babywearing *and* carrying diaper bag? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What diaper bags are yall carrying? Right now I have two hotslings.
#2 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 12:06 PM

i've never really done the slinging and carrying a diaper bag thing. if i had to go somewhere that i need to carry my diaper bag while slinging, i always brought our stroller too. that way i had a place for my bag and my purchases. if we were just going to a friends house then it never really mattered what type of bag i carried.

i have had a couple over the sholder bags; 1 from peg perego ( this matched our stroller and actually latched onto it, which i really liked) 1 from eddie bauer, and my most current one from vera bradley. i also tried a backpack but i hated that, plus i started using a back carrier after dd2 was born and that just doesn't work with a back pack.
#3 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 PM

I usually do what danaalex said, bring a stroller when I also need a diaper bag, but occasionally, I have carried DD in my Baby Trekker and used our back-pack like diaper bag. This way, I have the baby's wt and the diaper bag's wt distributed over both shoulders and it felt "balanced" for me. HTH.
#4 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 12:32 PM

With my Moby, I can easily wear our bag, which is a backpack. With the OTSBH, I made dh carry it, or carried it from the top, instead of wearing it.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#5 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a smallish bag. I put it over my shoulder either on the side opposite the sling, if I'm slinging, or just over the carrier strap if I'm using the Kozy. I only take the stroller grocery shopping.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#6 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 03:40 PM

I have a fanny pack that fits 3 diapers, a baggy w/ wipes, my wallet, cell & a pen! It snaps around my waist & I attached a clip to hook my keys onto. So I'm completely hands free! It's especially great for trips to the fair, boatrides, etc.
#7 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 04:15 PM

I use a backpack while carrying ds in a sling - side-saddle style (he's straddling my right hip). I tell him to raise his arm up so I can get the backpack strap on my shoulder, then he can rest his arm on my shoulder.

I like the fanny pack idea - we have something like that, but it's big. I would like a smaller one.
#8 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmmmm....so no shoulder diaper bags unless I'm willing to bring the stroller along huh?

Dana, Vera Bradley huh? I knew Kate Spade made diaper bags; but, not Vera. I saw a kid from my church with a Louis Vuitton backpack last night and I thought about that..

but then I can't wear babe on my back...:
#9 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabmommie
but then I can't wear babe on my back...:
That's why I bought my trim messenger bag. (Not a diaper bag, but I can put diapers in it. I wouldn't want that much stuff with me, anyway.) Back when I was carrying dd on both back and front, I could just swing the bag around to whichever side dd wasn't on.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#10 of 25 Old 07-26-2004, 11:26 PM

I think a messenger bag or backpack works best with a sling.
#11 of 25 Old 07-27-2004, 12:13 AM

I'm sort of a minimalist kinda gal, so I usually just tuck a diaper (folded and snapped inside a cover with a wet bag for the dirty one) into my sling. I keep my check card, cash, license, etc in a small wrist bag attached to my keys. There's a clip attached to the back so I can hook it onto a belt loop) That's it. I generally keep an extra diaper or two in the car, so if I need more supplies, I just go back to reload.

peace, Beth
#12 of 25 Old 07-27-2004, 01:25 AM

You know, it totally depends where I am going and what I am doing! I do not tend to take public transit anywhere so I always have my diaper bag with us..we use a Mothership from Fleurville, its such a great bag...I do not carry it around on my shoulder per say tho...unless I am out walking then I usually do not bring it...LOL I use our Kozy's alot and got them with pockets specifically to carry things like Keys..the phone...and a cloth dipe..it works great for that..I see some mothers use backpacks..but those have so never been my style! LOL I am just not a "sporto" chick...hee hee dont even own a pair of running shoes!

That said there is a ton of options I guess it all depends on what you are doing that day?

Hope that was a bit helpful.
#13 of 25 Old 07-27-2004, 12:14 PM

well, for the longest time, i would bring a diaper bag and then put one dipe and a little ziploc baggie with wipes in the pocket of my maya wrap sling. oh how i love that pocket. i would just leave the bag in the car. i didn't have a problem carrying it when i needed to when since it was a backpack one. until it got stolen when my car was broken into at christmas. i was soo lucky that all i had in there were some prefolds and an old prorap.

she has been out of dipes for several months now, so i don't have to worry about it. which is great since i am now using my hotsling pouch all the time and have no pocket! i still miss the pocket though because i put my keys in there and my cell. and even some cheerios in baggie for abby. but, i LOVE my pouch for ease of use and compactness. can't have everything!

i like the idea of a fanny pack!
#14 of 25 Old 07-27-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabmommie
hmmmmmm....so no shoulder diaper bags unless I'm willing to bring the stroller along huh?
I carry Owen in the hipcarry hotsling. I have a diaper bag that if I need to carry I put it on so it crosses my body. I put it on like my pouch but on the opposite shoulder. So DS is on one hip and the diaper bag is on the other.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#15 of 25 Old 07-28-2004, 12:39 AM

ok, tonight i carried bella in my kozy on my back and my VB bag on my sholder, she had fun pushing it off every couple of minutes LOL.

vera bradley does make a diaper bag but mine is the same just without the matching chaging pad
#16 of 25 Old 07-28-2004, 02:44 AM

OOOh the fanny pack sounds like a great idea!

I use a smallish, yet surprisingly stuffable when I need to purse. It looks like a beach tote sorta, yet it is a purse. It's just big enough when I need it to be, holds about 4 prefolds and a cover and a sm ditty bag. max
#17 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
well ladies, you did it! you motivated me to go out without my diaper bag. i realised, here i am pushing a stroller just to carry the diaper bag and then since i have the stroller i end up lugging everything but the kitchen sink too!

i should mention that dd has been ec''ing since she was ~6 months old and does better out of the house than inside. still i haven't stopped carrying around the diaper bag, though she is now 13 months old!

so the other day when dd went and stood by the front door i thought, instead of going through this hourly ritual of walking just up to the main road and then having to pick her up and bring her home, why not go prepared? so with a sling on one shoulder and my little potty in a canvas bag on the other, i still had two hands free to catch her as she and i walked all the way to the bank (about 8 minutes walk for an adult). at some point i carried her but then we came out of the bank and i let her walk again. she was amazed at this sudden freedom to walk in any direction she chose. after some point she simply looked bewildered so i picked her up again and walked home. SO EASY when you have the sling handy - this is a home-made unpadded sling - very light. so is the little potty.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#18 of 25 Old 08-02-2004, 12:02 AM

A mini Jansport back pack

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#19 of 25 Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 AM

When I was slinging ds full-time (he now prefers the stroller, and my back doesn't argue), I would use a bag with a long strap and cross it over my chest, like another poster mentioned. I'd just put it on the opposite side of a sling, or with my Ergo, I'd put on the bag first, before getting ds in. It worked just great . Of course, I love, love, love bags and am already drooling over a few others for the next (yet to be conceived, lol) baby.

And hi, Rumi! Nice to see another EC'er . We don't mess with diaper bags anymore either, though I still stick him in one when we're out.
#20 of 25 Old 08-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's been a long time, but...

I'd carry DD in the sling and used a sturdy backpack that I've had for years(pre-DS, gift from DH) to carry whatever I might need for her. My personal stuff was either in a pocket in the backpack or in my little purse that I wear slung on/from my hip. Wallet in jeans of course....

"What will you do once you know?"
#21 of 25 Old 08-02-2004, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=AdrianneWe]I use a backpack while carrying ds in a sling - side-saddle style (he's straddling my right hip). I tell him to raise his arm up so I can get the backpack strap on my shoulder, then he can rest his arm on my shoulder.

QUOTE]

That is what I do except my bag isnt a backpack so it just goes over the shoulder opposite the one with the hotsling over it.
#22 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 11:48 AM

We alternate between our Mountainsmith lumbar pack and our Urban Fibers messenger bag. Depends on the sling...

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#23 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 05:02 PM

I carry a smallish messenger bag as my purse and Istuff diapers and stuff in there and put dd in sling on opposite shoulder. I have only had my kozy a couple days but I think the messenger bag would be fine for this too...
#24 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 05:21 PM

Sorry if I sound ignorant by not finding out first if your slings have tails ........but.....I took some mesh and sewed a pocket with elastic at the top,for my sling It can hold a couple of trim CDs/Wipes cloth in pampers box/checkbookwallet/a pkg of crackers keys and a PFand small toy..All elsestays in the car....I usually go there every couple of hours anyway! (POTTY) HTH
T
#25 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 06:02 PM

I carry ds on my hip w/a girasol and crossed over the other way is a messenger style bag I got from Old Navy. Dh says I lok like a pack mule . I have tons of other bags but this one holds a ton, including several cloth diapers, which we know take up a lot of space.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page