll say not so quietly to my dd who is always with me "Aria I wonder why these people are just staring at us. Maybe they've never seen people before. What do you thing sweetie?" They usually look away after that.
J
#23 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 03:17 PM

Yes, people stare at us ALL THE TIME! And the most frequent comment I get is "I thought you had a broken arm in a sling" -- my PIP is natural hemp. But then again, I stare at those women who are trying to push a stroller with two toddlers while carrying a baby and a ton of luggage THROUGH THE AIRPORT! <lol> We just walk right on by and beat them to the car rental counter! (Just had this experience a few weeks ago, can you tell?)
#24 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana
Slings and bjorns are pretty common where I live, but the funniest comment I've gotten was that it looked comfy and she wished she had something similiar to carry her dog in!
that's too funny - when ds was a baby, an older lady came up to me in the supermarket to ask about the sling because she had an elderly crippled and blind poodle she wanted to carry in one :LOL. i told her how easy they were to make, so she said she was going to try to make one!
#25 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 PM

Stares. . yes. I guess mainstream carriers(snugglis etc-) are popular here, although everyone I know uses it at home but not out???

Mostly I heard "What are you carrying her in now?" I have a sling, 2 wraps, and a homemade ABC.

My favorite comment ever was right after I got my sling (my first babywearing item). I was wearing my dd, 6 months old, in a Kangaroo carry. My friend who is a missionary to South Africa said "Oh, your carrying your baby just like the African mothers." Love that!!! Wish he could see me now with my wraps.
#26 of 27 Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 PM

We get stares all the time. Most comments are "Wow I've never seen anything like that before" or "that's really nice". On a recent plane trip an older woman said to me, "What a wonderful way to hold your baby. That should be a pre-requiste for parenthood" . I whole heartedly agreed

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#27 of 27 Old 06-18-2004, 09:48 AM

People here in Connecticut stare at us all the time. I just ignore it unless it looks like the person is interested, but a lot of the time it looks like a negative type of stare. My little slingee is not so little anymore and we use wraps and abcs a lot. He is tall and 32lbs. He looks like he is more than 2 years old. I sometimes get comments like, "he is too big to carry" and directed at him "Aren't you old enough to walk". Yeah, he is old enough to walk, but he wanders everywhere and he is quick and I have a three year old walking to keep track of too. No one says anything about a toddler/preschooler in a stroller though.

When ds and dd were younger and in a sling, I only got positive stares and mostly positive comments.

Angie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page