I need something for my newborn! Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2004, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as salaam alaykum

i just bought a freehand baby carrier (my babies get sortof big FAST, so i got this to put the weight on both shoulders)... gave away my old gently used maya wrap... then i realized that i want to have something that my baby can snuggle/nurse in while she is a little newborn. i thought about buying another maya wrap, because i loved the one i had. but this is my last baby (due any day now), and i'm primarily looking for something that will be good for breastfeeding hands free. does anyone have experience with the adjustable maya wrap pouch?? i'm interested in looking into other slings/pouches too, but i just love the guatamalan fabric!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Maya A.P. and I love it. That said, I am not able to get as snug a fit with it as I can with a sling. Because of the zippers that make it adjustable, it's extremely difficult to do the shoulder flip... the fabric is sewn together in the back. However, I have a 4 month old and mostly use it for hip or kangaroo carries; dd was never a fan of any type of cradle hold (not even in arms, really, unless she's actively nursing.)

As far as nursing hands-free, I would think that the sling would be a better option, but I have no experience with it. Maybe you could put a cloth diaper inside the pouch to prop the baby's head up, but otherwise, I just don't think that you can adjust a pouch as well as a sling. I really only nurse my dd in the hip position with the pouch... I've tried to lay her down in it, but she's just too long! (I can do it in our Moby, tho!)

At any rate, I hope this helps.

Good luck with your new baby!!!

User Tag List