do you pick print based on baby's sex or your personality? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a girl. i plan on having more kids in the future and often think about the print i am buying and if i would use it with a boy. i tend towards girly prints. love flowers, especially.

so, do you match your sling with the sex of your babe or your personal tastes?

does that make sense? would you put your boy in a big old flowery sling?
#2 of 25 Old 07-29-2004, 07:58 PM

That's a good question. I made a reversible ABC sling where one side is GN stripes--sort of muted jewel tones--and the other side is a dragonfly/ladybug print that I would call girly if not for the fact that DH picked it and plans to wear it himself I was hoping to strike a balance between "boyish" and "coordinating with my own wardrobe."
#3 of 25 Old 07-29-2004, 09:24 PM

I buy what I like and what matches our personalities. My son wears girly diapers (pink, flowers, whatever), and I let him play with dolls. He has slings and doll diapers. Plus my son has long hair and is fairly "pretty" so even dressed in all blue, people think he is a girl (maybe because I paint his toe nails if he wants and put his hair in a barrette if he wants--because I do). He is still all boy! Has not emasculated him. :LOL I do not genderize much, so I think it is great to let a boy ride in a flowery sling. My pouches are solid--one red, one black. But I would buy pink, purple, etc. too.

I say buy what makes you happy. If you like flowers, go for it. You have to wear it too. Not just your baby

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#4 of 25 Old 07-29-2004, 11:34 PM

Totally by my personality. I'm not a big gender-specific person - my son wears pink dipes and flowered dipes, as well as baseball dipes and jeans. It never actually occured to me to pick a sling based on gender, lol! Of course, I have 2 mayas, a Taylor Made batik sling, and an Ellaroo, so they don't really lean one way or the other. When I get a Hotsling, though, I will pick based solely on what I like.
#5 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 02:16 AM

I buy based on my personal taste. I just got my custom Kozy, and I'd say it's more of a girly print, even though I'll be wearing my son. Purple-ish and paisleys and flowery.

meco~ That's such a great attitude... I would love to buy more cutesy dipes for my ds, but dh on my one purple kissaluv I bought. Looks so cute on ds, though!
#6 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

interesting comments guys! not sure why, but that always crosses my mind when i am buying a new sling. it shouldn't, but it does. hopefully one day i will evolve into a more gender neutral thinking. i do love to see boys with their babies and slings. and abby has toy cars and trucks and tools, too. so maybe i am getting closer.
#7 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Hmm... I guess when it comes to slings I choose what I personally like, what I would wear clothing wise!
#8 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 02:05 PM

I would choose my sling based on my personal preferences, not my child's gender.
#9 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 02:32 PM

Since I sort of see the sling as a fashion accessory to my outfit, I would match the sling to me, and whatever gender of child I had, I would put em in it!
#10 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 02:33 PM

I do both -- pick patterns I like but that I consider okay for either gender. My Kozy is in a custom pattern that is green with waves and goldfish. My shopping cart cover is green sushi print. My MnM is a deep burgandy (gift). And I have a tattered Rev Jan that is an olive/khaki color.

If you like florals, lyou could ook for ones that strike you as less "girly." There are some fun Hawaiian print florals that have surfboards and stuff mixed in.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#11 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 03:27 PM

So far I have picked patterns based on what I want to wear, not that dd is a girl. They've all been pretty gender neutral though - cream KKAFP, blue/purple-ish Maya wrap, blue batik hotsling, and blue/green stripe Kozy. I might think about it more if I had a boy, cause dh would freak if I put a boy in something really girly. I'm a little more funky than flowery though, so it probably won't ever be an issue.

April
Mama to and
#12 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 05:34 PM

I have a hot pink sling with black star patches, and a lot of people assume Milo is a girl. Not a big deal!
#13 of 25 Old 07-30-2004, 07:35 PM

I got with colors that are more "me" than anything else. I am not really a print person at all though I love stripes (getting a stripped Kozy) so if I pick a print it is that and usually gn colors. My hotsling is aqua-ish and while I have a boy now if our next is a girl I will still totally use it. I wear a LOT of blue (aqua and baby blue) so it goes with my wardrobe.

When I can I go with natrual though. We have a natural Moby and have a natural PIP on the way.
#14 of 25 Old 07-31-2004, 12:25 PM

I have to agree that I see my pouch as more a fashion accessory for me that DC, as I am the one wearing it. So I usually purchase a baby carrier according to my tastes, to match my wardrobe.
#15 of 25 Old 07-31-2004, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I choose based on the colors I love. #22 from MayaWrap.

"What will you do once you know?"
#16 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 12:21 AM

I guess I'm in the minority.... I saw one hotsling I liked but it was pink and (to me) too girly. I ended up with a blue one BUT it does have flower patterns (on both sides, reversable hotsling). So I striked a balance between blue (for my DS) and flowers for me I don't plan on more kids for a while but if I have a girl then my hotsling would work too

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#17 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 01:54 PM

I usually end up choosing for style purposes. Will it be universal? Will it look good with my clothes? Will hubby be ashamed to wear it? lol. THEN I might concider gender.
#18 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 03:10 PM

I would not want to get too concerned about matching baby accessories, or clothes for that matter, to the 'rules' for baby's gender. I figure they will have the rest of their life to get indoctrinated into gender role stereotyping, I would rather it not start with me now.

Most people think my little girl is a boy, though...
#19 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 04:37 PM

I picked based on my personal taste & which print I liked that would match my clothing.

I have a Kangaroo Korner padded sling that I sent in my own fabric for. I really like that it's something that I hand picked so it's really suited to my taste. It's a navy background with a white Hawaiian floral print. I also have a KK fleece pouch. It's a charcoal grey but I didn't get to pick since I bought it used.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#20 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 04:45 PM

I pick for myself as well. Especially now during the summer when I wear basically tank tops, the sling is almost all others see on me.
I've got a light light blue kk pouch, a blue oxford sling (a discontinued kissasling so I'm not overly fond of print), and a multi-colored ellaroo wrap. Dd rides in all of them and is often mistaken for a boy when in blue.
Although an older man also mistook her for a boy when she was wearing a blue dress with bows and flowers on it because "back in his day, boys wore blue and girls wore pink." :LOL

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

#21 of 25 Old 08-01-2004, 11:45 PM

I pick for myself, and even my Dh who gets all huffy about Orion being in anything "girly" doesn't blink at my silk flowered kozy or my purple wrap... my other slings are blue and red and black, so those are pretty gender neutral...

I just bet Dh is gonna love it when I buy ds a dolly for his birthday coming up

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#22 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 PM

kind of both...

I have a homemade ring sling for each child.. Lindsey's best color is turquoise, Josh's is green.. so those are the color fabrics I picked, but they're kind of tie dye looking so they've got my personality as well.

I'm dying for a KKAFP - and that will be colors for me (If anyone is selling, I need a large, snapped for the left shoulder, cream colored or in blues or greens)
#23 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM

I choose fabric that I like, but I think gender enters into it a little. I like bright colors, but maybe wouldnt wear my bright coral wrap with a boy. Since I have a girl, it's not a big deal. When I am choosing something for DH to wear DD in, then it has to be more masculine. He wouldnt be caught dead in a coral wrap, but likes his plaid sling and I hope he will like our new Mei Tai, with a red mdragon on the back.
#24 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 03:21 PM

I picked my Maya Wrap (which is blue and purple) for two reasons. #1 my fav color is purple and #2 Elle has huge blue eyes so I liked it because whenever she wears blue her eyes really stand out My hotsling I picked (china stretch) because I liked the pattern.
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#25 of 25 Old 08-03-2004, 06:08 PM

I pick something that I like. I'm not into floral prints or cutsie kid prints, but if I was and I liked them, I'd put ds in anything.
So long as he's close and I'm comfy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page