When did you first learn about baby wearing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Growing up, I had never seen anyone where their baby. I had no idea people did this. It wasn't until I was watching "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Women" did I first learn about it. Dr. Quinn would wear her baby in a leather sling. I remember watching and thinking, "Wow! What a cool idea. Baby can sleep and mama has her arms free. Why doesn't everyone do this?"

So when did you first learn about baby wearing?
#2 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 03:20 PM

I was on a message board for pregnant moms and a fellow preggo was talking about slings. I got interested and after that I was hooked! I saw one years earlier when I was a teen but I had no clue what it was and thought "OMG I would NEVER wear something like that!" LOL, look at me now!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#3 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 03:41 PM

I actually bought one of those Snuggle three in one where you can wear your newborn like a sling. I liked the idea but it killed my back. I came home after wearing it for a day walking around DC and started looking at slings over the internet. From there I was hooked.

Katie
#4 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 03:49 PM

I read about it in the Dr. Sears book when I was preggo. I was more into the conventional scheduling type parenting and a friend suggested the book. I thought it was a bit crazy. I remember telling my dh that I could not imagine wearing my baby all the time. Please, you have to put them down! Well, eat my words as I got a baby who never wanted to be put down. Dr. Sears really saved our lives . Ds hated the sling and we ended up with the Baby Bjorn, using the sling a little when he was much older. I am still very pro slings and suggests them to all of my conventional friends when they are preggo.
#5 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 05:12 PM

Wow. I really don't know. But my mom is Chinese American and there are photos of her carrying me in what we call an ... well it'd be pronounced Oy Chai... and what is referred to on the boards as a Mei Tai. So the idea wasn't too foreign to me.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#6 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 PM

I was a child development major in college in the mid-1980s and the professors in my program really advocated a style of parenting and of child care that is child centered and very hands on. We had an infant/toddler care center (essentially a two hour daycare/preschool program for babies over 8 weeks) and used slings and front packs in this program. They also advocated "the family bed" and gentle discipline and moving to the baby's schedule. LOL. I think they may have been ahead of their time a bit!

I saw my first OTSBH at a craft faire in 1989.
#7 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 PM

mid 80s? Wow! I think they WERE ahead of their time. How were their teachings received?

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#8 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 07:26 PM

I grew up seeing those bjorn-like front carriers. My mom used one with my younger sibs (and, I assume, with me and my older sibs too, but I don't remember that! ) They also had a backpack type one....I think it was called a Gerry Carrier or something (never made sense to me, since in my mind, "gerry" sounded like geriatric, but oh well...)

The first true sling I ever saw was a lady at church, just a couple years ago. It was very padded and bulky (in retrospect, I think maybe a homemade Elizabeth Lee one??), and was an ugly (IMO) purple print. It was just sloppy looking--I didn't like it at all, because I couldn't imagine wearing that anywhere, but I did like the concept. Then I got pregnant, started websurfing natural family stuff and specifically looking for nursing dresses, and a whole wonderful world of lovely slings opened to me!!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#9 of 25 Old 06-24-2004, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read about them in the Dr. Sears Pregnancy and Baby books. I had a Bjorn, thinking that would be good enough, but by the time my son was 2 weeks old, it killed my back. I then started seeing ads in some issues of Mothering someone gave me. I ordered a couple to try, kept one, and was hooked. I now have a much bigger collection for my second baby, as I know I will need them all the more.
#10 of 25 Old 06-25-2004, 06:03 AM

My wonderful LLL leader lent me her OTSBH when DD was 7 weeks old and was going through a nursing strike, crying all the time and life was pretty miserable. It changed our lifes totally.

Now at nearly 10mo old we have a yummy Maya and we still use it several times a day. It is my extra pair of hands I often hear mothers say they should grow. lol.
#11 of 25 Old 06-25-2004, 10:04 AM

I first got one of those front carriers after having baby#3. Then I was just looking around the internet about them and they said how bad they were for a baby's back, and that a sling was a natural and safe way to carry babies! So, I have been using a sling since my 3rd baby was about 4 months old. I am preggo with #5 now, and don't know how I could make it without wearing my babies, lol!
#12 of 25 Old 06-25-2004, 11:36 AM

I knew about front pack carriers already, but saw my first sling at our Bradley class (a well-loved OTSBH). Then started reading Dr. Sears, got online and a whole new world opened up. Now I have 5 slings/soft carriers and still want more!

April
Mama to and
#13 of 25 Old 06-25-2004, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! What great responses. Seems like we all discovered them in different ways. How funny, though, that so many learned so much through the internet. How on earth did we get along w/o it before? lol
#14 of 25 Old 06-27-2004, 12:17 AM

My mom had a Snugli for my sibs - way back in the 70s. My aunts used front carriers sometimes too.

I had seen photos of moms from other cultures wearing their babes. I also had seen some Latin American women wearing babies.

At my shower for my older boy, I received a frame pack, a baby bjorn, and two rebozo - no stroller though. I guess people realized the type of mom I would be.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#15 of 25 Old 06-27-2004, 03:28 PM

Well, I've known about contraptions to carry your baby for years... my dh always enjoyed seeing pictures of his dad carrying him in a backpack, etc., and talked getting one for our kids, and of course I'd seen snuglis. I first learned about the "philosophy" behind babywearing when I was a grad student instructor for a developmental psych class... one of our exercises was to have students critique a 20/20 video that talked about attachment parenting- babywearing was presented as if the parents NEVER put there babies down, like EVER... the students were all questioning "How do the kids learn to walk?" That intrigued me, then a friend wore her baby in a NoJo (she actually turned me on to cloth diapers as well), so I read more about it... on the internet of course!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#16 of 25 Old 06-27-2004, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I first read about slings and the concept of babywearing to promote attachment when reading the Sears Baby Book while I was pregnant with my first. But I'd seen the front and backpack style carriers since the late 70s. My sister had one with her children.
#17 of 25 Old 06-27-2004, 11:24 PM

I remember seeing my mom carrying my brother (born in 79) in a snuggli! green cordorouy, (mind you she also BF and CD LOL) my first baby carrier was a blue cord snuggli that I used religiously to carry my first born in..he was born in Nov of 91.
My first REAL "sling" I bought direct from Bev Hoffman at a craft sale in 1993 or 1994 ..and I loved it..since then its just been a progression each baby I have more slings/carriers I compile!! LOL but hey options are good right?
#18 of 25 Old 06-27-2004, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka
Growing up, I had never seen anyone where their baby. I had no idea people did this. It wasn't until I was watching "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Women" did I first learn about it. Dr. Quinn would wear her baby in a leather sling. I remember watching and thinking, "Wow! What a cool idea. Baby can sleep and mama has her arms free. Why doesn't everyone do this?"

So when did you first learn about baby wearing?
:LOL Oh my gosh! When I read the title of your thread I was like "they're going to think I'm nuts when I tell them it was from Dr. Quinn." Then I read your post! That's where I saw it too! I went out and bought a sling immediately!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#19 of 25 Old 06-28-2004, 12:24 AM

Morrocco.

In college I studied abroad in southern Spain and took a week vacation to Morrocco. The moms there wear their babies tied on their backs in fabric slings/pouches. I thought it was sooo cool and when i got back i would tie the kids i babysat into slings and carry them around--they LOVED IT and would ask for it all the time "Carry me like they do in morrocco".

Then i found out about it from another message board on the internet and realized "whoa! they have these in the states too!"
#20 of 25 Old 06-28-2004, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I remember seeing my mom carrying my brother (born in 79) in a snuggli! green cordorouy, (mind you she also BF and CD LOL) my first baby carrier was a blue cord snuggli that I used religiously to carry my first born in..he was born in Nov of 91.
Me TOO!!! I actually have pictures of my mom carrying me in the green corduroy snuggli LOL ... and when my dd was born my mom picked a blue one up at a local thrift store ... I don't suppose it was yours LOL

I had already bought myself a ring sling though ... but my mom thought it wouldn't work very well LOL.

Where abouts in Canada are you?

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#21 of 25 Old 06-28-2004, 09:17 AM

I had a front pack for dd as an infant, but she HATED it. The first time I ever saw someone use a sling was actually in Disney World, waiting in line for It's a Small WOrld, when dd was 2. I thought it was such a great idea!! Shortly thereafter, I found our AP Homeschooling group and everyone had a sling. And when I got pg with ds, the sling was the first thing I committed to buy!
#22 of 25 Old 06-28-2004, 07:55 PM

#23 of 25 Old 06-28-2004, 10:16 PM

My mom used a purple with blue polka dot snugli for my little sis' (both of them) and then passed the snugli on to me when she was done. I was at ren faire while preggo and I saw a mom wearing her baby in an OTSBH, and I thought it was interesting, but it didn't occur to me that the OTSBH wasn't part of her garb until about 7 months later, dd had outgrown the snugli, I sold her stroller, and started reading the AP board at Babycenter. The rest, as they say, is history.
#24 of 25 Old 06-28-2004, 10:23 PM

My sister had her 2nd baby 6mos. before I had my first child, and she was always wearing him in a snugli or backpack. Someone had gotten us a snugli for a shower gift, we struggled with it once and then went straight to the store and bought the only sling they had, it was a NoJo baby sling. I used that with my first ds, and got a Newnative, and now a Mayawrap with my baby ds. Other than my sister, and magazines, I don't remember seeing anyone wearing their baby, at least not anyone I noticed!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#25 of 25 Old 06-29-2004, 11:56 AM

I was first introduced to slings at La Leche League before my ds was born. Ordered a New Native Carrier, and ended up hating it. DS was so small, and there was just no adjusting it. I got a baby holder and was hooked. I even sell them now!..I love to be the first to see and feel the new fabrics. DD is in hers whenever we go out... and a lot at the computer, then I can type with both hands...LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page